Memphis controllers getting bored

ZeroPapaGolf

This was emailed out from a local flight school this afternoon:

All,

Memphis International Airport controllers have extended an invitation to general aviation aircraft to come and do landings at their airport. With Delta basically gone, they are not busy most days and the extra traffic count would be helpful to them. The only time to avoid is the FedEx afternoon push between 14:30 and 16:30 Monday through Friday. Working in that environment with the controllers and very long/wide runways is a great experience. This invitation is open to any certificated pilot or student pilot with the proper endorsements.
Best wishes to all throughout the upcoming holidays.

Fly safe,

Downtown Aviation

But hey, MEM has that brand new pretty parking facility. Too bad there aren't any cars to park in it.

MEM has been GA friendly for years. I've taken a lot of students in there to Wilson and around to some of the good BBQ places nearby. Never got hit with any fees and Wilson has pretty reasonable fuel prices and is a great FBO in every way.

MEM has been GA friendly for years. I've taken a lot of students in there to Wilson and around to some of the good BBQ places nearby. Never got hit with any fees and Wilson has pretty reasonable fuel prices and is a great FBO in every way.

Totally off subject, but like @Derg sandwich cravings, I get hungry. So anyone else got a bit peckish flying this approach and headed for the smokehouse after landing?
00780IL1R.jpg

I feel for MEM, but just as they were a victim of over-lapping hubs from a merger like PIT before, I'm afraid PHX will be next. Just too close to DFW/LAX for the new AA. I think PHX will retain a decent ammount of service to the Southwest and West Coast, but it will most likely lose the majority of its current US Airways routes in the next few years.

SJC sent out a similar message a while back, but they've been so GA hostile in the past I still refuse to go there.
I never stop there and have to pay fees, but landing doing touch and goes there has been really fun since 29 closed. Its the only Bay Area airport that will sequence you in with airliners now that you have to use 30L/R, good practice doing pattern work avoiding the wake.

I would seriously consider giving my left nut if they would offer to pickup the center and move it to Nashville. I can't even remember what it's like to not have to worry about getting shot just by trying to go to Subway 1/4 mile away from where you work. On a more serious note, the few times I've been to the tower, they always seem like a nice group of guys but jeez...yeah, it's so dead up there.

I would seriously consider giving my left nut if they would offer to pickup the center and move it to Nashville. I can't even remember what it's like to not have to worry about getting shot just by trying to go to Subway 1/4 mile away from where you work. On a more serious note, the few times I've been to the tower, they always seem like a nice group of guys but jeez...yeah, it's so dead up there.
You're a center controller in MEM?

Back