SkyWest to fly E175s for Alaska, Gets 12 PCL CR2s

WestIndian425

Just saw the news. The E175 were long rumored, so that's no surprise. However, I didn't see the 12 CRJ-200s being transferred from Endeavor coming. Delta wants to make Endeavor a solely CR9 operator.

While I would love to see more Alaska pilots flying these routes with AAG-owned airplanes, I think it's rather narrow-minded for us as a pilot group to say, "if I can't fly it, no one can!" There's revenue out there and the company is going for it. If it increases profits, shores up paying passengers, boosts the company's position, then that's good enough for me. This is not a matter of SkyWest "taking" Alaska or Horizon jobs. These are new routes and the current fleet and pilot group at Alaska are tapped out to the max. They're training new pilots as fast as the oh-so-encumbered training program can and we're getting new jets as they come available from Boeing.

Alaska is not interested in buying any other fleet type. They're sold on the one fleet-type concept.

LaserRacer said:
Replacements for the 700s?

Negative. ....we have 800s and 900s coming to replace the 400s. The 175s are for new routes announced out of SEA and PDX.

SEA - MKE
SEA - OKC
PDX - STL

Last edited:
ekirl.jpg

This is why pilots need to understand EXCLUSIVE scope vs INCLUSIVE scope. The former being, as another poster well stated, "If I can't fly it, no one can". The latter being "buy what you want, make as many certificates you want, just give us one list"

It's a subtle, yet extraordinarily important, difference.

ClarkGriswold said:
Well they should be interested.

Really? Well feel free to contact Alaska Airlines planners and Management and state your case as to why they should add the E-175 instead of getting more 737s.

Seriously though Alaska is doing very well thus far and I trust that the people making these decisions know what they are doing.

They're training new pilots as fast as the oh-so-encumbered training program can and we're getting new jets as they come available from Boeing.
Well, they're not helping the training saturation with news like this. Every QX FO I've talked to today is headed for the door.

Back