A Cirrus

mshunter

Yes, a damn Cirrus has me stuck in SBP right now because the starter can only swing one blade throug. Even with a jump hooked up at 28 volts, it still only swings one blade through. Now I remember why I hate Conies, they have crappy starters! A Lycoming would spit pieces out the tail pipe before it gave up the ghost.

The owner better hope it's not the starter drive clutch assembly...$10k ish overhauled last time The Company had to buy one.

The Spirit of San Luis restaurant has some legit french toast, and a crazy awesome breakfast sandwich.

mshunter,

I had this same thing happen to me with a turbo SR22. It was the starter adapter. There is a SB to change them out but no one does until it goes out. Cirrus used to have these quick turn starters that started the engine almost instantly, but they been having problems with them, so they now have these slow turning starters. (I personally like the fast ones when they worked). Cirrus payed to replace ours.

On another note, when it went out on me, I hand propped it and it started just fine.

I had more starters go out in Lycoming Cessnas than any other plane by the way.

The owner better hope it's not the starter drive clutch assembly...$10k ish overhauled last time The Company had to buy one.

It's a problem with the Conti, not the Cirrus though?

In all honesty, the Cirrus is probably one of the nicest airplanes I've ever flown. It's comfortable, fast, has good range, etc. But I have just never been a fan of Continental engines. They seem to have more issues than anything else I've flown behind/in front of.

If in for started have them check the alternator gears. They are plastic and get brittle and break. Not sure if there is a SB or not in them.

It's a problem with the Conti, not the Cirrus though?

In all honesty, the Cirrus is probably one of the nicest airplanes I've ever flown. It's comfortable, fast, has good range, etc. But I have just never been a fan of Continental engines. They seem to have more issues than anything else I've flown behind/in front of.
Yup, continental uses a goofy spring clutch assembly to drive the engine off of the starter....there are a number of things that can wear them out prematurely and if they go it's expensive and a hassle to replace. At least on a Lycoming if you blow up the starter bendix you can get a new one for relatively cheap and replace it in an hour.

Yup, continental uses a goofy spring clutch assembly to drive the engine off of the starter....there are a number of things that can wear them out prematurely and if they go it's expensive and a hassle to replace. At least on a Lycoming if you blow up the starter bendix you can get a new one for relatively cheap and replace it in an hour.
I hate Continental powerplants.

That's insane, man aviation is such an idiotic industry in so many ways.

Hi I'm an attorney,I can help you with that accident you didn't cause. I am here to help you get millions of dollars from everyone who manufactured ANYTHING on that airplane including the auto parts store where you bought that non TSOed seat cover.

Hi I'm an attorney,I can help you with that accident you didn't cause. I am here to help you get millions of dollars from everyone who manufactured ANYTHING on that airplane including the auto parts store where you bought that non TSOed seat cover.
Hi, I'm the manufacturer of the TSO'd parts. We aren't liable because the airworthiness of the aircraft was invalidated due to a non TSO'd seat cover installed on the aircraft. GOOD DAY SIR.

Back