New GI Bill and Flight Training

False. The part 141 school then needs to be approved by the VA. That's not so hard of a process...just an annoying one to accomplish. This training all gets accomplished under the non-college degree side, which has a $10k/year cap. The advantage to this side is you can knock out ratings as fast as you want provided you have funding available.

Separate from that, if you got to a college with an aviation department (Institute of Higher Learning in VA vernacular), you can then qualify for about $18K/year in funding. This option goes slower, but it gets you a degree as well. I'll leave the argument of "Are aviation degrees valuable" to other threads. Suffice to say, anything which you paid $0 for certainly has some value....

This^^^^^^^

I just wrapped up my instrument (yesterday as a matter of fact) under Post 9/11 benefits. I am the schools first student to complete a rating using VA benefits so there's been a few learning experiences thrown in there but overall it's going very well. I paid out of pocket to get my private from them and plan to go through the ratings with them (hopefully they'll buy a twin).

Under the vocational side of things you get $10,000/ school year (this year is 10,300 and next year is something like 10,900). As I'm sure some of you know, the VA's "school year" is 1AUG-31JUL. So, I have a couple grand left over to start my commercial and then 1AUG the new money becomes available and I can power through that. I plan to have my CFI by the end of the year doing it this way.

As a new one that I learned not so long ago for the rare people in my line of work...

As a Flight Engineer retiring from the military, you can tap into the VA VocRehab program to retrain in a civilian job fitting your military training. As a former Flight Engineer, mostly phased out within the civilian world, you can receive funds to retrain and receive all of your pilot certificates, up to and including CFI (maybe even CFII), without tapping into the GI Bill at all.

Have a couple retired FE's paving the way for me at University of Oklahoma utilizing this. Hope to be joining them in a little over a year.

That is very interesting....especially as a current Navy C-40 loadmaster with aspirations of a crew chief slot...

I'm still trying to find a school in Southern California that will take the post 9/11. The only one is Orange Coast College, which aside from being slightly out of the way geographically, appears to be run by a prima-donna who told me I would have to re-take my private pilot training. My wife's job opportunity in Houston fell through, so that's a no-go. She's a reservist, and considering going to ACSC in Montgomery, Alabama, so maybe we could find a school out there?

What's the deadline on post 9/11? I got out of the AF in 2007, so if it's 10 years, I've gotta find something pretty quick. I'm glad some of you guys are getting your training done, though. Good on ya!!!

Your closest option is Wallace State in Cullman, AL. They have fixed and rotary training; however, on the fixed side you will only be able to get your private, instrument and commercial. No CFI or multi training reimbursement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Your closest option is Wallace State in Cullman, AL. They have fixed and rotary training; however, on the fixed side you will only be able to get your private, instrument and commercial. No CFI or multi training reimbursement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
dayt005,

How is your experience at Aviator so far ? I am planning to join this summer.

So far so good. I highly recommend this school because for the money it's as good as it gets (best bang for the $$). You'll probably read a few posts with some negative comments but "no" school is perfect. Most of the complainers are whiney momma's boys/girls who have never had a real problem in their entire lives. The good thing about being military is that we've been trained to adapt to any environment. Anyway, I've been here for a little more than 8 months and earned my multi private, instrument, commercial single/multi, AGI,IGI and now working on CFII (initial). I'm satisfied with the school and most of the staff are really good people. Our VA/finance rep is awesome and really knowledgable. She knows how to maximize the government $$ to benefit VA students.
I suggest a visit first and decide for yourself.

8 months and all that? Fudge I've been here at ASU since fall 2012, used up 18 months of benefits and still wrapping up my 141 instrument. I totaled 230 hours nearly. One word ... ASU/ATP sucks big time. And going to a 4yr degree program with bunch of wishy washy high school graduates is the worst. I don't recommend ASU for any vets.

ASU also doesn't accept any military training as credits.

Looking to find out if anyone has new info here about the Ch 33 benefits and IHL & Flight Schools. For instance, I see a college like Aviator in Ft Pierce with an AS degree and attached flight school. If I max my Ch 33 benefits by taking the degree track any idea what I am looking at paying out of pocket (since its private)? Looking through the threads I came across Naugatuck Community College but after speaking with NCC it appears this program is on the fritz (not enough people signing up therefore they cancel the classes). Also spoke with Palm Beach Helicopters and Palm Beach State College and they have underlined that using Ch 33 100% of flight and tuition is covered from zero hours to ATP. Anyone know of any other schools that are 100% covered (eg Embry etc) in Florida?

