What's important to you in an airline?

Being loyal to a company that's sees you as a negative producing number on a balance sheet and nothing else is retarded. Give them exactly the amount of loyalty they give you. In general at the bottom in aviation, which is what a regional is, there is none.

Being loyal to a company that's sees you as a negative producing number on a balance sheet and nothing else is retarded. Give them exactly the amount of loyalty they give you. In general at the bottom in aviation, which is what a regional is, there is none.
anYMZgb_700b.jpg

Regionals, in my opinion, should only be seen as stepping stones. You use them to get you where you want to go. Do a good job for them while you are there; be loyal to them while you are there; but don't lose sight of the goal.
The sort of stepping stone you may be at for 10 years. These days maybe not, but when your gonna be boned for nearly a decade @spartan_rxn it's helpful for your sanity to be at company that doesn't embarrass you to work for or scare you to upgrade at because safety is spelled $afety.

1. Safety

2. Pay, QOL/living in base, and schedule

3. Upgrade time and aircraft type (besides that I'd rather fly a jet than a t-prop bc its more marketable flight time in most cases)

Why, because chasing an upgrade can bite you in the butt and bc its also about how you enjoy life.

My opinion as a second yr regional FO.
Yup.

And note that QOL and living in base takes precedence over getting out of that "lousy" turboprop, IMO.

The answer depends, in part, on your career goal.

If your goal is to move on to a major airline, and that major requires turbine PIC time, I would place upgrade time closer to the top of the list. Pay, while important, would not be a deal breaker if the higher paying airline took 2-3 years longer for an upgrade because you make it up and then some by the faster upgrade time. You then make it up, possibly to the tune of $1 million in career earnings, by getting on with a major 2-3 years earlier.

Regionals, in my opinion, should only be seen as stepping stones. You use them to get you where you want to go. Do a good job for them while you are there; be loyal to them while you are there; but don't lose sight of the goal.

Typhoonpilot
Is turbojet vs turboprop a big difference when a major looks at you flight experience?

I would say base it on your career goals and living/family situation.
If I had to do it all over again I would consider this- (my opinion) The difference between a good and bad regional can basically be summed up by the company's willingness to follow their contract.
Having said that, I would look for Airlines fall under this criteria, none more or less important than the other- Easiest to commute to and from where I live, their willingness to follow the contract, pay.
Further split hairs (if there are still options left) by considering upgrade time, type (prop vs. jet etc.), growth, jet bridges, per diem, hot FA's, cool overnights, free booze, aircraft orders, uniform hats, pizza parties, Lav on board, and on and on. Whatever your heart desires.

It wasn't 24 years ago when I was hired by a major. Nowadays I really don't know, but some of the younger guys here might have better intel on that.

TP
It seems like 135 turboprop PIC is worth basically nothing to the majors. Don't know about 121 prop time.

It seems like 135 turboprop PIC is worth basically nothing to the majors. Don't know about 121 prop time.

I think because mostly, you are doing very little "flying" in a 121 aircraft and much more "system management" whereas in a 135 turboprop you most likely are still doing a lot of actual "flying".

I think because mostly, you are doing very little "flying" in a 121 aircraft and much more "system management" whereas in a 135 turboprop you most likely are still doing a lot of actual "flying".
So they don't want people with lots of stick time?

Yes and no. It's not that stick time is bad, but watching a guy who's never worked an FMS box before try to drop in a reroute while updating the company via ACARS, talking to ATC about deviations and keeping an eye on the pilot flying so he doesn't go into a cell (all in moderate chop) can be painful.

Yes and no. It's not that stick time is bad, but watching a guy who's never worked an FMS box before try to drop in a reroute while updating the company via ACARS, talking to ATC about deviations and keeping an eye on the pilot flying so he doesn't go into a cell (all in moderate chop) can be painful.
Ehhhhh, if you can somewhat navigate a "smart phone" I think you can handle the situation you said above. I went from a plane with no fms to one that is built around the fms with little trouble. I do know what you are getting at though, I just enjoy being difficult. :)

Simply putting another pilot in the airplane reduces the workload soooooo much that if they can't multitask while doing nothing with the airplane... well then that should be embarrassing.

It's just an HR thing... Anyone can be taught how to program the box and multitask with an autopilot. I don't know why pilots continue to try to debate 121 vs. 135; once people get through the airline's training program, everyone is pretty much on the same page (with a few stylistic differences). Personality is what's really important.

Last edited:
It's just an HR thing... Anyone can be taught how to program the box and multitask with an autopilot. I don't know why pilots continue to try to debate 121 vs. 135; once people get through the airline's training program, everyone is pretty much on the same page (with a few stylistic differences). Personality is what's really important.

Agreed but, it's not just a HR thing....It's a HR thing. If you app doesn't meet the criteria that HR sets up to filter through the stack your going to get weeded out and you won't even get a chance to show them your great personality. Unfortunately today if your a 135 prop dude your left to throwing Hail Mary's at jobs fairs AND/OR doing what it takes to make your resume match what HR is buying.

Agreed but, it's not just a HR thing....It's a HR thing. If you app doesn't meet the criteria that HR sets up to filter through the stack your going to get weeded out and you won't even get a chance to show them your great personality. Unfortunately today if your a 135 prop dude your left to throwing Hail Mary's at jobs fairs AND/OR doing what it takes to make your resume match what HR is buying.
Exactly, but pilots know better (or at least should).

Back