AZ Army Guard crew suspended for using Blackhawk to drop candy

Oxman

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...pping-candy-halloween-party-article-1.1997083

blackhawk4n-2-web.jpg

A National Guard chopper crew scared Arizona residents by making a midair candy drop to a private Halloween party in their Black Hawk have been suspended.

Locals living near 36th St. and Camelback Road in Phoenix were left more terrified than usual late Oct. 31 when the military whirlybird swooped close to their homes, ....

PHX is a fairly progressive city, but there are pockets of people who if they see an unmarked car or ESPECIALLY a "black helicopter", they flip their ever-loving conspiracy-nut lids.

That area for sure. Retirees who watch too much cable news and are sure FEMA implanted chips in their head after Katrina.

Remember, some pilot returning from the range pumped a few flares out of his F-16 about a decade ago and it grew into a new industry of "The Phoenix Lights" conspiratorial books, shows, appearances and experts. You know, there was a massive spaceship over the valley and Pelosi put the kibosh on the reporting.

First, this is candyass (no pun) in that they had to slow down and descend towards the home to make the drop. They should've been competent enough to cruise by at speed and make the drop, hitting the intended yard, where all it would've appeared to be is a helicopter passing overhead.

Btw, the man interviewed in the Fox10 broadcast complaining, will be disappearing shortly.......

Hope it doesn't come to pass but this would be a crap way to end a career........

PHX is a fairly progressive city, but there are pockets of people who if they see an unmarked car or ESPECIALLY a "black helicopter", they flip their ever-loving conspiracy-nut lids.

That area for sure. Retirees who watch too much cable news and are sure FEMA implanted chips in their head after Katrina.

Remember, some pilot returning from the range pumped a few flares out of his F-16 about a decade ago and it grew into a new industry of "The Phoenix Lights" conspiratorial books, shows, appearances and experts. You know, there was a massive spaceship over the valley and Pelosi put the kibosh on the reporting.
silence .jpg

Hope it doesn't come to pass but this would be a crap way to end a career........

The AZ Army (and Air Guard) have both been embroiled in bad PR in the past couple of years, with rampant sexual harassment and hostile workplace, as well as financial scams and scandals with travel vouchers and orders with people garnering 6-figures worth of extra pays. These along with the standard nepotism practices of the Guard that AZ has been getting highlighted for, make it not a good time to do something that will get the proverbial arty shifted upon oneself.

Back in the mid 90's I was hanging out at my favorite spot (LNA) and they were having this guy in a Santa suit come in on Bell-47 to drop off some presents to some kids on the ramp. I was on far side of the field but I could see they were coming in pretty hot. The copter went below my sight behind some planes but the next thing I saw was pieces flying into the air in all directions. Luckily the landing spot was far enough from the spectators that amazing no one on the ground was injured. About 5 planes on the ramp had holes in them. Santa had some pretty bad burns to his face (fake beards are flammable) and I think the pilot was ok for the most part. The only aviation accident I've ever witnessed. And hopefully my last. Not sure why I posted this here but this story just made me think of it.

Every flight in the Army has to be breifed then approved by the commander.So assuming the crew was honest in its description of what they intended, it's the commander who should be disciplined.

@fast89pony, a quick search of the NTSB shows that there have been 33 reported incidents at LNA since 1990. Several of which were fatal. I surprised you only saw the one. If I remember correctly that 47 was just out of restoration.

@fast89pony, a quick search of the NTSB shows that there have been 33 reported incidents at LNA since 1990. Several of which were fatal. I surprised you only saw the one. If I remember correctly that 47 was just out of restoration.

Ya only saw 1 happen live but came across a few right after they happened. I lost a good friend and co-worker there in 09 when he lost his engine on takeoff on 15 and tried turning back to 27.

More terrified than usual? That Black Hawk must have been wearing one badass Halloween costume :)

Hope that private party MC ends up with the fuel bill for that stunt instead of passing it on to taxpayers . . . just sayin'

First, this is candyass (no pun) in that they had to slow down and descend towards the home to make the drop. They should've been competent enough to cruise by at speed and make the drop, hitting the intended yard, where all it would've appeared to be is a helicopter passing overhead.

A sling load full of candy corn---that would have worked, but it would definitely leave a mark.

Back