About to pull the trigger- DC OneX

RickJames

Impressive Member
Upgrading from my decade old DC 10-13.4's. Just looking for headset insight from any David Clarke One X users. I'm leaning towards the DC OneX v.s. LS Zulu2 and Bose A20. Any and all thoughts, advice and opinions greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking of doing the same- have heard the A20 is slightly better, but there's no beating DC's service.

I've got both the One-X and A20. I used the A20 for over 3 years before buying the One-X and I seem to only be using the One-X for the last 8 months I've been working so maybe I should alternate in the A20 a bit.

My only real bother with the A20 is the travel case. It's just a bag (a nice little one with a zippered side pouch to store batteries and the like) and not padded at all so I actually put the One-X in the Bose case when I have to travel with it.

The one big difference I noticed with switching from the Bose to the David Clark's was that I could much better hear when props were out of sync. I had some co-workers that could get annoyed when I flew with them who used Lightspeeds and I thought my hearing might have been going on me as I'd have to pop out an ear to sync the props totally, but with the ANR on the Bose I couldn't tell if they were out of sync much, but when I switched to the David Clark's I could definitely tell. I think the construction on the Bose headset might be a bit sturdier, but that's because it's a heavier build.

Bose used to be assembled in the USA, but now it's in Mexico. David Clark's are built in the USA. I can say great things about both Bose's and David Clark's service. I prefer the One-X to the A20, but it's a very close comparison and I'm sure on certain days I might prefer the A20.

If you are a David Clark fan go with the One-X. I've had mine for over a year and love them. I agree with srn121 about being able to pick out subtle sounds with the One-X that you would miss with the A20. The Blue tooth on the One-x has worked well, no issues with using it for calls or audio.

Telex has also introduced the 8, which is an upgraded version of the 850. Saw one at OSH and it was an improvement over the 850.

Telex has also introduced the 8, which is an upgraded version of the 850. Saw one at OSH and it was an improvement over the 850.

I like that it's ANR without the batteries. I check Telex's site several times a year hoping they finally offer something with bluetooth and I guess I need to keep waiting. I've always heard great things about their headsets and wish there were some more competitors in the bluetooth ANR market.

Well, I only went by what the Telex guy told me, I didn't try it out. Without batteries, you aren't going to have BT.

The 850, and I assume the 8 as well, is very sensitive to the mike bias voltage (the voltage supplied by the a/c to make the mike work), which is what it uses to power the ANR. If the plug is mis-wired or it isn't putting out the spec voltage, neither the ANR or mike will work. There's always a couple of aircraft in every fleet with the wiring messed up, so it won't work. The 750 or other headsets (including battery powered sets) are much more tolerant of that, so the problem rarely gets reported to MX.

My fleet has Telex 750s as ship sets, so my 850 pretty much just stays in my bag now. As much as I loath using a communal headset, it's too much drama to futz with multiple times a day.

Best,
Rich

I'm pretty well sold on the OneX's durability, domestic production, and brand loyalty to the manufacturer that has given me worry-free headset ops since '07. Thanks to all for the input. Looking forward to the write-off come Curse-The-IRS time.

One X user here, went with them for same reasons as you listed above. Have roughly 200 hours on them and have not been disappointed. Definitely a huge improvement over the 13.4's which I was using as well before in the comfort and sound quality areas. I wore them 10.3 hours straight from FL to Oshkosh last week no issue, which would've been a death sentence in the 13.4's! Bluetooth is nice too!

In my opinion the One-x is more comfortable and has better air flow through the ears. A20 has better sound quality and ANR. I love the one-x and am surprised I'm not seeing more of them around.

Back