Beech 1900 versus Metroliner

gomntwins should have his own sticky thread in the Freight Dog forum. "Ask a salty old FreightHound" or something.

Me, obviously, I think the Metro is nearly as manly as the Mitsi, and I hate Kingairs with the passion of a thousand dying suns, so the answer is obvious. From a future employment perspective, I doubt it matters anymore, if it ever did.

So...all other things being equal (which they never are), if you're the kind of guy who drives a Volvo or Accord, fly the 1900. If you're the kind of guy who drives the kind of cars it's hard to find parts for because they're the kind of cars it's hard to find parts for...Metrosize it.

But of course the real answer is: fly the one that provides the most money and QOL.

I have Merlin time. No 1900 time. The aircraft is irrelevant. Mo dough, mo time to play. All things equal, you're a rung above entry level flying either one of those, so pick the one that you want to fly, and go drill holes.

The comment about why FedEX pays to fly 1900's only means that the company that bid the contract flys 1900's. Can they do the job? On time? And within FedEX's requirements? If the answer is yes, sign the deal. I'd fly the one that will 1. pay the most (or has the most income earning potential) 2. gives me the most time off, and the least chance of being stuck somewhere with a broken airplane. And I'd do it with a smile on my face because a lot of other jobs suck.

I used to work for States West Airlines back in 1989-90 and they had Shorts and Jetstream 31, they got rid of those and got the 1900C because they were more efficient. Then they had a couple Beech 1300's also, which is a 13 seater KingAir350. Not that anybody cares about old T-prop operators.

they got rid of those and got the 1900C because they were more efficient.

I think the Spruce Goose was more efficient than a Shorts or Junkstream. I'd be awfully surprised if a 1900 can beat a Metro on fuel, although I suspect that MX costs on the Metro get close to evening the score. Somehow the brute (inefficient) simplicity of the backwards engines won out in the end against the beauty, elegance, engineering, and kickass noise of the ones that point in the right damned direction. :(

I think the Spruce Goose was more efficient than a Shorts or Junkstream. I'd be awfully surprised if a 1900 can beat a Metro on fuel, although I suspect that MX costs on the Metro get close to evening the score. Somehow the brute (inefficient) simplicity of the backwards engines won out in the end against the beauty, elegance, engineering, and kickass noise of the ones that point in the right damned direction. :(

My desk was right next to the SIM. Now I won't say that is why I wanted to fly, but it sure didn't make me not want to. They did a lot of windshear into KBHC which is KIFP now.

I've got a wopping 11 hours in the metro so far, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The metro is NOT that big of a deal. It does make me look like a moron at the moment, but I get sensory overload in new planes. 10 more hours, that will go away. It doesn't put up with the lazy or complacent however. Many pilots at AMF have had incidents that shouldn't have been incidents if they didn't get complacent.

It flies just fine. Aileron authority is similar to a baron except for when it gets slow. Crosswinds are(so far) harder than in any other airplane I've flown.

If you embrace that the thing is not a beechcraft product, it's systems make sense too.

Personally, I think the metro is more interesting, and Garrets>PT-6, so I picked that over the hondo. :) If the guy who asked the question is at AMF, the pay is the same for both, so pick your poison. Single pilot is single pilot. It's you and only you up front making PIC decisions. The equipment is irrelevant. Though honestly, from personal experience, 172s and 210s have WAY more difficult ADM scenarios. Bigger planes just add systems to the mix. That's what training, the AFM, and checklist are for though.

All that being said, the 1900 is for girls. Sorry Jfk-Pilot :)

Metro hands down faster and burns less fuel. But holds less volume and weight. Parts are very hard to find when things break and not a lot of support for the metro.
Now back to the OP it doesn't matter which one. Pick the one that pays more which if its AMF it's the same pay scale.

I've got a wopping 11 hours in the metro so far, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The metro is NOT that big of a deal. It does make me look like a moron at the moment, but I get sensory overload in new planes. 10 more hours, that will go away. It doesn't put up with the lazy or complacent however. Many pilots at AMF have had incidents that shouldn't have been incidents if they didn't get complacent.

It flies just fine. Aileron authority is similar to a baron except for when it gets slow. Crosswinds are(so far) harder than in any other airplane I've flown.

If you embrace that the thing is not a beechcraft product, it's systems make sense too.

Personally, I think the metro is more interesting, and Garrets>PT-6, so I picked that over the hondo. :) If the guy who asked the question is at AMF, the pay is the same for both, so pick your poison. Single pilot is single pilot. It's you and only you up front making PIC decisions. The equipment is irrelevant. Though honestly, from personal experience, 172s and 210s have WAY more difficult ADM scenarios. Bigger planes just add systems to the mix. That's what training, the AFM, and checklist are for though.

All that being said, the 1900 is for girls. Sorry Jfk-Pilot :)

Rod Machado said, presciently, that you have your own set of problems in larger airplanes, but generally, getting away from them is not one of them. He's right.

The metro is fine when everything works. Emergencies, specifically single engine operations and nose wheel steering failures, she gets real 'fun' real quick. Never, nevèr, never let your guard down with a metro (or any airplane for that matter) I've had emergencies in a number of different airframes, but the metro gets a lot more 'sporting' then anything else I've ever flown. My favorite was when the stupid electric trim stopped working (not engine or nosewheel, but still super fun); it was something aerodynamically wrong so neither trim worked, and I had my legs pushing the yoke forward in level flight keeping her level. She did land nice though!

The metro is NOT that big of a deal. It does make me look like a moron at the moment, but I get sensory overload in new planes. 10 more hours, that will go away. Jfk-Pilot :)

I hate to tell you this but the metro will be kicking your behind here and there for quite some time!

T My favorite was when the stupid electric trim stopped working (not engine or nosewheel, but still super fun); it was something aerodynamically wrong so neither trim worked, and I had my legs pushing the yoke forward in level flight keeping her level. She did land nice though!

I have that t-shirt also!

I became quite the pro with deferred nosewheel steering also.

I have to blame somebody when I don't pay attention.

The Navy is flying the piss out of their Metro's. I thought they must have a dozen because I was seeing them all over Europe. Finally ran into a pilot and learned they only had four. Pilots said they loved them. Maybe they just like flying without a helmet.

Real airplanes have round engines. If you don't have a blown jug or two under your belt go home! :)
Be18's used to be the lexicon of freight dogs. What has this world come to?

Back