Here in AZ, ERAU told me that all tuition is covered via yellow ribbon, however flight costs were not. Hence I chose ASU. How are the schools you talk about are offering ATP when we have to have minimum 1000TT?

Here in AZ, ERAU told me that all tuition is covered via yellow ribbon, however flight costs were not. Hence I chose ASU. How are the schools you talk about are offering ATP when we have to have minimum 1000TT?
That was a mistake, correction on that , Professional Pilot Program not ATP.

I went to PBSC in 2011 for instrument-cmel. Any public school that has required flight classes for the degree will be covered as well. But I don't remember any other public programs in FL. Last I remember private schools were covered up to 25k or something per year for tuition/fees.

So I've been looking at the Aviator College website... apparently they're both part 141 AND part 61.. I think that's pretty interesting, so then I'd assume the following is true:

1. if you do a 141 program you'll be getting up to $18k + BAH per yr
2. if you do a 61 program, you're only getting up to $10k but no BAH per yr

@Aceninja did you use the yellow ribbon program for the 141 program?

@dayt005 that's really impressive! was that through 141 or 61 programs?

@Hhassan have you started?

If you haven't already mentioned it, how're you guys liking the program? I also noticed that their 2yr AS program (141) program has has an internship which seems pretty cool, is this common for aviation colleges?

I have a bachelors already so not too concerned with getting a degree along the way while flight training, but just trying to see how to have the least out of pocket expense but not be moving too slowly either.

If you want to maximize your funds, a degree program is the way to go. Find a school using the yellow ribbon program and it's even better. I was able to use the Mountain State University program before MSU got un-accredited. It took A LOT of work on my part to make sure everything was setup correctly. In the end, before they shut down, I was able to do my PPL Multi Add-on, CMEL, & CSEL with MSU and ATP. I'm currently using the $10K to do my CFI and CFII with American Flyers. Afterwards I will have officially exhausted my Post 9-11 GI Bill funds.

Hello. I have sifted my way through most of this thread and still have questions. Are there any GI Bill experts who want to try and patiently answer some Q's that I can't get ERAU or the VA to clarify, please? I apologize in advance for the over load of info & questions. So go easy on the noob.

Info:

I am a retired USAF officer with 31 mo.'s of chapter 30/33 GI Bill benefits remaining.

I am not yet, but will be rated at least 20% disabled by the VA (for anyone with Chapter 31 info/advice).

I have an accredited bachelors degree in business with 50 hours of associates level airway science transfer credits.

I have a fixed wing private pilot certificate with a multi engine instrument rating.

I was a student Naval Flight Officer (USAF Navigator trainee) w/70 hrs of T-34 S.E. turbo prop training

I have not flown in 15 years, except for kites.

I want to be a helicopter pilot.

Q's:

Will the VA allow me to take courses at the associates level in order to pursue Ch 33 helicopter private pilot flight training associated with an IHL (since I have a bachelors degree)?

Since I am pursuing the degree portion of my training only to get housing allowance, my private pilot certificate paid for as well as to maximize the flight time funding......is there a difference in the amount of money the VA pays for flight time based on the IHL being public or private? I have been told that a public IHL with a professional pilot flight training degree program would have ALL flight time 100% covered through CFI. Is this true?

Are there any established, well respected, and GI Bill knowledgeable IHL/Helicopter training schools out there?

Many thanks in advance.

As a new one that I learned not so long ago for the rare people in my line of work...

As a Flight Engineer retiring from the military, you can tap into the VA VocRehab program to retrain in a civilian job fitting your military training. As a former Flight Engineer, mostly phased out within the civilian world, you can receive funds to retrain and receive all of your pilot certificates, up to and including CFI (maybe even CFII), without tapping into the GI Bill at all.

Have a couple retired FE's paving the way for me at University of Oklahoma utilizing this. Hope to be joining them in a little over a year.

Any updates? I would REALLY like to hear how this is going for you.

Hello. I have sifted my way through most of this thread and still have questions. Are there any GI Bill experts who want to try and patiently answer some Q's that I can't get ERAU or the VA to clarify, please? I apologize in advance for the over load of info & questions. So go easy on the noob.

