Radio FAIL

comstsa

As a CFI I'm always trying to address the problem of teaching students how to correctly communicate with ATC. I'm a big believer in learning from other's mistakes, so I thought about starting a thread where everyone can edjucate others on what NOT to do based on personal experiences. For instance, once I had a controller ask me to "state my flight conditions". I proceeded to tell him about the light chop turbulence and wind strength and direction and everything else when all he wanted to know was whether or not I was VMC or IMC. I was glad to be handed off to a different controller shortly after.
Anyway this may have been done before but I'd appreciate some real life examples. Thanks

If you're going to complain to another pilot over an air to air frequency about horrible ATC vectors, a speed restriction, or whatever else may involve ATC, make sure you're transmitting on the number 2 radio vs. the one you're talking with ATC on.

If you're going to complain to another pilot over an air to air frequency about horrible ATC vectors, a speed restriction, or whatever else may involve ATC, make sure you're transmitting on the number 2 radio vs. the one you're talking with ATC on.
What? You think that was an accident?
It's called plausible deniability......

Say "With you" & Fish Finder alot...ATC gets all tingly in their pants when you do that...Make sure to properly enunciate the word November before your tail number too.

If you're going to blast "Dude looks like a lady" over the PA in New Orleans as the flight attendant is cleaning up the plane after the pax have left, make sure you're not in fact accidentally transmitting the song over ops where the manly-looking transvestite is listening.

It's a long story. If you're interested, click here.

If you're going to blast "Dude looks like a lady" over the PA in New Orleans as the flight attendant is cleaning up the plane after the pax have left, make sure you're not in fact accidentally transmitting the song over ops where the manly-looking transvestite is listening.

That made my day...thank you.

As a CFI I'm always trying to address the problem of teaching students how to correctly communicate with ATC. I'm a big believer in learning from other's mistakes, so I thought about starting a thread where everyone can edjucate others on what NOT to do based on personal experiences. For instance, once I had a controller ask me to "state my flight conditions". I proceeded to tell him about the light chop turbulence and wind strength and direction and everything else when all he wanted to know was whether or not I was VMC or IMC. I was glad to be handed off to a different controller shortly after.
Anyway this may have been done before but I'd appreciate some real life examples. Thanks

Believe it or not I would say it depends on situation. I get asked the same question when picking my way around storms. Ice and turbulence is what people will care about that follow me in such a situation. Especially if they are carrying passengers.

It has been a long time since I laughed so loud that I had to apologize to other customers sitting at a bar.
Thank You.

OK, I know it's been posted a bazillionty times, but I cannot resist...this Southwest pilot knows how to own the radio.

Mods will probably delete it and ban me forever because there is naughty language in it though, so nice knowing you all.

< no ban, just link goes bye-bye. :) SteveC >

Good read. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure that's not the worst "Jimmy Hoffa" has seen or heard...

OK, I know it's been posted a bazillionty times, but I cannot resist...this Southwest pilot knows how to own the radio.

Mods will probably delete it and ban me forever because there is naughty language in it though, so nice knowing you all.

< no ban, just link goes bye-bye. :) SteveC >

Heh. This is the first time I've listened to it.

Can you imagine the sheer panic on that CAs face (and probably coursing through his bloodstream) when he realized he was transmitting?

Can you imagine the sheer panic on that CAs face (and probably coursing through his bloodstream) when he realized he was transmitting?

You can bet that the FO had radio duty for the next few days, just to be sure nobody would recognize CA's voice, LOL.

I thought this thread would be about ...

49702.jpg

Ok, I don't really get all the hate for the CAP. I mean I can understand giving them a good ribbing for rocking the flight suit in a Cessna, but they serve a valid purpose...If I had the free time, I'd honestly look at getting hooked up with them. A chance to help your community, mentor young kids, what's to hate?

Ok, I don't really get all the hate for the CAP. I mean I can understand giving them a good ribbing for rocking the flight suit in a Cessna, but they serve a valid purpose...If I had the free time, I'd honestly look at getting hooked up with them. A chance to help your community, mentor young kids, what's to hate?

I'm a proponent of CAP and plan to join some day when I can find the time to actually contribute, I think it's a great way for pilots to give something back to the community through SAR and related work, and/or to encourage and mentor youngsters who have an interest in their cadet program. But some of their guys just really earn their dufus image. I think it comes from 20-year retired military pilots who still think they are hot but can't enter a local traffic pattern in a Skylane without messing up the flow and cutting some other plane off, or needing a vector read to them 3 times by Approach for simple traffic separation. Both are things I've seen in the past 6 months. Now, granted, there are plenty of other dufus pilots doing the same thing every day who go pretty much unremembered, but when you're in an official CAP plane with your fancy uniform, and your CAP call sign, and all your flight release paperwork... I think the standard gets set a little higher, but the professionalism just isn't there to match expectations... so it stands out.

I'm a proponent of CAP and plan to join some day when I can find the time to actually contribute, I think it's a great way for pilots to give something back to the community through SAR and related work, and/or to encourage and mentor youngsters who have an interest in their cadet program. But some of their guys just really earn their dufus image. I think it comes from 20-year retired military pilots who still think they are hot but can't enter a local traffic pattern in a Skylane without messing up the flow and cutting some other plane off, or needing a vector read to them 3 times by Approach for simple traffic separation. Both are things I've seen in the past 6 months. Now, granted, there are plenty of other dufus pilots doing the same thing every day who go pretty much unremembered, but when you're in an official CAP plane with your fancy uniform, and your CAP call sign, and all your flight release paperwork... I think the standard gets set a little higher, but the professionalism just isn't there to match expectations... so it stands out.
My two favorite ...

cust-captalicea.jpg

"Oh crap, I forgot my 9mm in the car - let me go back ..."

flyingdoggie.jpg

"It puts the lotion on its body..."

My ribbing was focused on their failure to use standard radio announcements. I didn't even touch the Jerry Sandusky type stuff you mention.

I was a member of CAP from 2004-2006 when I was an active flight instructor. I felt like a total d-bag when I put on that military style uniform with my captains bars, and I didn't earn it from actually serving in the Air Force. So I ditched the uniform for the polo shirt and only taught some ground school and helped the cadets when I could. When I got hired at Piedmont, I left CAP all together.

I think it's an excellent organization for kids though.

Back