Hawaiian Airlines

nyk

Does anyone know much about Hawaiian?
They operate like US carriers?
I know they are based in Hawaii and are a 121 but any additional information would be greatly appreciated

They are a US carrier so yes, they operate like one. My understanding is that the lines with inter-island flights go to the most senior people (that struck me as odd but I guess they are the easiest ones to work) and some people in the office are not friendly if you're not originally from Hawaii. (This is based on what I have heard from someone I work with at my current airline who was there for a while.) I did have one offer to interview there but I decided not to go ultimately - they offer no relocation assistance and it's not like you can hook up a U-Haul and drive there - also, the interview selection process seemed rather haphazard (left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.) Unsure of their pay scale but I think they top out somewhere in the 80-90K range, which would be decent anywhere other than Hawaii and some big cities in the US. I think there is someone on this board who worked there for a while, so maybe they will offer their perspective on things.

What do you mean do they operate like US Carriers?
Hawaiian is a 121 scheduled carrier that flies both domestic and international routes. All flights are based out of HNL.
When you interview for them, you have to get out there on your own dime, and starting pay is not that great----but it's Hawaii. If you are a mainlander, it can be tough as they do have an attitude towards non-locals. They typically hire people with a few years of experience and international and ETOPS experience is a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I've heard on the block is they are mean to non natives and the relocation isn't easy which is why I hesitate on applying to this position. I have two years of express experience. I just wonder if its worth the experience as my ultimate goal would be to work for FedEx in the long haul.

What do you mean do they operate like US Carriers?
Hawaiian is a 121 scheduled carrier that flies both domestic and international routes. All flights are based out of HNL.
When you interview for them, you have to get out there on your own dime, and starting pay is not that great----but it's Hawaii. If you are a mainlander, it can be tough as they do have an attitude towards non-locals. They typically hire people with a few years of experience and international and ETOPS experience is a plus.

Thats kinda weird, because the SOCC manager is from the mainland, the 2 dispatch managers are from the mainland and even the trainer is from the mainland.
Also 50% of the line dispatchers are from the mainland. People in hawaii cant really afford a dispatchers license since there is currently no dispatch schools in hawaii. Someone who wants a license would need to move to the mainland to attend a class.

I agree, all of the SOC management is from the mainland and the SOC itself is one of the best run that I've seen. I think the bad rep of the SOCC probably came from 1 person with a personal bad experience.

I was gonna tell you to PM Keola, as he works there, but he already chimed in. What I understand to be the biggest issue with them is that the pay is low compared to cost of living. Also, I've heard that they don't fly you there to interview...it's on your dime. For me, being in FL, that would cost a lot. Those issues alone make it not interesting enough for me, and add to it that there is no relocation assistance... No thanks. It would cost a fortune to interview and then move if hired. If money isn't an issue...well, by all means... I think it would be a cool opportunity!

I agree, all of the SOC management is from the mainland and the SOC itself is one of the best run that I've seen. I think the bad rep of the SOCC probably came from 1 person with a personal bad experience.

You may well be right about the one person just having a bad experience with others in the office being rude to him, but my experience with trying to get an interview with Hawaiian was quite haphazard. First, I got a no-notice phone call for some kind of group interview with a few SOC managers on it. I was at work so it was a bit hard to put my full attention into the interview - and I have no problem with pre-screening interviews but it's not that hard to schedule them via email. Other companies that I have done this with never had a problem emailing me to schedule a time for the interview. Anyhow, so I have that phone interview, then I hear nothing for a few weeks, then I get a "thanks but no thanks" email from HR...so I didn't think much more about it. I then get a call a few weeks later from an SOC manager who asks me a few questions - I told him yes, I still might be interested and he said he'd call me back. A day or two later, he calls me and asks me to come out for an interview. I initially accepted, but then did some research and number-crunching and I decided I really couldn't afford to make the move. So, I called him back, left him a voicemail, and also emailed him to say thanks but no thanks. I didn't hear anything further from him, but a week or two after this, I get a call from the SOC management for another group-style phone "pre screening" interview. I was at home this time but I told them that I'd already been offered an in-person interview and declined it - they seemed rather confused by this. At any rate, the whole experience didn't give me a warm fuzzy as to how well their SOC was managed.

