Hawaiian Airlines

The logic behind that, is so everyone gets a chance to work all the different flights. The dispatchers work everything from Beijing to Jfk and sometimes from France (NATS). And also as far south as Sydney and Auckland.

That's good dispatching experience but it's not a sleep schedule I'd ever want to put my body through. Ugh. I think that legacy UA used to schedule people rotating shifts but they finally quit because everyone was trading days around to stay on their preferred shift. I know that one startup carrier I was at tried a similar sort of schedule at first and then changed to a more traditional one when half the office was on the verge of quitting.

Kinda seems like they're following suit with the FAA. (About seven years ago) most ATC facilities worked: 2 shifts of 1400-2200, 2 shifts of 0600-1400, 2 shifts of 2200-0600 (that's every week, year round). The bidding/seniority only came into play for days-off and vacation.
Though it may have changed since, they were finally beginning to realize the uneccessary fatigue they were creating...
I could do it (have done it), but it wouldn't care for it.

Kinda seems like they're following suit with the FAA. (About seven years ago) most ATC facilities worked: 2 shifts of 1400-2200, 2 shifts of 0600-1400, 2 shifts of 2200-0600 (that's every week, year round). The bidding/seniority only came into play for days-off and vacation.
Though it may have changed since, they were finally beginning to realize the uneccessary fatigue they were creating...
I could do it (have done it), but it wouldn't care for it.

Assistants will work 0600-1400 and 2200-0600. With random days off AND rotating between the two start times.
Bid line dispatchers work 4-2-4-2-4-4. And yes each group of 4 days are worked 0400-1200, 1200-2000 and 2000-0400.
Relief dispatchers will work any of the 3 shifts (0400-1200, 1200-2000 and 2000-0400) with random days off.
Schdules are post one month in advance.
Bid line holders are all senior, you can expect a relief schdule for the first couple years, thats of course after you get upgraded from an assistant.
Assistants can trade with other assistants and dispatchers can trade with other dispatchers. Some of the senior people will trade with each other to somewhat have a "set" schdule. But everyone else will pretty much have a random schdule.
The logic behind that, is so everyone gets a chance to work all the different flights. The dispatchers work everything from Beijing to Jfk and sometimes from France (NATS). And also as far south as Sydney and Auckland.
Keola
Really appreciate the information on the work schedules. Can you tell me if most of the assistant dispatchers being hired already have their dispatcher rating. The qualifications state that you need to obtain the rating within 18 months. I am a retired airline pilot so can take the accelerated schools. I also reside in Hawaii now so we can handle the cost of living. Once again thanks for the insight into the position

They have another opening for Assistant Dispatcher posted:
https://rn11.ultipro.com/HAW1000/JobBoard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*D1119B7114BD1C3A

Requirements
  • MUST OBTAIN FAA AIRCRAFT DISPATCH LICENSE WITHIN 18 MONTHS OF EMPLOYMENT AT EMPLOYEE'S EXPENSE.
  • Must have some typing skills.
  • Must have good command of English language, both oral and written.
  • Must be able to work with all levels of employees under pressure.
  • Related experience preferred.
  • SABRE computer experience desirable.
  • Must have high school diploma or its equivalent.
  • *DOT regulations, 14 CFR part 121 identifies this position as performing safety-sensitive functions. You will be required to undergo DOT pre-employment drug testing to determine the presence of Marijuana, Cocaine, Opiates, PCP (Phencyclidine) and Amphetamine prior to any offer of employment or transfer into this position.

They have another opening for Assistant Dispatcher posted:
https://rn11.ultipro.com/HAW1000/JobBoard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*D1119B7114BD1C3A

Requirements
  • MUST OBTAIN FAA AIRCRAFT DISPATCH LICENSE WITHIN 18 MONTHS OF EMPLOYMENT AT EMPLOYEE'S EXPENSE.
  • Must have some typing skills.
  • Must have good command of English language, both oral and written.
  • Must be able to work with all levels of employees under pressure.
  • Related experience preferred.
  • SABRE computer experience desirable.
  • Must have high school diploma or its equivalent.
  • *DOT regulations, 14 CFR part 121 identifies this position as performing safety-sensitive functions. You will be required to undergo DOT pre-employment drug testing to determine the presence of Marijuana, Cocaine, Opiates, PCP (Phencyclidine) and Amphetamine prior to any offer of employment or transfer into this position.

Friend of mine got the last assistant gig that they had posted, he was upgraded within 3 months, he seems to like it but to each their own right.

Friend of mine got the last assistant gig that they had posted, he was upgraded within 3 months, he seems to like it but to each their own right.

Friend of mine got the last gig they posted, he too upgraded within a few months. But management wanted him to work on releases but have them released in another Dispatcher's name so they wouldn't have to pay him the upgraded rate. To each their own indeed.

Hecklers2002 said:
Friend of mine got the last gig they posted, he too upgraded within a few months. But management wanted him to work on releases but have them released in another Dispatcher's name so they wouldn't have to pay him the upgraded rate. To each their own indeed.

Sounds an awful lot like OJT to me. After all, what do you do during your desk training? Build releases and have your trainer verify, modify as needed and send them. I had no expectation as an assistant doing desk training that I was going to be paid full share during those events.

Sounds an awful lot like OJT to me. After all, what do you do during your desk training? Build releases and have your trainer verify, modify as needed and send them. I had no expectation as an assistant doing desk training that I was going to be paid full share during those events.

My bad I forgot to clarify: when I said upgraded I meant he did his comp check, passed and signed off as a dispatcher.

Hecklers2002 said:
My bad I forgot to clarify: when I said upgraded I meant he did his comp check, passed and signed off as a dispatcher.

Ah. In that case he's certainly got a legitimate beef.

Wow that's bush-league, what is the point in doing a comp check to only be treated like an assistant.

Management got onto him for using his flight benefits too much also.

There's limits to how much you can use your flight benefits!?
I've already been to all six continents and gone around the world twice in under two days on the Big D and I have not even reached my 2 year anniversary. If that's the case...

I've already been to all six continents and gone around the world twice in under two days on the Big D and I have not even reached my 2 year anniversary. If that's the case...

Sorry let me fix that:

Hawaiian Airlines limits how much you can use your flight benefits!?

Certainly don't volunteer to train then!
My hands might not be only the keyboard and mouse, but every bit of information will be digested before the release is sent. My OJT trainers kept a watchful eye on EVERY release I sent.

Back