Info:

I am a retired USAF officer with 31 mo.'s of chapter 30/33 GI Bill benefits remaining.

I am not yet, but will be rated at least 20% disabled by the VA (for anyone with Chapter 31 info/advice).

I have an accredited bachelors degree in business with 50 hours of associates level airway science transfer credits.

I have a fixed wing private pilot certificate with a multi engine instrument rating.

I was a student Naval Flight Officer (USAF Navigator trainee) w/70 hrs of T-34 S.E. turbo prop training

I have not flown in 15 years, except for kites.

I want to be a helicopter pilot.

Q's:

Will the VA allow me to take courses at the associates level in order to pursue Ch 33 helicopter private pilot flight training associated with an IHL (since I have a bachelors degree)?

Since I am pursuing the degree portion of my training only to get housing allowance, my private pilot certificate paid for as well as to maximize the flight time funding......is there a difference in the amount of money the VA pays for flight time based on the IHL being public or private? I have been told that a public IHL with a professional pilot flight training degree program would have ALL flight time 100% covered through CFI. Is this true?

Are there any established, well respected, and GI Bill knowledgeable IHL/Helicopter training schools out there?

Many thanks in advance.

You should have no problem taking helicopter courses at an IHL and having the GI Bill pay for it.

While on an NFO instructor tour in Pensacola I registered for the summer semester at Florida State College at Jacksonville and took Instrument and Commercial flight courses. Since FSCJ is a state school all of my flight training fees were covered by the GI Bill and since the summer semester was only 3 and a half months long, it only cost me 3 and a half months of my post-9/11 GI Bill benefit. I did take longer than the summer semester to complete my ratings but the school just gave me an incomplete and changed it once I finished. Even though it took me until January to finish (commuting from Pensacola to Jax on weekends to fly was a pain) they still only deducted 3 1/2 months off my GI Bill. I already have a bachelors and a masters degree and had no problem registering as an associates degree seeking student to satisfy VA requirements. Since I'm on active duty I didn't get the housing allowance but since I was a degree seeking student I would have gotten it if I wasn't active. The only rule that I know of is that they won't pay for a course you've already completed, so unless you've already taken a private pilot helicopter course and passed you shouldn't have any problems.

For public schools they pay 100% of tuition and fees but for private schools you only get around $20k (it keeps going up a little each year so not sure what this year's amount is) per academic year, which is Aug1 - July 31. If you start training at a private school in the summer you can get ~$20k for the summer semester and then another ~$20k for the fall semester since it reloads on Aug 1 and you'll still only be charged for the number of days in the semesters your were enrolled. Public schools are still a much better deal but as you can see you can game the system to make private schools affordable. Since public schools pay for 100% of fees regardless, you can also train in more expensive equipment like a jetranger or other turbine helo with no extra cost to you. I'm not sure where you're located but there are a few public schools with helicopter programs that I know of: Aims CC in Colorado, Big Bend CC in WA, Central Oregon CC, The CC of Baltimore in MD, Green River CC in WA, Lake Superior College in MN, Naugatuck Valley CC in CT, Portland CC in OR, Salt Lake CC in UT, Kansas State University, Middle Georgia College and University of North Dakota.

Hope this helps

So I've been looking at the Aviator College website... apparently they're both part 141 AND part 61.. I think that's pretty interesting, so then I'd assume the following is true:

1. if you do a 141 program you'll be getting up to $18k + BAH per yr
2. if you do a 61 program, you're only getting up to $10k but no BAH per yr

@Aceninja did you use the yellow ribbon program for the 141 program?

@dayt005 that's really impressive! was that through 141 or 61 programs?

@Hhassan have you started?

If you haven't already mentioned it, how're you guys liking the program? I also noticed that their 2yr AS program (141) program has has an internship which seems pretty cool, is this common for aviation colleges?

I have a bachelors already so not too concerned with getting a degree along the way while flight training, but just trying to see how to have the least out of pocket expense but not be moving too slowly either.
Ozziecat35 is right on with his response so follow his advice to the letter. I have also used the yellow ribbon $5000 from gov't + $5000 from school = more money for me (yay me!!). All of my training here has veen 141 except the CSEL/CMEL because it was not up and running at the time but it is now. The VA still covered 100% of my commercial ratings.

Back