Life at Republic

Livingdadream

Hello, I just joined the forum.
I don't really see a thread that talks about nitty gritty about RAH.that is recent.
I would like to ask how is QOL at republic, chautauqua and shuttle america. (hopefully for seperate info on each certs)
(I would like to commute from EWR or MCO)
I hear both good and bad things about these companies, what's your opinion?

Hello, I just joined the forum.
I don't really see a thread that talks about nitty gritty about RAH.that is recent.
I would like to ask how is QOL at republic, chautauqua and shuttle america. (hopefully for seperate info on each certs)
(I would like to commute from EWR or MCO)
I hear both good and bad things about these companies, what's your opinion?

Republic:

Growth, movement, good training, and a variety of bases. Republic has a EWR base.

Shuttle:

Some stagnation, decent to good training, and a few bases to chose from. Atlanta is very small and not safe as a base. O'hare is fairly large and I'm told the flying is decent. Indianapolis is decent size and is an outstation. Atlanta is also mainly an outstation, though Shuttle does do Delta flying, not a lot of it is Atlanta based, believe it or not. There is some movement at Shuttle, due to FOs upgrading

Chautauqua:

Stagnant. Movement is decent due to FOs upgrading. Some bases have gone from junior to senior and vice versa. There are quite a few seat locked captains at CHQ, although some of them are now approaching the end of the seat lock period. There have been quite a few CHQ captain classes, lately. CHQ has a variety of bases, but a few are quite small. Cleveland is very small and I think Indianapolis is, also. Chicago is medium sized. The bigger bases are CMH, SDF, and LGA. The American contract is life limited at CHQ. It was extended to June but the writing is on the wall. Most think it was only to buy time for the Republic 175s to get rolling. It's only 15 airplanes, but that's 150 pilots that could displace your base seniority.

Republic:

Growth, movement, good training, and a variety of bases. Republic has a EWR base.

Shuttle:

Some stagnation, decent to good training, and a few bases to chose from. Atlanta is very small and not safe as a base. O'hare is fairly large and I'm told the flying is decent. Indianapolis is decent size and is an outstation. Atlanta is also mainly an outstation, though Shuttle does do Delta flying, not a lot of it is Atlanta based, believe it or not. There is some movement at Shuttle, due to FOs upgrading

Chautauqua:

Stagnant. Movement is decent due to FOs upgrading. Some bases have gone from junior to senior and vice versa. There are quite a few seat locked captains at CHQ, although some of them are now approaching the end of the seat lock period. There have been quite a few CHQ captain classes, lately. CHQ has a variety of bases, but a few are quite small. Cleveland is very small and I think Indianapolis is, also. Chicago is medium sized. The bigger bases are CMH, SDF, and LGA. The American contract is life limited at CHQ. It was extended to June but the writing is on the wall. Most think it was only to buy time for the Republic 175s to get rolling. It's only 15 airplanes, but that's 150 pilots that could displace your base seniority.

Ok a few corrections about this post above.

Republic and Shuttle training is LITERALLY the same for the 170...the Q is different story. and EWR is a Q base.

Growth:
Republic has better growth due to the AA flying but since the shut down of the 190 flying almost all went to the AA 175 flying, pretty much alleviating the need for super hiring. Bases include ORD, IND, CMH, DCA, GSO ----I believe ORD, IND and GSO are senior but that changes, truly not sure.

Shuttle has decent growth, ( I have been here 1.8 years and bid 44 out of 85 in IND) due to some attrition but mainly upgrades.
Bases include ORD, IND, CMH, LGA and ATL....ORD and ATL are very senior with ATL you'll be on reserve for years and flying out of ATL is all United flying, no Delta flying. Since you can switch Certs when you upgrade, a lot of FO's switch to do so. You can't switch unless you upgrade.(there are a few rare exceptions i.e. displaced)

Ok a few corrections about this post above.

Republic and Shuttle training is LITERALLY the same for the 170...the Q is different story. and EWR is a Q base.

Growth:
Republic has better growth due to the AA flying but since the shut down of the 190 flying almost all went to the AA 175 flying, pretty much alleviating the need for super hiring. Bases include ORD, IND, CMH, DCA, GSO ----I believe ORD, IND and GSO are senior but that changes, truly not sure.

