AZ Army Guard crew suspended for using Blackhawk to drop candy

First, this is candyass (no pun) in that they had to slow down and descend towards the home to make the drop. They should've been competent enough to cruise by at speed and make the drop, hitting the intended yard, where all it would've appeared to be is a helicopter passing overhead.

Btw, the man interviewed in the Fox10 broadcast complaining, will be disappearing shortly.......

And then the candy would have hit the children's hands/faces at roughly the cruise velocity of a Blackhawk helicopter... ;)

Sigh. This is why we can't have nice things. Some idiot warrant officers in Mass decided it would be a great idea to hover over James Taylor's house at night with their landing light on. Poof - our only low-level training area gone. Good going, geniuses.

Sigh. This is why we can't have nice things. Some idiot warrant officers in Mass decided it would be a great idea to hover over James Taylor's house at night with their landing light on. Poof - our only low-level training area gone. Good going, geniuses.
Ah, should have just been making low passes over 26 at PSF 4x a night instead like real pilots.

Sitting over the top of Jame's Taylor's house in New England is akin to hovering over Belichick's Nantucket house. Yeah, neither one are native son's of Mass, but they might as well be. They are lucky they didn't get thrown out of New England by their feet and faces put up at every gas station as criminals of the Commonwealth. James Taylor's hard core base is Tanglewood, so they wouldn't be armed, however if those southcounty hill people made the trip they might get shot to pieces with double aught.

The AZ Army (and Air Guard) have both been embroiled in bad PR in the past couple of years, with rampant sexual harassment and hostile workplace, as well as financial scams and scandals with travel vouchers and orders with people garnering 6-figures worth of extra pays. These along with the standard nepotism practices of the Guard that AZ has been getting highlighted for, make it not a good time to do something that will get the proverbial arty shifted upon oneself.

Yeah if you're going to call rounds in on yourself, at least shout out a "danger close"! Not to smart here.........

Every flight in the Army has to be breifed then approved by the commander.So assuming the crew was honest in its description of what they intended, it's the commander who should be disciplined.
Of course if there's a briefing to cover the "air drop", then it's a no harm, no foul situation.

The crew would be covered but the Briefing Officer might have some splainin' to do!!

Ah, should have just been making low passes over 26 at PSF 4x a night instead like real pilots.

Sitting over the top of Jame's Taylor's house in New England is akin to hovering over Belichick's Nantucket house. Yeah, neither one are native son's of Mass, but they might as well be. They are lucky they didn't get thrown out of New England by their feet and faces put up at every gas station as criminals of the Commonwealth. James Taylor's hard core base is Tanglewood, so they wouldn't be armed, however if those southcounty hill people made the trip they might get shot to pieces with double aught.

You've lost me. You live around here now or something?

I only spent 16 or so years up in New England. 14 of it in PSF area.

Ah.

Was confused about the "real pilots" part. Sounded like unnecessary snark when hovering over anybody's house, even a dooshnozzle like James Taylor, is a horrible idea in my business.

And then the candy would have hit the children's hands/faces at roughly the cruise velocity of a Blackhawk helicopter... ;)

They're not supposed to catch the things. Supposed to hit a DZ, then be recovered by ground forces. :)

Ah.

Was confused about the "real pilots" part. Sounded like unnecessary snark when hovering over anybody's house, even a dooshnozzle like James Taylor, is a horrible idea in my business.
Don't know what you're referring to, seemed like they made regular runs over PSF late at night, were very professional and very courteous to GA pilots in the area, and didn't hover over anyone's house blasting landing lights. If you were confused about if I was familiar with the area or lived up there why did you ask about the "real pilots" part? Seemed like the real pilots went home that night. Don't know dick about choppers or military ops, to me it seems like kid pilots got the chopper for the night from the outside looking in on the situation.

