Tight fit with hangar

spoolinup22

So I have a friend that wants to buy a new airplane but the one he wants is about 1-2 feet too tall for the hangar. Any ideas?

Edit: wingspan is fine, it's just height.

So I have a friend that wants to buy a new airplane but the one he wants is about 1-2 feet too tall for the hangar. Any ideas?

There used to be a little quanset hut hangar at the airport I learned to fly at. It had short doors. There were a couple tricycle gear aircraft stored in it that were too tall. They'd just push down on the tail until it cleared the door and let it up on the other side. If I recall correctly, one of them had a weight they used to hang on the tail tiedown to make it easier when working alone.

Whatever you do, be careful. More aircraft damage occurs from hangar rash than anything else. I've seen a "strut extender" used on the nose strut on a Cessna 310 to lower the tail. I've also seen people use power tugs that lift the nose off the ground. However, 1-2 feet may be too much. These solutions may cover a few inches.

Just ease it in, let her tell you when she wants more, especially if it is the first time yet putting it in the hanger. And astroglide is so much better....wait what are we talking about anyways?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Edit: wingspan is fine, it's just height.

Who owns the Hangar? What type of doors?

I have seen Hangars modified to fit Navajos, all of them had sliding type of doors, the hangar inside was taller then the door so they just cut out the extra space needed and put a reversed U frame to strengthen the area.

Looking a bit around for a big plane it may be cheaper to rent space within a large FBO type of hangar then rent a single one big enough for the plane.

Back