What does it take to become a 777 or 747 or 380 captain?

Caelum Deus

Sky God
I'm curious to know if the following timeline would work.
Age 35 regionals five years as first officer.
Age 40 regional captain five years.
Age 45 majors first officer for 10 years.
Age 55 captain for five years.
Age 60 international captain of a 777 or 747 or 380 for the last five years.
I'm not sure if the upgrade times or time as captain is accurate. I'm just assuming somewhat of a worst-case scenario. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

Worst case is you finally have your fourth furlough and call it quits at 58 instead of being a bitter cog in the machine. Oh, and never attaining the coveted 777/747/380 Commander status.

Five year career adjustments are not all that likely.

I'm curious to know if the following timeline would work.
Age 35 regionals five years as first officer.
Age 40 regional captain five years.
Age 45 majors first officer for 10 years.
Age 55 captain for five years.
Age 60 international captain of a 777 or 747 or 380 for the last five years.
I'm not sure if the upgrade times or time as captain is accurate. I'm just assuming somewhat of a worst-case scenario. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

My only advice, don't treat a career in aviation like a frightened 28 year old single girl worried about turning 30 that already reserved her "dream" wedding venue and just needs to find a suitable husband.

Go fly.

I'm curious to know if the following timeline would work. (Filler.) I'm just assuming somewhat of a worst-case scenario. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

Your worse case scenario isn't worse case enough yet. You haven't factored in :
1. Furloughs
2. Stagnation (Age ??)
3. Economic downturns
4. Mergers
5.Overboard reactions to Terror events
6. Force Majuere
7.Strikes

Thanks for the response.
My only concern is that I don't want to leave my good paying currently flight job for a less paying job only to not reach my ultimate goal.

Your worse case scenario isn't worse case enough yet. You haven't factored in :
1. Furloughs
2. Stagnation (Age ??)
3. Economic downturns
4. Mergers
5.Overboard reactions to Terror events
6. Force Majuere

Correction, assuming worst normal case scenario. ?

My only advice, don't treat a career in aviation like a frightened 28 year old single girl worried about turning 30 that already reserved her "dream" wedding venue and just needs to find a suitable husband.

Go fly.

Troof.

A lesson I learned in college, but periodically need to slow down and remind myself. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks but I find it necessary to plan out my goals in life so I know what direction to head :)

That's all fine and dandy, but how do you manage when it becomes apparent when you won't meet your life's goals after investing some to a lot of time towards them? Some people just shrug and fine new goals and some people have mental breakdowns. If you fall under the latter category, this job probably isn't for you.

I'll take it since no one has said its impossible, I'm going to take the answer to my original question as a yes it's possible. ?

That's all fine and dandy, but how do you manage when it becomes apparent when you won't meet your life's goals after investing some to a lot of time towards them? Some people just shrug and fine new goals and some people have mental breakdowns. If you fall under the latter category, this job probably isn't for you.
The journey has been more than enjoyable and it's only getting better. I'm just at a fork in the road and looking for some help

Thanks but I find it necessary to plan out my goals in life so I know what direction to head :)

I'm like that with absolutely everything. I drive to the grocery store, but on the odd chance that one closes for a zombie apocalypse, I already know what plan B is.

I'm lucky enough not to commute to work, but if I have car trouble I have already thought out my wife's schedule for the day I go to work and the day I come home to come up with the least objectionable plan b.

But I have learned in my 7 years of flying professionally, there are no plans in this industry, only educated guesses.

So all heavy captains have been with a major for at least 30 years?

Are you talking about a captain on ANY widebody or just the three you mentioned and are you talking about at ANY company or just the big 3 (wow... that sounds strange to say) of Delta, United and a American? We have guys here who are in their early 40s and are captains on the 330 and 767, although they probably got their start at less than 30. A friend of mine went from zero time to the left seat of a 747 in 6 years at an ACMI, so it's possible.

Are you talking about a captain on ANY widebody or just the three you mentioned and are you talking about at ANY company or just the big 3 (wow... that sounds strange to say) of Delta, United and a American? We have guys here who are in their early 40s and are captains on the 330 and 767, although they probably got their start at less than 30. A friend of mine went from zero time to the left seat of a 747 in 6 years at an ACMI, so it's possible.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yeah I'm not picky. I just have always wanted to fly something internationally as a captain. I think having that under my belt I could retire happily.
I'm not too sure what an ACMI is but I will look into it.
Thanks again

So all heavy captains have been with a major for at least 30 years?

The career path and opportunities of a captain flying a 77/74/380 today for a major international airline will in no way mirror the career path and opportunities facing a person just starting out today. For one, there is no guarantee that those three planes will still even be airline flying in 30 years.

Back