Expats At Russian Airlines ?

bafanguy

Seems this change of policy involving expats in domestic Russian airlines has been percolating for a while but is apparently going to happen ? Only FOs need apply ?:

"It envisages establishing an annual quota allowing recruitment of up to 200 foreigners as first officers in each of the five years following adoption of an appropriate decree."

Remains to be seen what the requirements are but it'll be more openings.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...e-change-on-foreign-pilot-recruitment-393605/

Even if it passed it probably wouldn't help American pilots receive employment. With all of the JAA EU pilots who speak more than one language, I don't think monolingual American pilots stand a chance at being hired.

I saw this too and spoke to a Russian friend flying for Aeoflot. He told me that this job advertisement is misleading because they're not ready for non-Russian speaking foreign pilots. He said that it is really meant for pilots from former Soviet bloc counties like Ukraine, Georgia ect. I guess it couldn't hurt to apply if that's what you're interested in.

I understand and somewhat speak Russian but only have ~300 TT. I wonder if its worth applying even though, at this point, my ratings are fresh.

Last edited:
I understand and somewhat speak Russian...my ratings are fresh.

Can't win if you don't enter but it appears the expat market isn't ready for other countries' low time pilots. They appear to have enough of their own from what people tell me.

Send in your stuff and see what happens. They can't kill ya and eat ya if you do. :D

I'm a Russian speaker, I speak it every day at home. 5000TT mostly TPIC. What are my chances?
I honestly have not heard of anybody being hired, especially from the US for the Russian airlines. I will ask around and see if anybody knows anything, but the guys I fly with (2 Russian pilots, "retired" from Aeroflot, and flew 747's at Korean Air before torturing us Amerikanskis) were fully expecting guys and gals from the 'Stans to fill in under lower pay.

I honestly have not heard of anybody being hired, especially from the US for the Russian airlines. I will ask around and see if anybody knows anything, but the guys I fly with (2 Russian pilots, "retired" from Aeroflot, and flew 747's at Korean Air before torturing us Amerikanskis) were fully expecting guys and gals from the 'Stans to fill in under lower pay.

Bananastan?

I know two guys from central Europe who were trying the expat deal as Captains on the A320 at Aeroflot. One left a few days before the first flight, as he was being told that his salary has just been changed (to a much lower value). The other one made it around 5 months before he left, just a few days ago. He was doing just slightly better, although he is fluent in Russian. Still, he reported lots of issues with the contract, pay and bullying in the cockpit by local pilots. The Airline was not honing a single line in the contract, but bought him a first class ticket home, when he turned in his notice.
As someone said before: it seems like they are only looking for pilots from former CIS countries...

Yes, I am well aware of Ukraine, I love the country greatly, it is my second home. I hope the situation will continue to improve. And when it does, I would pick Ukraine any day over Russia. (no offence to anyone)
Before the war, I had one possible prospect in Donetsk... but that never happened.

Yes, I am well aware of Ukraine, I love the country greatly, it is my second home. I hope the situation will continue to improve. And when it does, I would pick Ukraine any day over Russia. (no offence to anyone)
Before the war, I had one possible prospect in Donetsk... but that never happened.
I'll airways have a soft spot for Ukraine myself, since that's where I started flying overseas. Right now, you couldn't pay me enough money to go there. I say that as an American that has spent quite a bit of time in Tehran, and have been to some not so friendly places like Lebanon, Syria, and others a few years ago.

I truly hope things settle down there, as the only people hurting are the average Ukrainians and Russians. The Russians are just so "nationalized" right now, they don't even see what's happening to them and their neighbors. It's sad to see it in person.

Back