FOI on CFI Practical Test

To what degree do you need to know the FOI for the Practical Test?

• You're allowed to use notes and it's not necessary to memorize it. Just know the main ideas.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RedBaron2000

I have my check ride scheduled for the 15th, and I feel I'm mostly prepared for my initial CFI-A test. I've been studying hard the FOI , trying to learn it practically speaking but also memorize a good bit of it.

Do all the various lists in the FOI need to be memorized cold? I have created roughly 8 pages of notes of all the various lists in the FOI material, separated by Task and number under that task, so I feel very confident in being able list, explain, and give examples of say, the 7 levels of learning under the psychomotor domain of learning, for example, as long as I can use my notes. I'm just not sure I can list every defense mechanism from memory without forgetting a couple, or every common obstacle to learning from memory, etc. I feel fairly comfortable with the FOI material otherwise, and I've memorized quite a bit of it using the familiar acronyms (REEPIR, COIL, RUAC, LISF, et al.).

So I guess I'm kind of asking, can you use notes for the FOI section of the oral? I know the rest of the CFI oral is basically open book.

Memorize every list cold. All of it. You shouldn't count on being able to use notes for that. You probably won't have to list out defense mechanisms, but you will get asked questions about a specific scenario and have to tell the examiner what defense mechanism could occur, and how you would fix the problem.

FOI testing, ironically, is about 75% rote memorization and 25% being able to explain how it applies to real situations.

Basically the FAA just wants to make sure you've learned it to the rote level? Got it. Makes perfect sense.

Basically the FAA just wants to make sure you've learned it to the rote level? Got it. Makes perfect sense.

Well here's the fun part of the CFI check ride. You dont really know what you're gonna get. There are people here who've had the inspector spend 2 hours on FOI, covering every acronym and detail you can think of. My inspector was a very practical guy and he barely touched on the acronyms but he wanted to see the application of FOI concepts in the way I taught. It was scenarios... this guy comes to you with X experience and Y goals and Z problems... what do you do. So, you just really need to be prepared for it all.

Well here's the fun part of the CFI check ride. You dont really know what you're gonna get. There are people here who've had the inspector spend 2 hours on FOI, covering every acronym and detail you can think of. My inspector was a very practical guy and he barely touched on the acronyms but he wanted to see the application of FOI concepts in the way I taught. It was scenarios... this guy comes to you with X experience and Y goals and Z problems... what do you do. So, you just really need to be prepared for it all.

Yeah I read your full write up on your experience. Sounded like a great and practical guy, and how it ought to be. The one I'm going to get has been described as fair but extremely thorough and very detail oriented. Should be fun!

If you talk in your sleep, you should be reciting it then...that's how cold it needs to be known

Yeah pretty much, because you haven't been instructing. Once you start instructing it all will start making sense. In your first 100h of dual given you'll see all kinds of hazardous attitudes, defensive reactions, personality types and whatnot. But until then just memorize it.

Yeah pretty much, because you haven't been instructing. Once you start instructing it all will start making sense. In your first 100h of dual given you'll see all kinds of hazardous attitudes, defensive reactions, personality types and whatnot. But until then just memorize it.

"...change in behavior as a result of experience."

Back