What does it take to become a 777 or 747 or 380 captain?

You forgot to mention that when you were hired, your airline swore to NEVER fly any Airbus product again as they know it is inferior technology.......

#douglasisafanboibecauseofastupidtraytable
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROCKING THE TRAY TABLE! Bam!

Spacious, roomy cockpit and plenty of room for my junk since there's no yoke/ column blocking my way. Works well, lasts a long time! ;)

So based in the time line the op came up with I'll be a wide body captain at 42. Gnarly. Maybe I can afford the new m4 next spring then!!

You forgot to mention that when you were hired, your airline swore to NEVER fly any Airbus product again as they know it is inferior technology.......

#douglasisafanboibecauseofastupidtraytable

Half truth.

They swore to never operate a product where the pilot didn't have complete control, at the time, Airbus.

However, the "pilot doesn't have complete control" is largely urban legend. The FBW system and philosophies of the Airbus aren't a lot different than any other FBW system.

I'll let @seagull school you on that. :)

Gosh dammit, Bill. Right when I think I deserve to make my post, drop my mic and walk offstage like a triumphant rapper, you come and vanquish it!

I said what most of us already know, but simply said it first. Doug, you're still Dr. Dre and have the mic sir. I'll provide the rap beat, Seggy can Beat Bop and Polar can spin the discs or be Snoop Lion or whatever....
Screaming Emu and Autothrust can manage the groupies...

Half truth.

They swore to never operate a product where the pilot didn't have complete control, at the time, Airbus.

However, the "pilot doesn't have complete control" is largely urban legend. The FBW system and philosophies of the Airbus aren't a lot different than any other FBW system.

I'll let @seagull school you on that. :)

Pretty sure you don't have to confirm and activate the approach or go past the decel point on the 777/787 in order to land. On the Scarebus, you don't do that, you aren't landing!

You have to type louder. He's a flying a 1970 pinto with a digital dashboard retrofit, a racing stripe and an aftermarket turbo. He can't hear you! :)

Noise canceling headsets.

I will take my level change over your open descent!

You would never make it in our training department. You would be labeled a blasphemous evil doer. :rolleyes:

Ours goes in waves too.

One wave, it's "GET THE AUTOMATION ON!"

The next wave, it's "STICK AND RUDDER SKILLS! Turn everything off and we're going to snap you to a right downwind, heavy crosswind and you're going to shoot a visual!"

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yeah I'm not picky. I just have always wanted to fly something internationally as a captain. I think having that under my belt I could retire happily.
I'm not too sure what an ACMI is but I will look into it.
Thanks again

It's good to have goals, but I've always found the desire to fly big equipment across the pond to be a bit silly. I'd rather stay senior on something less "desirable," and ride across the pond in the back on my days off. :)

Seriously though, I get all stir crazy after about 4 hours. Long haul is not for me!!

Ours goes in waves too.

One wave, it's "GET THE AUTOMATION ON!"

The next wave, it's "STICK AND RUDDER SKILLS! Turn everything off and we're going to snap you to a right downwind, heavy crosswind and you're going to shoot a visual!"
We have no waves, it's turn the automation on and cross your fingers. If it goes to hell, jerk the speed brake up.

It's good to have goals, but I've always found the desire to fly big equipment across the pond to be a bit silly. I'd rather stay senior on something less "desirable," and ride across the pond in the back on my days off. :)

Seriously though, I get all stir crazy after about 4 hours. Long haul is not for me!!
I could see that getting old quick. I just have had a philosophy to aim for the top and from what I know, international long haul seems like that is it

Back