Reinstating a CFI

Boris Badenov

This is no laughing matter.
Anyone done this? Is it significantly different from the first ride? Do I need a signoff? Do I have to/can I do it with the FSDO? Will it be another seven hour oral?

There has GOT to be a good story behind this...

I'm bored.

Plus, I think it's almost like my civic duty to start teaching the young pilots of today, because, frankly, YOU SUCK. I'll be an unholy terror! No GPS for anything EVER. If you show up for a lesson with a G1000, I'm turning it off. Lots and LOTS of turns around a point, and if I judge them inadequate, there will be a swagger-stick for hitting about the head and neck!

I will never ever ever let my CFI expire. I worked too dang hard for it.

Yeah it was pretty dumb of me to do it. I was out in New Mexico in school, there were no instructing opportunities, I was at that stage not even certain I would ever fly again, and, IMS, the FSDO was all the way down in ABQ. You know, "I'll get around to it tomorrow". When in Manana-Land... ;)

I'm bored.

Plus, I think it's almost like my civic duty to start teaching the young pilots of today, because, frankly, YOU SUCK. I'll be an unholy terror! No GPS for anything EVER. If you show up for a lesson with a G1000, I'm turning it off. Lots and LOTS of turns around a point, and if I judge them inadequate, there will be a swagger-stick for hitting about the head and neck!

Can you teach in a garage built thingy with no AI?

If you have a decent relationship with your POI, I would go that route. I haven't had to have mine reinstated, but the only way the renewal could be any simpler is if they filled out the 8710 for me.

I'm bored.

I flew NDB's to minimums in actual during my instrument and the odd PAR back in the day. Haven't flown in 10 years.... CAN I HAZ BFR???

If you have a decent relationship with your POI, I would go that route. I haven't had to have mine reinstated, but the only way the renewal could be any simpler is if they filled out the 8710 for me.

Yeah I should have done that back when I worked for a local op. I think our POI is in Denver, though, so...

They don't even know how it works over there anymore. You know everyones favorite retired controller flies that plane. You're always golden

The man himself is on his way up to Hannibal as we speak. Y'all be nice to him when he comes back, it's lookin a bit stormy round here!

Get a CFI add-on in another category. And if you're really bored pick one that you don't have on you pilot certificate (like LTA or smth)

Well, if cost were no object, I'd get a rotorcraft one, but uh, that's a little bit "dear" for dear old me. Plus, I'd like to earn back the layout by terrifying students and get an opportunity to be Curmudgeonly at the same time! Win/Win, wouldn't you say?

Back