777 nose-wheel steering?

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Today up in the ramp tower, I saw an Asiana 777 cross the 1's on F1 which gave me a perfect vantage point from behind the airplane. What I noticed was that as the plane sweerved down the taxi line, the rudder moved everytime the airplane did. Interesting...I was under the impression up until now that the tiller in the 777 just moved the nosewheel. Could they have been steering with the pedals going 15 knots or less?

Second question, is it normal to sweerve side to side in a heavy jet? Seemed like endless corrections left, then right, then left, then right, the whole way down the taxiway.

Today up in the ramp tower, I saw an Asiana 777 cross the 1's on F1 which gave me a perfect vantage point from behind the airplane. What I noticed was that as the plane sweerved down the taxi line, the rudder moved everytime the airplane did. Interesting...I was under the impression up until now that the tiller in the 777 just moved the nosewheel. Could they have been steering with the pedals going 15 knots or less?

Second question, is it normal to sweerve side to side in a heavy jet? Seemed like endless corrections left, then right, then left, then right, the whole way down the taxiway.
Probably

Short of the Metro, Turbo Comander, and Twin Otter,*insert other airplane with dumb noisewheel steering*, I think most airplanes with hydraulic nosewheel steering have small amounts of nosewheel control with the pedals(IIRC 5 degrees left and right on a CRJ), and the tiller gives you full movement.

On a straight taxiway like that we normally steer with the pedals and not the tiller. Someone swerving like that is indicative of a guy looking right in front of the nose and not down the taxiway. Then again, no one has ever filmed me taxiing so maybe I do the same thing. He may also be using the camera too much.

We taxi up to 30 knots then make a single brake application back down. It keeps the brakes cooler and saves wear on them.

Most planes will give you a few degrees left and right with the rudder peddles and then the full turn authority with the tiller. Without looking it up I think we can do 17 degrees with just our feet and then with the tiller it goes the full 89 degrees. Maybe? ATN_Pilot

Most planes will give you a few degrees left and right with the rudder peddles and then the full turn authority with the tiller. Without looking it up I think we can do 17 degrees with just our feet and then with the tiller it goes the full 89 degrees. Maybe? ATN_Pilot

I can't remember what the CRJ did. On the 717, the rudder pedals give you 15 degrees, and the tiller gives you 80 degrees.

SO what were you awarded/assigned?

The 717. No choice for anybody in the class. My bid is for the French Widebody (huh... who know french people could be fat?) but I'm going to have to sit out a 2 year seat lock first. The plus side though is that my flight case will only have to hold a Jepp Binder with 5 airports in it and whatever food I want to bring for the day.

The 717. No choice for anybody in the class. My bid is for the French Widebody (huh... who know french people could be fat?) but I'm going to have to sit out a 2 year seat lock first. The plus side though is that my flight case will only have to hold a Jepp Binder with 5 airports in it and whatever food I want to bring for the day.

Just curious!

The 717, which is a lot like the mad dog, is a fun jet. GIGO.

Just curious!

The 717, which is a lot like the mad dog, is a fun jet. GIGO.

I think it will be a lot of fun. We also (apparently) fly the hell out of it out here with a lot of pretty gnarly visual approaches and what not. Just waiting for OE now so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

This sounds weird, but if you fly it now, you'll always miss it.

I'm not even on the Airbus yet, but studying the systems, I already miss the Boeing and Douglas aircraft.

I'm not even on the Airbus yet, but studying the systems, I already miss the Boeing and Douglas aircraft.

Like, how everything on the Boeing has a nice, satisfying ka-chunk when moved?

Ahh, 'murica. :)

Some aircraft have both. Some of my "new to be co-workers" say your leg, your taxi.

That's how we do it. Whoever is doing the leg does the setup and taxi. That means on a 2 man crew the Captain will do the walk around when I'm flying as well. The 747 and 777 have tillers on both sides, not sure about the 'Bus.

Everybody here I've talked to has said that. They'd all still be on it if it paid like the big planes and you weren't doing 10 legs a day with it. I'm just happy I got a DC9 type out of the deal. Nobody has to know I'm flying the glass version. At least it still has the silly mirror to find the whiskey compass.

Wait, you got hired at that airline out in the middle of the Pacific? Awesome! I had no idea. You'll absolutely love the airplane. All the toughness of a Douglas, with all the technology to make work a breeze. I'd fly it for the next 30 years if I could.

The MCDU is the most different. And it won't start down on its own. Other than that, I just have zero desire to go back to a plane with a yoke! Getting to have my own tiller is great fun, too.

Wait, you got hired at that airline out in the middle of the Pacific? Awesome! I had no idea. You'll absolutely love the airplane. All the toughness of a Douglas, with all the technology to make work a breeze. I'd fly it for the next 30 years if I could.

Thanks. Everybody here that flies it loves it. Everybody that used to fly it but is now on a widebody talks about how much they loved it and how they would go back to it if it paid more and you didn't have to do 10 legs a day with it.

Back