And AMR Management doesn't expect guys to jump ship or call in sick?

"YURRRRR on a work action!"

"Call it what you want but the fuel flow indicator is inop and so is the fuel tank indication in that wing, which conflicts with the MEL. And looks like the APU isn't starting either... And we've still got an open writeup from the last crew. What would you like?"

I went through crap like that daily.

Didn't know you worked for surejet :p

So if you write things up, it's a job action, but if you don't write things up, it'll cost you your job?

Here's what I don't get. Why should anything be different? Why should there be an "increase" in writeups? Wouldn't the same thing you wrote up today, be written up yesterday, or last week, or last month, etc; if you'd found it then? Point being, there should be no difference in writeups, theoretically speaking, because the same things should always be written up. MY question would be, why were fewer things being written up before, if they truly were actual problem items?

Here's what I don't get. Why should anything be different? Why should there be an "increase" in writeups? Wouldn't the same thing you wrote up today, be written up yesterday, or last week, or last month, etc; if you'd found it then? Point being, there should be no difference in writeups, theoretically speaking, because the same things should always be written up. MY question would be, why were fewer things being written up before, if they truly were actual problem items?

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that writeups go up because MX isn't fixing things because the company doesn't have the money to pay for the parts now that they're in bankruptcy?

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that writeups go up because MX isn't fixing things because the company doesn't have the money to pay for the parts now that they're in bankruptcy?

So there are fewer things being fixed then. Or more things are breaking, compared to before.

So its not that pilots were letting some things slide before, and are now writing up everything.

Judging by the multiple AA planes last week with the cabin seats that weren't installed correctly, there's probably good merit to your point.

Likely because pilots are generally type A personalities with a git 'er done mentality regardless of "speed bumps" in the road. The speed bumps for example being things like minor mx issues that realistically don't affect the flight, but to be documented and deferred at an outstation requires contract maintenance to be called in just to sign paperwork. The result are delays and disruption to operations. Often a product of the general culture at an airline to move the rig. Make too many calls to get a light bulb deferred at an outstation and suddenly you have made a name for yourself which often brings with it the negative consequences you would expect.

Very different mindset than military operations where unless a mission was something like a 1A or 1B priority (been a while, I think that's what they were), anytime we found something we tell the chief and they get someone to bring the part out and fix it right there or (very rarely) defer it. Airline operations with regard to deferred mx items can be quite an eye opening experience... There are more deferred items when money starts getting tight. Costs a lot more in parts to fix something that can be flown broken for weeks deferred.

So there are fewer things being fixed then. Or more things are breaking, compared to before.

So its not that pilots were letting some things slide before, and are now writing up everything.

I think it's probably a bit of both. Like Ed said, lots of little broken things that a pilot might have let slide before in the name of "getting the job done" are now being written up on the spot. I was based in one of our MX bases for a long time and I know a lot of stuff got pushed along until the plane came back to the barn for the night where a laundry list was given to the mechanics meeting it. Not really legal, but it prevented who knows how many delays during the day and kept the operation running.The flip side is that technically that was illegal and if a fed happened to notice the burned out logo light that a crew ignored all day knowing full well it would get fixed that evening, they could get in serious trouble. I'd guess that AA pilots feel like they are under increased scrutiny by the feds because of the BK. I know we were over here when that was going on. I've NEVER had so many fed observations rides and ramp checks as I did during that time period.

Also, just like the pilots are angry, the mechanics are too. That means that instead of fully troubleshooting a problem they may just swap out what they think is a broken part and hope that's actually what was causing the issue. Additionally during BK a lot of suppliers may not extend any sort of credit to AA so it might be difficult to get new parts meaning parts that normally are changed out at a certain time are staying on the airframes longer (as long as it's legal) and a lot of the replacements are refurbs instead of new.

I certainly hope whatever the flu or sickness that was going around the last few weeks is clearing up now, I have a vacation that starts on Tues. and we are flying American. Glad to see AMR and the APA go back to the table. Once again I hope everyone is feeling better.

I certainly hope whatever the flu or sickness that was going around the last few weeks is clearing up now, I have a vacation that starts on Tues. and we are flying American. Glad to see AMR and the APA go back to the table. Once again I hope everyone is feeling better.

Unless I'm mistaken, sick calls have remained consistent with historical levels at AA, its the maintenance write-ups and rampant understaffing that are leading to issues.

Unless I'm mistaken, sick calls have remained consistent with historical levels at AA, its the maintenance write-ups and rampant understaffing that are leading to issues.

Not an expert either on their staffing, but I believe a lot of the grief is that sick *leave* has increased recently. I'm assuming they are classifying this as a short-term type leave. Along with the mx obviously.

Not an expert either on their staffing, but I believe a lot of the grief is that sick *leave* has increased recently. I'm assuming they are classifying this as a short-term type leave. Along with the mx obviously.

I'd be interested to see the numbers given everything that is happening, but you do have a point marking a difference between sick calls and leave. I seem to recall reading something that mentioned more pilots are taking leave to handle health care issues now, rather than put them off because of the cuts they're going to/are taking. Either way, running short staffed (from what I've read and from talking to their pilots) to begin with is biting AA in the giblets now.

I would imagine that Debtors are allowed to pay that from the $4-odd billion that they're using for operations and DIP.

When Colgan filed, like 70% of the IAH MX staff walked off the job. What do you think happened to MX reliability?

Not really.

Umm... Yes really.

The DAI and NEF lists for each airframe get longer and longer every week because things like seat cushions and carpet rips no longer can be covered. Tires that once were replaced because they were "a little worn" are now good until they show more than 12 inches of cord. Pretty much any MEL that can be extended will be. Could not duplicate on the ground means Ops Check Good instead of "we'll keep looking".

It's a mess.

Umm... Yes really.

The DAI and NEF lists for each airframe get longer and longer every week because things like seat cushions and carpet rips no longer can be covered. Tires that once were replaced because they were "a little worn" are now good until they show more than 12 inches of cord. Pretty much any MEL that can be extended will be. Could not duplicate on the ground means Ops Check Good instead of "we'll keep looking".

It's a mess.

I'm not disputing that. What I'm disputing is that the increase in write-ups can be accounted for purely by such issues. We destroy our credibility by pretending that it can be.

Umm... Yes really.

It's a mess.

Absolutely.

And what people forget is that the Fed's put you on "Distressed Carrier Status" and they're on your crap like a vagrant on a dropped hot dog... or a Juggalo on a bath salt.

Very often I had a fed on the jumpseat poring over the books every two or three legs and they. Were. Thorough.

The safety at an airline pre-bankruptcy and one that is presently IN bankruptcy are completely different. I think we have to stop pulling the wool over the general publics eyes with expectations that corners aren't getting cut in BK.

They are. Big time.

I would imagine that Debtors are allowed to pay that from the $4-odd billion that they're using for operations and DIP.

Yes, Not Really at all, AMR is sitting on a 4+ billion in cash, the bankruptcy protection was to force the restructuring of the labor contracts. They're not shorting Mx due to lack of funds.

Yes, Not Really at all, AMR is sitting on a 4+ billion in cash, the bankruptcy protection was to force the restructuring of the labor contracts. They're not shorting Mx due to lack of funds.
You_Don't_Say.jpg

Without sifting through the court documents, I'm pretty sure that Debtors are authorized to pay operating expenses right now. Maintenance is an operating expense near as I know.

(not a bankruptcy attorney)

Back