Anyway, James Taylor may not be on your Christmas card list, but he's dumped millions into fund raisers over the years locally, and has contributed a lot to the community. He's always been very kind to me and other's the times we've crossed paths, of course I was either carrying his bags off the plane or years prior serving him food and pouring his water so he probably just wanted to make sure I didn't spit on anything. Don't know him personally.

It was a darn good idea when the Air Force did it!

CandyBombers.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know what you're referring to, seemed like they made regular runs over PSF late at night, were very professional and very courteous to GA pilots in the area, and didn't hover over anyone's house blasting landing lights. If you were confused about if I was familiar with the area or lived up there why did you ask about the "real pilots" part? Seemed like the real pilots went home that night. Don't know dick about choppers or military ops, to me it seems like kid pilots got the chopper for the night from the outside looking in on the situation.

Anyway, James Taylor may not be on your Christmas card list, but he's dumped millions into fund raisers over the years locally, and has contributed a lot to the community. He's always been very kind to me and other's the times we've crossed paths, of course I was either carrying his bags off the plane or years prior serving him food and pouring his water so he probably just wanted to make sure I didn't spit on anything. Don't know him personally.

My bad... I misunderstood you. Read you completely wrong. Apologies.

My bad... I misunderstood you. Read you completely wrong. Apologies.
I'm sorry I didn't mean to make it a thing. I'm taking a break from writing another 1666 words today and may have gone on autopilot typing. I apologize if I got long winded and sounded like I was looking for an apology. You're fine. 100% fine. I apologize.

PS: Edit: if you spend more than 5 minutes in the Berkshires or even some of Vermont, any woman over the age of 45 has a James Taylor story and they swoon. We've all got a "time I met the Dunkin' Donuts guy at Stop and Shop or Guido's" but I don't get wet thinking about his vast donut fortune.

New England is filled with odd folks, Taylor probably just fits in well.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to make it a thing. I'm taking a break from writing another 1666 words today and may have gone on autopilot typing. I apologize if I got long winded and sounded like I was looking for an apology. You're fine. 100% fine. I apologize.

PS: Edit: if you spend more than 5 minutes in the Berkshires or even some of Vermont, any woman over the age of 45 has a James Taylor story and they swoon. We've all got a "time I met the Dunkin' Donuts guy at Stop and Shop or Guido's" but I don't get wet thinking about his vast donut fortune.

New England is filled with odd folks, Taylor probably just fits in well.

Nah... For whatever reason I thought you were making fun of guys doing patterns at PSF while making the Taylor hovering okay. I've got no excuse. ;)

My only issue with j Taylor is his (legit) complaints to the gov did get our training area shut down for a while.

Nah... For whatever reason I thought you were making fun of guys doing patterns at PSF while making the Taylor hovering okay. I've got no excuse. ;)

My only issue with j Taylor is his (legit) complaints to the gov did get our training area shut down for a while.
Yeah... I know celebrities do their best to mess up aviation in general. If it isn't Oprah angry at people flying over her house by an airport she chose to buy near, or Alec Baldwin word's with friends, or Adam Sandler wanting the G4 guys to do "just one" barrel roll, or that singer helped get his helo lose his licence. I tell ya. Angelina Jolie was a little upset at NWA because she couldn't bring her litter of kid into first class with her, so she bought all the first class seats on the -900. Celebrities should just throw their money at a problem instead of causing waves.

Guy hover's over the house? Buy the whole base pizza, beer, and a bunch of movie passes if they promise to beat that clown down at night with the soap al la Full Medal Jacket. Then, buy them more landing lights and ask politely to have a conversation about professionalism with everyone that wasn't beat into the infirmary with soap.

Every flight in the Army has to be breifed then approved by the commander.So assuming the crew was honest in its description of what they intended, it's the commander who should be disciplined.
I can't see this being a problem as far as training/currency goes. As far as PR events, if this were advertised a little probably would have been fine. Had they been throwing MRE's could have been an issue just due to weight, but candy, that had to have been reasonable.

Back