Best Airplane to Purchase

SeanD

Hey all, I have a question. The boss (no pilot experience) has expressed interest in purchasing an airplane. Mainly a King Air or something comparable for trips to SNA or the surrounding area from VGT or HND. What would the process be like? If its not used for 135 purposes, could he hire anyone qualified to fly it without getting a 135 cert? It would primarily be for employee transport to and from for meetings etc. Sorry but Im clueless on aircraft sales and dont know much about 135 reqs. Im just looking for a little guidance.

image.jpg

FTW

Hey all, I have a question. The boss (no pilot experience) has expressed interest in purchasing an airplane. Mainly a King Air or something comparable for trips to SNA or the surrounding area from VGT or HND. What would the process be like? If its not used for 135 purposes, could he hire anyone qualified to fly it without getting a 135 cert? It would primarily be for employee transport to and from for meetings etc. Sorry but Im clueless on aircraft sales and dont know much about 135 reqs. Im just looking for a little guidance.
The only reason he would pursue 135 certification is if he wants to retain the option to operate the aircraft "for hire" outside of use that is "incidental to the business of the company". Some larger corporations establish separate companies and operate under 135 to limit liability exposure.

I recommend that he consult an accountant and attorney, both with aviation experience, for an overview on the financial and legal aspects of ownership.

We need more information, but the best advice you can get is to buy way less airplane than you want. Especially with used airplane prices being what they are now it's really easy to get into something for cheap that will eat you alive in operating costs. Especially especially in the piston twin market.

If I had a nickel for every time I was asked "What airplane should I by?"... Erik has the correct answer to that question: How many passengers, how far are you going, what is the budget (purchase & operating), day trips or several days away on overnights with luggage....

Biggest questions I'd have are:

What's his budget?
How much does he want to take with him?
How fast does he want to go?

Let me know if I can help at all.

If you (or whoever) is qualified to fly the plane under 91, you can fly it under 91. As for the plane selection, yeah, need more info. I'd certainly look hard at anything but a king air.

PC-12, TBM...

MU-2?????!!!!!! :D

If you (or whoever) is qualified to fly the plane under 91, you can fly it under 91. As for the plane selection, yeah, need more info. I'd certainly look hard at anything but a king air.

PC-12, TBM...

MU-2?????!!!!!! :D
Did you see the MU-2 article in AOPA?

Maybe the acquisition cost, but that is where the similarities end. I was thinking more of a BE58, 310R, 601P or possibly a Twin Bo.
...if you do wind up buying a Twin Bonanza, I know who you can talk to about all manner of Twin Bonanza stuff.

Did you see the MU-2 article in AOPA?

Euh, no. Is it available for free on the interwebz? Cause I stopped sending those bastards money around about 2005, which was, coincidentally, the same year the 10,000th "WE NEED YOUR MONEY TO PROTECT GA" piece of junkmail appeared in on my doorstep.

Back