Memphis controllers getting bored

Been in Memphis for 6 months. Have yet to be shot at. Not sure if I'm doing it right? Never had any issues downtown or at the Saucer though!

@spades I did a tour in July when I was helping out with an aviation camp here, from what it seemed your facility was incredibly nice!

Been in Memphis for 6 months. Have yet to be shot at. Not sure if I'm doing it right? Never had any issues downtown or at the Saucer though!

@spades I did a tour in July when I was helping out with an aviation camp here, from what it seemed your facility was incredibly nice!
I've been here 5 years with no knife and/or bullet holes. Stay out of crappy places and you'll be fine.

I like the facility. I hate the city.

I like Memphis. The hotel shuttle driver told me his 23 year old girlfriend would say that I was a "Greek God" because I'm tall, white, in shape, and dress well.

I like the facility. I hate the city.
You start at the ARTCC here or get transferred? Hopefully you'll be able to swap facilities sooner rather than later!

I will say the dirty city vibe gets old and has gotten old,but I'm gone in 6 months so I'll just deal with it.

This was emailed out from a local flight school this afternoon:

But hey, MEM has that brand new pretty parking facility. Too bad there aren't any cars to park in it.

Perhaps they are trying to save their jobs?? If word gets out that they have fewer aircraft I would imagine it could mean layoffs for a couple controllers.

Not necessarily loose jobs but another downgrade in the future?

Zme is not any better. If your flying around bna and are bored ill happly burn holes in the sky with ya. :p

Most of our traffic is gone now. We use to have quiet a few hubs we fed...now its mostly atl...iah...dfw and all the bs tmu miles in trail we get stuck with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Aren't facility pay grades based on the traffic level ranking for the airport? I'd help them out if I was flying in the area!! Especially if I was instructing, you can bet I'd be doing pattern there all day.

You start at the ARTCC here or get transferred? Hopefully you'll be able to swap facilities sooner rather than later!

I will say the dirty city vibe gets old and has gotten old,but I'm gone in 6 months so I'll just deal with it.

Started.

As for whoever made the downgrade comment, I was more worried about it a year ago but the last traffic count I saw, we were still around #8 in terms of traffic when it came to centers so I don't think we have been more affected than anyone else. It seems like there would be a lot of downgrades if we go down. In all honestly, I'm fortunate where a downgrade wouldn't affect me. I'm a junior guy so my pay would remain unchanged in a downgrade. I wouldn't notice the cap difference for several years in which hopefully I would be gone by that time.

Just ask about 10pm-6am... Last I checked, it was the busiest airport in the world. I remember the 11pm hangouts under the 27 final where airport cops showed up... A sida badge and saying "showing my significant other the money" bought ya 15 mins. If you drop the gear on 27 about 9 miles out, you are over my house. Unless you are an MD who does the immediate decent with auto throttles saying "hello" it's quiet, yet still a cool sight late at night.

Ironically, my father in law is mgmt in the tower now... It has ALWAYS been GA friendly since about 2003. I did my "solo" towered landings at MEM for my private (off-peak of NWA at the time), and never had an issue either coming to see my (now) wife. Not sure if the text prior cleared the air or not, but it has always been very friendly.

MEM has a bad reputation (city wise). Drive 15 mins east or south (or in many cases west I not downtown) and it's fine. I can affirm this as my neighbor texts me asking if I am coming home because the wife left the garage open all night..... I have spent the last 23 of 28 years of my life calling "Memphis" home. It has its "bad" parts, just like any city, but it's also quite spread out. There are plenty of places where your kid can go to a good public school, not worry about being shot/stabbed, and have a nice QOL.

I will admit that the downtown scene is only "entertaining" about once every 6 months, but that's not my thing to start so there is a bias there.

Back