Cessna 402C training material

TFaudree_ERAU

Mashin' dem buttons
Going to be flying one for the next month or so. Anyone have training documents in electronic format? I know it's a simple airplane, but just want to get an idea of the systems and flows.

Don't have anything handy anymore, sorry. Neat airplane, though. Very capable for what it does.

Proper starting procedure in a big turbo piston twin under almost all conditions is prime it until there's gas coming out of the cowling. Throttles open mixture cutoff, mags on, start. It always works, hot or super cold.

Proper starting procedure in a big turbo piston twin under almost all conditions is prime it until there's gas coming out of the cowling. Throttles open mixture cutoff, mags on, start. It always works, hot or super cold.

I don't recall ever starting the 402C in that manner. If it didn't start with a ~2 second prime, I would clear the motor with the above procedure. Been over 2 years, but I've started that thing enough to remember... :)

That's how you get a pa31 started if the normal procedure doesn't work... because that one will. Different engines though. TIO-540 vs TSIO-520 I think?

I recall throttle full, mixture idle/cutoff, mags off. Dry motor for 5-6 turns, mixture rich, throttle 1/4", prime and start as normal.
Guy that checked me out in it tonight had me go full throttle, mixtures cut-off, and then run the aux pump on high for 45 seconds, with a normal start to follow. It didn't work either of the three times I tried.

Guy that checked me out in it tonight had me go full throttle, mixtures cut-off, and then run the aux pump on high for 45 seconds, with a normal start to follow. It didn't work either of the three times I tried.

Yeah strange, never heard of that one. Try motoring with the mags off next time.

And don't feel bad about the landing...I bounced my last one in it before I left. ;)

Works on the 340 except not until fuel is running out but close to it.

Again, not a good method in the 402C. It might work, but it's hard on the engines. Be nice to your engines. :)

Motoring with the mags off... sounds retarded. Sorry, but if you need to do that, then something is wrong in the first place. What are you accomplishing besides wearing on the battery and starter?

That's how you get a pa31 started if the normal procedure doesn't work... because that one will. Different engines though. TIO-540 vs TSIO-520 I think?
Different manufacturer on top of that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

What are you doing on TIO540s that you need to prime them hot? In my limited experience, if the engine has been run at all recently cracking the throttles open and cranking fires em right up. Priming a hot engine almost always just means you have to crank it longer to get the extra fuel through and/or open the throttle way wide which results in a less than graceful rev when the engine finally does catch.

Fuel vaporizes in the lines and the priming purges the vapor. With TIO-540s hot just firewall the throttle and mixture then prime until fuel pressure stabilizes and no longer (3 sec). Mixture idle cutoff, throttle wide open, crank. As soon as it fires, mixture goes in half way & bring the throttle back. This has never failed me from starting anything hot from an IO-360 to a TIO-540.... It even works on Continentals.

If you flood it. Turning the engine over with the throttles open, mixtures idle cutoff & mags off will draw more air into the cylinders without introducing more fuel. This will dry the cylinders & plugs out. Fumes burn not liquid fuel. Unlike cold engines, hot engines want to be lean to start. For a cold piston engine think fuel. For a hot piston engine think air.

Back