Portland, OR

ElihuSmails

Just moved to Portland in June. Left flying at Trans States to move up there with wife's job and then I went on recall to active duty for 6mos. Coming back home around first of December and I'm on the hunt.

Yes, I have apps in at AmFlight, AeroAir, Skywest and Horizon. Curious if anyone knows about any other gigs around there aside from flight instructing. I have a CFI/CFII/MEI, right at ATP mins with 335 Multi, 205 Turbine, E145 Type (SIC). Sucks I had to leave TSA right before I was scheduled for AQP to get my ATP, but too much stuff was happening and I had to resign in order to handle personal business.

Would ultimately like to get into a good Part 91 gig. The first two companies on the list above are my primary. I haven't had a chance to network and meet with any people in the aviation community there. Any ideas?

Amflight will put you in a pa31. You're way too low for Aero Air. The other two will probably take you if you have ATP mins.

Yeah, I know AMF will put me in a PA-31. I've already had the phone interview. Was going to contact Sheri and set up an actual interview in Dec. I figured I was too low for Aero Air, from previous postings they've had, but I met mins for their current posting and threw my name in. I don't know anyone there, so I'm not expecting a call.

I looked at Martinaire. Didn't realize that they had ops in OR. They advertised a Van spot in Eugene. I'll look at the Martinaire posts and see what that's all about. Thanks.

Really?
They are laying off guys down in Portland in the ambo spots anyways.
Ya that's because they lost the Life Flight contract. CAMTS mins are 2500tt and change though. Single pilot experience a must... but like you said doesn't really matter.

I sent a resume to Seaport as well. I know a bunch of guys in MEM that ffew for them, and I think that's where all the growth and hiring has been in the last few years. Mins are just a Comm ASEL and instrument, though I think they like to see around 500-750TT with some turbine. That's what it was a few years ago anyway. Haven't heard a peep out of them, or anyone else besides Ameriflight. I'm overseas without phone service until Dec, so I'm nervous that someone called and I missed it.

I sent a resume to Seaport as well. I know a bunch of guys in MEM that ffew for them, and I think that's where all the growth and hiring has been in the last few years. Mins are just a Comm ASEL and instrument, though I think they like to see around 500-750TT with some turbine. That's what it was a few years ago anyway. Haven't heard a peep out of them, or anyone else besides Ameriflight. I'm overseas without phone service until Dec, so I'm nervous that someone called and I missed it.

Seaport is interviewing today actually. Interview offers went out early in October. I'm not aware of any other jobs in Portland. There is that part time Chieftain skydiving job up in Toledo though.

Isn't Hillsboro Aviation based close to Portland? That's one of the biggest charter operators in OR if I recall correctly.

I was browsing through their website and it seems like they're a lot more than just that . . . check it out:

http://www.hillsboroaviation.com/en/
Honestly I don't think so. I flew out of HIO for 7 months, pdx for 12. That King Air is for the Koreans or Chinese who have to get so much turbine time before going back. Their bread and butter is Asian Flight training and helos.
They may have a certificate, but I bet it's not even 1% of their flights.

Just moved to Portland in June. Left flying at Trans States to move up there with wife's job and then I went on recall to active duty for 6mos. Coming back home around first of December and I'm on the hunt.

Yes, I have apps in at AmFlight, AeroAir, Skywest and Horizon. Curious if anyone knows about any other gigs around there aside from flight instructing. I have a CFI/CFII/MEI, right at ATP mins with 335 Multi, 205 Turbine, E145 Type (SIC). Sucks I had to leave TSA right before I was scheduled for AQP to get my ATP, but too much stuff was happening and I had to resign in order to handle personal business.

Would ultimately like to get into a good Part 91 gig. The first two companies on the list above are my primary. I haven't had a chance to network and meet with any people in the aviation community there. Any ideas?
Emergency Airlift. It's an air ambulance operator out of north bend oregon. Worked for them before and it was great. Most of the pilots there love it. Schedule is mostly 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off. Many pilots live around oregon and commute.

Privately owned. Owner (Ed) is a great guy and part time sheriff for Klamath county. I think he's a sheriff to make contacts with the community...the company also has a ground ambulance side that is growing in Klamath county.

emergencyairlift.com

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think so. I flew out of HIO for 7 months, pdx for 12. That King Air is for the Koreans or Chinese who have to get so much turbine time before going back. Their bread and butter is Asian Flight training and helos.
They may have a certificate, but I bet it's not even 1% of their flights.
They do 135 charter. And some forest service contract work. Including fire watch. Knew a guy that worked there as an instructor and charter pilot. He's currently with emergency air lift (EAL)

Back