Hawaiian may in fact be a wonderful place to work and had I been at a different point in my career I definitely would have been excited about the opportunity - and I wish the best of luck to any JCer's who do apply and get an interview there. I'm just saying, go in with your eyes open and remember that (1) Moving to Hawaii is a lot more expensive than moving pretty much anywhere else in the US (Alaska is probably bad also, but at least you can drive there if you want) and (2) What sounds like a decent starting pay may in fact be a barely livable wage in HNL due to the high cost of moving/living there.

I can't speak specifically for SOCC, but I haven't taken any grief for being a haole here. Even the line service guys (who are almost all local) are friendly. I'm sure some people have had bad experiences, possible deserved or maybe not, but I've not seen any issues personally.

It is expensive living here and I really don't know what the DX pay scale is like, but I know we have a few dispatchers that live on cheaper neighbor islands and commute in to work every day (mostly they work the overnight shifts as those are far more commutable).

I worked for the puddle jumpers there and being a mainlander was great. Everyone was so helpful to my wife and I when we moved there. If we didn't have the baby and a great offer for me to go back to corporate we would still be out there. My ultimate goal would be Hawaiian because of the interactions I've had with the crews and workers there. Amazing airline.

Moving there really isn't a big deal. We sold most everything we owned and packed 4 suitcases. You realize how little you need when you do a big move like that.

Moving there really isn't a big deal. We sold most everything we owned and packed 4 suitcases. You realize how little you need when you do a big move like that.

Of course, then you have to get new stuff once you get there - and then if for some reason you decide you don't like island living after a while, and you move back to the mainland, you have to take that stuff with you, or sell it and start over again, etc. I'm not overly materialistic but I do have some furniture I'm fond of. Guess I'm not a true minimalist. That being said, if I did move to Hawaii I'd probably sell most of my stuff, too - certainly my car at least - but that just makes for a bigger commitment since if you move there you can't easily pack up and drive home should you decide you don't like it. And once again, I'm not saying people shouldn't move there if they get an offer and they like the company - just be aware it's a bigger commitment than your usual CONUS job is.

Of course, then you have to get new stuff once you get there - and then if for some reason you decide you don't like island living after a while, and you move back to the mainland, you have to take that stuff with you, or sell it and start over again, etc. I'm not overly materialistic but I do have some furniture I'm fond of. Guess I'm not a true minimalist. That being said, if I did move to Hawaii I'd probably sell most of my stuff, too - certainly my car at least - but that just makes for a bigger commitment since if you move there you can't easily pack up and drive home should you decide you don't like it. And once again, I'm not saying people shouldn't move there if they get an offer and they like the company - just be aware it's a bigger commitment than your usual CONUS job is.

Now that I think about it, I'll say this: having moved more than a few times I'd definitely say to each it's own. Yes the cost of living is high in HI but to say that the payscale isn't livable? I'd say all depends on you the individual. For someone who's moving out there with a family definitely not livable. But single person depending on your type of lifestyle and priorities it could definitely work. I mean let's face it, it if weren't a livable payscale nobody would be there. What's acceptable for me may not be acceptable for you and vice versa.

It only cost $1300 to ship a car out there. Better than getting one that most likely won't pass inspection or will rust out. You can also find some pretty good deals when splitting containers if you really need that furniture.

It only cost $1300 to ship a car out there. Better than getting one that most likely won't pass inspection or will rust out. You can also find some pretty good deals when splitting containers if you really need that furniture.

