Let the passenger off, or continue?

Actual video of my returning the waveoff yesterday:
tenor.gif

I call BS. No hat.

As an fa, I just tell the affected Pax that once we've pushed, he/she is along for the ride. I call the front office and say "someone wants off for a non emergency reason, cabin secure for t/o." Then everyone has done their jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make it clear that if she's not having a medical issue or very pressing reason to get off the plane, she can go to the hub. The hub is where all the flights to her connecting city are leaving from anyway, there will be other flights. Plus, if it's a mechanical issue, doesn't that usually fall under stuff the airline will book you a hotel room for?

Don't invite that upon yourself. If they haven't volunteered that information, don't give it to her.

During pushback, you have a maintenance issue which requires a return to gate. After an hour delay, the problem is resolved and you board back up and push. After starting both engines, completing your taxi flow, and calling for the checklist, one of the FAs calls up front.

"Hey. We have a passenger that is looking at her phone app, and isn't going to make her connection at the hub. She wants off the plane."

What do you do?

Direct the flight attendant to tell the passenger that we'll take her back to the gate, where law enforcement will be meeting her to discuss why she failed to turn off her cell phone when directed to by the crew.

I can see the headline now... "PASSENGER KICKED OFF PLANE AND ARRESTED AFTER AIRLINE MADE HER MISS JOB INTERVIEW"

There will be a very poorly shot cell phone video of the incident in portrait mode, people will sue, others will get fired, and united stock price will drop 2 percent.

I get the nuclear option, but dang, that's a strategic weapon. No need to get out the house atomics for a tactical situation.

"OK, we'll return to the gate. Your credit card will be charged for the $3,695 cost of doing this, plus the $12,469 to compensate the rest of the passengers for their losses and inconvenience."

Insert your own numbers, but this would pretty much stop this sort of nonsense.

Bad behavior has to have consequences, or else it will spread.

"OK, we'll return to the gate. Your credit card will be charged for the $3,695 cost of doing this, plus the $12,469 to compensate the rest of the passengers for their losses and inconvenience."

Insert your own numbers, but this would pretty much stop this sort of nonsense.

Bad behavior has to have consequences, or else it will spread.

It already has. The airline industry isn’t the only industry either

"Hey. We have a passenger that is looking at her phone app, and isn't going to make her connection at the hub. She wants off the plane."
"Tell her we're really sorry she's going to miss her connection. She can speak to the customer service/gate agent when she gets to KXYZ about re-booking.".

Assume the sale guys.

"I'm sorry, she has missed her opportunity to deplane and gate returning now is impossible because it will inconvenience all of the other passengers." Unless the pax goes crazy, we go. If they wait until right before pushback to make the decision to get off, of course they may deplane but I make it clear that station operations won't be able to pull their bag and it will go without them.

During pushback, you have a maintenance issue which requires a return to gate. After an hour delay, the problem is resolved and you board back up and push. After starting both engines, completing your taxi flow, and calling for the checklist, one of the FAs calls up front.

What do you do?

Thank goodness for SWA, Spirit and Frontier, my holiday weekend at work went smoothly! :)

What do you do?

As a former flight attendant, I think that it would be wrong to inconvenience all the other passengers for one passenger. That said, if there are not a significant # of planes waiting for takeoff, and returning to the gate would not mean a significant amount of llost time, I would return and let her off.

As a former flight attendant, I think that it would be wrong to inconvenience all the other passengers for one passenger. That said, if there are not a significant # of planes waiting for takeoff, and returning to the gate would not mean a significant amount of llost time, I would return and let her off.

Absolutely spot on.

Never take a passenger who doesn’t want to travel. They may be concealing a medical reason not to go.

It’s not you, the crew, inconveniencing 50, 100, or 400 other passengers, so that’s not a valid reason.
If the pilots are not advised, there is no decision to make, but you could be left with a more difficult situation to resolve later.

Never take a problem in to the air, that could have been resolved on the ground.

If the FA doesn’t pass on the request, claiming Sterile Cockpit, that’s their call. But, if in their best judgment, they do let you know, you must act accordingly.

As this sounds more like an interview question to me, show some PIC grit, and make the difficult decision.
There are steps you can take before, like advising the passenger of the cost and inconvenience to everyone else. In some countries there will be security protocols: remain in custody, until the aircraft has landed. This quite often will persuade someone to stay.

But if they don’t, you are required to let a passenger disembark upon request. Otherwise, this may be considered false arrest. Yes, it’s inconvenient. But there’s a reason that 4th strip is earned.

I’ve had three memorable incidents involving this type of case, but with an appropriate sharing of information to the remaining passengers, they have all been satisfied by the way we, as an airline, have handled the event.

In each of the cases, our (crew) response was “not according to the book”, because ‘that book hadn’t been written, yet’, but was nevertheless the best solution...

1) Passenger not denied, but convinced to request to offload themselves - due to drugs/destination mismatch
2) All passengers deplaned (400) prior to departure, due passenger security concerns
3) Is it OK to restrain a person for 9 hours instead of diverting?

In every case we were alerted to something odd by an alert, attentive FA.

Happy to share more details, if anyone’s interested...

I think the phrase “time to spare, go by air!” keeps everyone onside!

Back