Hired. Again.

GX

I was just offered an FO position with Mesa Airlines. It was a rather interesting interview, but it landed me the job.

It's an open offer for 1 year. That said, I'm loving Alaska, so.... since there's not a lot of pay, my QOL is entirely too good right now to leave Alaska.

Congrats...or not? I've read Mesa has a great training program, not so great QOL.

I was really impressed in my conversation with the pilot recruiter. I know... recruiters will say anything... been down that road. It wasn't lip service, though. There were real answers to my questions about how things are being organized and operated as they emerge from the bankruptcy. It was, obviously, a concern. If I can steer away from Chicago or DC, I think I'll be alright. Phoenix is home, and Charlotte is a cool city. I'd be happy in either place. I felt like every question or concern that I had regarding pay, QoL, and upward mobility (hiring forecast, attrition, loss via upward advancement with the majors, etc) were adequately addressed. I have some time to get the real time gouge on that stuff to see if Mesa would be a good fit.

I don't really care about the shiny jet, I care about upward mobility in my career, pay, and QoL. The jet is a hole in the card that needs to be punched to get me admittance into the club that I want to be in.

My top schools I want to apply to are Oxford and the Sorbonne. Harvard's my safety.

You know someone at Harvard? ;)

I used to work for Mesa, and although it has been a few years and I'm sure a lot has changed, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I also still have several friends that work there, so could possibly get current info for you as well. Oh, and I live in Charlotte, so can try to answer some questions there too...

Don't let all these naysayer's bring you down. Congrats on getting a job. If you've done some research about the industry and the possible employers, only you can make the best decision for yourself and your career. Mesa may not be the best airline to work for, but they certainly aren't the worst, in my opinion.

Mesa is still around? They were the scum of the Earth when I was pumping gas at the local FBO and going through college back in 2002.

Mesa is still around? They were the scum of the Earth when I was pumping gas at the local FBO and going through college back in 2002.

Let me Google that for you... :D 2002?! Things change in 11 years, generally. Honestly, I didn't know much about Mesa aside from them filing BK in 2011. They're still emerging, but recently added 9 900's to the fleet. They're hiring, and growing. All good things. I was really impressed with the people with whom I had spoken. They were direct about the problems that you speak of, and said that that stuff doesn't happen anymore. I'm sure as it gets discussed here, the guys who fly for them now could expound on it a bit.

Have you done any revenue flights yet?

If you're talking pax, no. Freight/groceries, yes. Insurance wanted 15 hrs of dual in the Lance. Done in 2.5 days. All of our dual flights were revenue. Logging about 6-7 per day. Will become 10-12 as I get proficient.

Let me Google that for you... :D 2002?! Things change in 11 years, generally. Honestly, I didn't know much about Mesa aside from them filing BK in 2011. They're still emerging, but recently added 9 900's to the fleet. They're hiring, and growing. All good things. I was really impressed with the people with whom I had spoken. They were direct about the problems that you speak of, and said that that stuff doesn't happen anymore. I'm sure as it gets discussed here, the guys who fly for them now could expound on it a bit.

If you're talking pax, no. Freight/groceries, yes. Insurance wanted 15 hrs of dual in the Lance. Done in 2.5 days. All of our dual flights were revenue. Logging about 6-7 per day. Will become 10-12 as I get proficient.
How is 10-12 hours of flying a day legal for a single pilot crew under 135?

I deadhead pretty frequently on Mesa. Their planes look pretty ratty. At surejet, our CRJs have special, thinner, seat cushions in the exit rows to allow better clearance to the emergency exits. Mesa has those in every row.

But I will say this. I have yet to here/see a Mesa crew that has been anything less than professional. As an outsider looking in, their crews are what keep the whole thing together.

How is 10-12 hours of flying a day legal for a single pilot crew under 135?

Honestly? When your options are fly the plane home, or overnight in a mosquito infested Native American village in the middle of the Alaskan bush (most likely in a gapped out hangar sleeping on the floor), while it's daylight out at midnight, you suck it up for 1.6 or 2.2 and fly the airplane home. That's my take, anyways. Alaskan flying isn't for everyone. And we all know this up here.

Did you think I would have a "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night." joke?

Honestly? When your options are fly the plane home, or overnight in a mosquito infested Native American village in the middle of the Alaskan bush (most likely in a gapped out hangar sleeping on the floor), while it's daylight out at midnight, you suck it up for 1.6 or 2.2 and fly the airplane home. That's my take, anyways. Alaskan flying isn't for everyone. And we all know this up here.

Did you think I would have a "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night." joke?
Ah, the ol' "91 it home" game. Glad where I work (which is Alaska BTW) we don't play that one.

Are you at Air Supply?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they selling groceries as well?

Ah, the ol' "91 it home" game. Glad where I work (which is Alaska BTW) we don't play that one.

Cool. Good for you. Anything else you'd like to share? I took what I could get having little time, no Alaska experience and a big dream. And you're going to internet lawyer my life? Cool, bro. Keep it classy.

Cool. Good for you. Anything else you'd like to share? I took what I could get having little time, no Alaska experience and a big dream. And you're going to internet lawyer my life? Cool, bro. Keep it classy.
Easy there killer, Roger is good people, has been doing the Alaska thing for a while now (although SE is very different from where you are), and knows a few things that can keep you alive. "Taking what you can get," when one is low time can be a blessing, but also keep in mind that that inherently means that your employer could be taking advantage of you. 10-12 hours of flying a day when you're young and just starting can be a good thing, but month aft month of that up and over the Alaska range out to places like Pedro Bay, Nondalton, and Kokhanok can eat your lunch. Pedro Bay in particular when the weather is down can be nasty, and I've had some seriously rough air landing east at Kokhanok.

If you're flying for Air Supply I believe all their grocery flights can be 91 as they're the one selling the groceries, correct?

Back