IFL Group

Second hand info... First yr FO pay 30k, second yr 50k is on the high side (dependant on how much you fly) lots of out and backs to and from Central America and the Caribbean, bases in Ypsilanti, Miami, and an aircraft and crew in BQN... all I know good luck

Hard to get on there unless you know someone. I'm pretty sure that their Michigan base is at Pontiac, not YIP. I think they have a 15 or 20 minute callout. Other than that, I've heard good things about working there.

I'm pretty sure that the Convair 5800s all have EFIS with GPS and an autopilot.

The Falcons they have are supposedly the nicest in the freight biz. Working. APUs, autopilot, GPS, etc.

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

They have an airplane or two in Thief River Falls, MN that does digikey flying straight to Louisville every night.

They have an airplane or two in Thief River Falls, MN that does digikey flying straight to Louisville every night.

Yes. They have a Falcon 20 that UPS contracts into SDF. It's usually a 731 Falcon and looks good for a freighter. But with anything feeding UPS, the contract can go away at UPS' whim.

I think pretty damn impossible to get in without knowing someone. The Convairs are all EFIS and pretty damn impressive, and their 731 Falcons are damn nice for freighters.

Every crew I've talked to has been quite content.

If I wasn't so sick of the on-demand 135 world I'd certainly be interested.

I have friends on each of their types, they all seem to love it. I'm tempted every day to try to get a job there, but I just cannot come to terms with the callout. My friends say it really isn't that bad because theres a rotation, and you almost always know who is up next.

Your schedule is basically 24/7 on call except when you get your 1 in 7, typically Sunday.. The convairs and falcons may get more time off since they have more crews (Saturday and Sunday), but the 727 crews aren't getting much time off this time of year. Personally, I think the lifestyle is great. You might spend a total of 2 weeks in the hotel throughout the year, the rest of the time, you're sleeping in your own bed. But they do have you on a leash with their 20 minute call out time. So you can't really do much or go anywhere outside of the area when you're on call.

Your schedule is basically 24/7 on call except when you get your 1 in 7, typically Sunday.. The convairs and falcons may get more time off since they have more crews (Saturday and Sunday), but the 727 crews aren't getting much time off this time of year. Personally, I think the lifestyle is great. You might spend a total of 2 weeks in the hotel throughout the year, the rest of the time, you're sleeping in your own bed. But they do have you on a leash with their 20 minute call out time. So you can't really do much or go anywhere outside of the area when you're on call.
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Oh come on.. It's really not so bad. I mean, you get paid to stick around town all day. You can basically do whatever you want except crack open a cold one, unless you just got back from a trip. This job isn't for everyone! But if being home is important to you, then I would definitely look in to them. From reading a lot of other posts, I gather that most guys are young and not settled down so home time isn't all that important yet.

I should specify my contact that gave me the info was on the Convair, I know nothing about the Falcon flying.

IFL's Convairs are nicely equipped. I think the 20-min callout isn't so bad because guys know what they're getting into. What might be bumps in the road for some people is that 1) on-demand freight is NOT for everyone, and 2) this is def not a time-building job. I would go because you like the lifestyle, not to enhance your qualifications.

Back