Two unlucky, but very lucky aircraft

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/1...ll-plane-down-in-ariz-after-mid-air-collision

19749952_BG1.jpg

19749952_BG2.jpg

Small plane down in Ariz. after mid-air collision

CHANDLER, Ariz. (AP) -- Authorities say two small planes collided in mid-air over Arizona, but the pilots managed to safely land both aircrafts and there are no reported injuries.

A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman says the pilot of a Piper PA28 reported he landed safely at Gila River Memorial Airport after the collision around 2 p.m. Friday.

The FAA says the pilot identified the other aircraft as a Piper Cherokee and authorities reported that plane went down about 13 miles southeast of the Chandler Municipal Airport. But FAA spokesman Ian Gregor says the other aircraft landed safely at a vehicle test track.

Gregor says there were no reported injuries to anyone aboard either plane.

Details on how the mid-air crash occurred aren't immediately available and the names of the two pilots haven't been released.

I know the girl sitting on the wing in the top picture, she's shaken but ok and relieved that everybody made it down safe. What a scary day.

That Cherokee wing is insanely tough considering what it's made of. I just saw a picture the other day of 6 that hit a tree in bad weather and limped back to base with the wing looking about like that second plane there.

Glad they are ok. That is some busy airspace, with multiple "practice area" freqs, I'm kinda surprised it doesn't happen more often.

whenever I head down south, even with the AFTW guide, people call out stuff I have NO idea where it is... the FAA really needs to update the phoenix sectional. Basically anything on the TAC with a vfr reporting point flag is not used by anybody, and anything you cannot locate on the sectional is what everybody uses ;)

woah! I'm taking a checkout flight at SDL on Sunday... is it really that busy here? I noticed that its always CAVU though..

whenever I head down south, even with the AFTW guide, people call out stuff I have NO idea where it is... the FAA really needs to update the phoenix sectional. Basically anything on the TAC with a vfr reporting point flag is not used by anybody, and anything you cannot locate on the sectional is what everybody uses ;)

Here in SoFlo, people either don't report, report the wrong position, or report it in Spanish/other language. Very rarely do I hear an accurate traffic report.

Basically anything on the TAC with a vfr reporting point flag is not used by anybody, and anything you cannot locate on the sectional is what everybody uses ;)

I regularly use the standard VFR points, as they've been the same ones Ive used for decades there. But yes, some people don't. I was just beating up the 4R pattern at KCHD the other day in the C550, and it was fairly busy. I still remember that place as a single runway, uncontrolled field.

Man, if that was me, I'd be off camera shaking the poop out of my pants.

You remember the midair at PRC 20 years ago with the two 172s, where one 172 landed, and the other forced landed.

Both planes were stuck together for about 10 seconds or, when the left main wheel of one, went through the front windscreen of the other and smacked the CFI on her forehead. The wheel then began smashing up the instrument panel of that plane, until movement of the planes made the wheel and strut exit out of the second planes cockpit the same way it came in. Both planes separated, with one landing controlled, and the other making a forced landing short of the runway.

You remember the midair at PRC 20 years ago with the two 172s, where one 172 landed, and the other forced landed.

Both planes were stuck together for about 10 seconds or, when the left main wheel of one, went through the front windscreen of the other and smacked the CFI on her forehead. The wheel then began smashing up the instrument panel of that plane, until movement of the planes made the wheel and strut exit out of the second planes cockpit the same way it came in. Both planes separated, with one landing controlled, and the other making a forced landing short of the runway.

Jesus, the first fatal accident at UND was similiar to that, problem was aircraft underneath's prop went right through the other airplane's cockpit. I just posted about missing flight instructing in South Florida, but mid-airs were even more scarier than the thunderstorms for me. Especially when I think about all the close calls over the years...

Sure do! Wasn't one of the pilots "Ted" of "The Ted Sled" notoriety?

Back