Shuttle has decent growth, ( I have been here 1.8 years and bid 44 out of 85 in IND) due to some attrition but mainly upgrades.
Bases include ORD, IND, CMH, LGA and ATL....ORD and ATL are very senior with ATL you'll be on reserve for years and flying out of ATL is all United flying, no Delta flying. Since you can switch Certs when you upgrade, a lot of FO's switch to do so. You can't switch unless you upgrade.(there are a few rare exceptions i.e. displaced)

If I have a choice btw republic and shuttle america on E170. Which certs will I have better QOL (assume commuting is necessary). and better chance of getting upgrade in fairly quick?

If I choose shuttle america is it hard to get LGA?

I'm not a Republic or Shuttle expert per se, but I would disagree that Shuttle is "growing". There is attrition, but growth and attrition are two completely different things.

If I have a choice btw republic and shuttle america on E170. Which certs will I have better QOL (assume commuting is necessary). and better chance of getting upgrade in fairly quick?

Depends on where you are commuting from. Upgrade is company wide seniority, so it's the same regardless of cert. I think LGA goes junior at Shuttle. Republic has a PHL e170 and EWR Q400 base if you are in the EWR area you could drive to these bases.

Last edited:
I'm not a Republic or Shuttle expert per se, but I would disagree that Shuttle is "growing". There is attrition, but growth and attrition are two completely different things.
agreed...but just note that there are S5 pilot list is ~100 pilots larger than 2 years ago

Decide on which commute is easier.... that should be the only reason between the two companies, other than that there are tiny differences..and upgrade is all one list, so it won't make any difference.

I'm guessing that was the Delta addition we had back a ways. . Not sure
think so too...also with the addition of Delta's 717 and them taking back the Delta Shuttle out LGA...they told our CP that we are getting more Delta Connection flights....so who knows

Are PHL and PIT bases for Republic? If so, how senior are those?

PIT is junior on the 170, if you wanted PHL you could get it in a few months the way things have been going. PIT is also a Q400 base, probably could hold it out of class or not long after.

Beat me too it, I'm on CHQ side, I live in base so my QOL is decent. I was originally LGA based and never had to do a day of RSV and now I easily hold a line, I get about half of the days off I want with some weekends. At CHQ efficiency is bad though, we have no trip or duty rigs so you often sit at hubs and even outstations for hours at a time.

There are a couple of 800 lb. gorillas in the room though.

1. FO pay here is lower than almost every other jet regional except for maybe MESA. The 5k bonus (3k after taxes) helps a little... but if you put us besides AE, SKYW or XJ the pay is night and day after year 2. With the current movement and flying it looks like FO's hired now will be able to upgrade to the Q in a little over 3 years. This is very fluid and always subject to change.

2. Involuntarily displacements. We have a bad record of opening and closing bases and pushing people around. If this happens you CAN'T switch air frames to stay in base. Ex. in 2007 GSO flying switched from CHQ to RP on the 170. It was very senior but all the 145 FOs and CA's that couldn't hold 170 CA were displaced... it was then filled with 170 new hire FO's. I've flown with a couple of these unfortunate souls... bitter is an understatement. I'd bet my bottom dollar this will happen to the ORD base at CHQ in the next year or two (AA flying that is switching to RP.)

3. Cancellation pay. We don't have it, just a 75 hr. guarantee. I've lost many hrs sitting around due to mx and wx, watching my credit go down.

3. Contract negotiations. 6 years and running with subpar pay, we are very understaffed. Its almost like management would rather do irreppairable damage to our operation and reputation and spin it as the pilot's fault than work with us to fix the problem. We are probably running about 100 FO's short on all 3 certs and its slowly getting worse. A lot more to be said on the issue but I don't feel like writing book.

Enter Republic with care.

Last edited:
If I have a choice btw Q400, E145 and E170.
I hear from many sources that jet time is preferrable by Major than turboprop time. is that true?
Then should I avoid Q400?

I would think twice about going to any regional without CX pay that feeds United in EWR.

They'll cancel 2 days worth of regional flights given a bad storm in winter...Afternoon storms too will result in huge swaths of cx's.

There's just too much out of our control to give up that sort of $ IMO.

Back