I am sure the cost of all this shipping is more than the cost of renting a U-haul trailer and driving to a different CONUS location. As an example I rented a truck and got all of my worldly possessions from NH to NM for under $1000 many years ago - of course, gas was much cheaper then. Hey, Hawaii is a beautiful state, but you'll never convince me that it's as easy/cheap to move there as it is to move somewhere that you can drive to. That's all I'm saying.

Thats kinda weird, because the SOCC manager is from the mainland, the 2 dispatch managers are from the mainland and even the trainer is from the mainland.
Also 50% of the line dispatchers are from the mainland. People in hawaii cant really afford a dispatchers license since there is currently no dispatch schools in hawaii. Someone who wants a license would need to move to the mainland to attend a class.

Hi Keola, Just wonder where they are in the hiring process. I've got ETOPS experience and currently work for an island based 121 Carrier. Would you give me some heads up and feel free to PM me if possible. Very best

Keep in mind the current posting is for an assistant dispatcher position.
Cost of living is higher than most cities, but it all depends on your idea of "expensive". If you ask someone from NYC what they think of our cost of living and they'll probably think its "cheap". In hawaii you can rent a room for $400/month in a crack house if you want, but is that really how you want to live?
The avg rent for a studio/1bed is $1000-$1200, without utilities. Thats an avg price, so its possible to find cheaper places but dont be suprised if its higher than $1200.
Most of the mainland people i know isnt really interested in "living" out here, they just wanna use it as a stepping stone to bigger airlines, so does it really matter if cost of living is high?

It is possible to live on a different island and commute to work, but the night shift is where all the senior people are, so getting on a overnight commuting shift can be hard. Also we have a lot of pilots that commute, so traveling interisland can be hard during the holiday season.

Keep in mind the current posting is for an assistant dispatcher position.
Cost of living is higher than most cities, but it all depends on your idea of "expensive". If you ask someone from NYC what they think of our cost of living and they'll probably think its "cheap". In hawaii you can rent a room for $400/month in a crack house if you want, but is that really how you want to live?
The avg rent for a studio/1bed is $1000-$1200, without utilities. Thats an avg price, so its possible to find cheaper places but dont be suprised if its higher than $1200.
Most of the mainland people i know isnt really interested in "living" out here, they just wanna use it as a stepping stone to bigger airlines, so does it really matter if cost of living is high?

It is possible to live on a different island and commute to work, but the night shift is where all the senior people are, so getting on a overnight commuting shift can be hard. Also we have a lot of pilots that commute, so traveling interisland can be hard during the holiday season.

Well said. Like I said before, what's acceptable for me may not be for you. To each it's own.

I've noticed that Hawaiian has an assistant dispatcher position available. If there is a HA dispatcher reading this (or somebody who can answer), can you share what their work schedule is? The only thing I've heard from the rumor mill is: 8 hr shifts, 4-2 4-4, 4-2, 4-4, etc. where each 4 day group does a different shift (i.e. 6a-2p, then 2p-10p, then 10p-6a, then 6a-2p and the cycle repeats.)

Any logic for this? If this is true, I would find it hard to develop anything close to a normal sleep schedule. Do people trade shifts so they can at least have a period where they just do one shift?

Assistants will work 0600-1400 and 2200-0600. With random days off AND rotating between the two start times.
Bid line dispatchers work 4-2-4-2-4-4. And yes each group of 4 days are worked 0400-1200, 1200-2000 and 2000-0400.
Relief dispatchers will work any of the 3 shifts (0400-1200, 1200-2000 and 2000-0400) with random days off.
Schdules are post one month in advance.
Bid line holders are all senior, you can expect a relief schdule for the first couple years, thats of course after you get upgraded from an assistant.
Assistants can trade with other assistants and dispatchers can trade with other dispatchers. Some of the senior people will trade with each other to somewhat have a "set" schdule. But everyone else will pretty much have a random schdule.
The logic behind that, is so everyone gets a chance to work all the different flights. The dispatchers work everything from Beijing to Jfk and sometimes from France (NATS). And also as far south as Sydney and Auckland.

Back