Sierra West Airlines

Everyone there hates their life, and complains about not getting paid the correct amount on time, which is pretty damn hard because all it takes is a bag of peanuts.

do some searching, or just be patient theres at least two guys on here that I know personally that worked there. Get in, get your time, get out type of place for sure

Depending on where you are based getting your time takes a lot of time. KTOL is as slow as it gets. Roughly only 25 hours a month and the possibility for sitting for an entire month. Go somewhere else

Depending on where you are based getting your time takes a lot of time. KTOL is as slow as it gets. Roughly only 25 hours a month and the possibility for sitting for an entire month. Go somewhere else
Chad im sure you have plenty of time now to find something new. QOL has gone way up for me after I left.

Yeah just looking for something in southern Florida.
1250TT
300 multi/turbine
90 IFR
800 PIC
A & P Mechanic w/ 121 composite experience (EMB 170/175)
350 Instruction given
Tailwheel

@Chad2509

Does Sierra West actually use an SIC in their cargo op? Does their Ops Spec require an SIC? Are the PICs single pilot typed or require an SIC per their type rating?

I only ask this since you may not have the flight time (What the FAA cares about for an ATP) you think you have.

True.
@Chad2509

Does Sierra West actually use an SIC in their cargo op? Does their Ops Spec require an SIC? Are the PICs single pilot typed or require an SIC per their type rating?

I only ask this since you may not have the flight time (What the FAA cares about for an ATP) you think you have.
Yeah the opspec does require an SIC. I checked on that before I joined.

I think they use a second pilot so they are not limited to only flying 8 hours during any 24 consecutive hours.
I feel like that would require two PICs (which is how we do it).

Of course, after meeting SW crews on the road and hearing some of the stories from them, I wouldn't put much past them (or their FSDO apparently).

Companies do that? Like they put 2 pilots in a cockpit, and for the first 8 hours the second pilot sits there, and then takes over? Dafuq...

Companies do that? Like they put 2 pilots in a cockpit, and for the first 8 hours the second pilot sits there, and then takes over? Dafuq...
Kinda. We run two PICs to allow 16 hours flying in a 16 hour duty day. Pretty regularly get 10-12 hour trips.
More or less just trade legs, balance the flying, and the non-flying guy sleeps, reads, games, eats, whatever. Sleeping bags and electronics goes a long way.

This is a horrible company to work for. I know a couple guys who got fired because they wouldn't fly unairworthy aircraft. I'm talking EGT gauge not working, etc. They also violate any reg so long as it makes them money. And forget about getting a hotel room after a 12-16hr day. You fly that sh**t back!
Stay away!

Back