Let the passenger off, or continue?

vheissu

During pushback, you have a maintenance issue which requires a return to gate. After an hour delay, the problem is resolved and you board back up and push. After starting both engines, completing your taxi flow, and calling for the checklist, one of the FAs calls up front.

"Hey. We have a passenger that is looking at her phone app, and isn't going to make her connection at the hub. She wants off the plane."

What do you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Is the cabin ready for takeoff?"

It's not a private jet.

If you return to the gate, everyone's going to miss their connection.
We had almost this exact scenario, but a lady was having a panic attack and wanted off.

In that case we did return to the gate.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Make it clear that if she's not having a medical issue or very pressing reason to get off the plane, she can go to the hub. The hub is where all the flights to her connecting city are leaving from anyway, there will be other flights. Plus, if it's a mechanical issue, doesn't that usually fall under stuff the airline will book you a hotel room for?

"Is the cabin ready for takeoff?"

It's not a private jet.

If you return to the gate, everyone's going to miss their connection.
All I want to hear is "CABIN SECURE," or "CABIN NOT SECURE, (estimated time) UNTIL READY."

I had a guy have some sort of cardiac event right after pushback and the waveoff the other day; we came right back to the gate from which we departed with zero muss, fuss. EMS came out, he decided (well, they kinda decided for him) that he'd take a later flight; we departed uneventfully about 35 min later once everything was squared away.

Medical issues are a gate return. Being bummed that you're gonna be stuck at the Hartsfield-Jackson-Atlanta Intergalactic Hair Emporium for longer is not a valid gate-return reason.

All I want to hear is "CABIN SECURE," or "CABIN NOT SECURE, (estimated time) UNTIL READY."

I had a guy have some sort of cardiac event right after pushback and the waveoff the other day; we came right back to the gate from which we departed with zero muss, fuss. EMS came out, he decided (well, they kinda decided for him) that he'd take a later flight; we departed uneventfully about 35 min later once everything was squared away.

Medical issues are a gate return. Being bummed that you're gonna be stuck at the Hartsfield-Jackson-Atlanta Intergalactic Hair Emporium for longer is not a valid gate-return reason.

Bingo.

I could only imagine hopping on the Shinkansen Super Express to Tokyo Station and demanding the conductor immediately stop and take me back to the station because I was going to miss my connection.

That would be an example of the "Japanese Yes".

Bingo.

I could only imagine hopping on the Shinkansen Super Express to Tokyo Station and demanding the conductor immediately stop and take me back to the station because I was going to miss my connection.

That would be an example of the "Japanese Yes".
Once under way, the Captain's permission is required to disembark.

Permission denied.

Salute received… flaps one… (flap handle one!)… call for taxi. :)
Actual video of my returning the waveoff yesterday:
tenor.gif

I thought this had been hashed out and it was decided that we can't take people hostage. If they want off, you gotta let them off.

I don't like it, but I'm about 80% sure that's what we were told at sure jet.

I thought this had been hashed out and it was decided that we can't take people hostage. If they want off, you gotta let them off.

I don't like it, but I'm about 80% sure that's what we were told at sure jet.
That's kind of the way I look at it. If they want off and I can get them off reasonably without any delay to the rest of the passengers I'll let them off. If it is going to cause delay or make us miss a flow time they are staying on board unless they start causing a scene.

We had a guy a few months ago. Had a flow of about thirty minutes. As soon as we pushed they told us it was going to be another 45 minutes. Guy in the back got irate and started getting nasty to the flight attendants. That's already a bad situation... I'm not about to make it worse by forcing him to stay on. We went back to the gate, he got off, and we still made our flow time.

Just like everything else, there is no one right way to handle something.

Back