$100 user fee

AOPA is always just baiting you to sign up. Worthless, money-wasting organization.

What do they charge, $35/year?

I get $10 off something like Sun 'N Fun
Probably take a knowledge test a year for so - another $10 saved
Let's say I get $10 worth of lobbying for GA in DC on my behalf (the reason they exist)
And a free hat or bag every so often.
Plus a magazine I don't read - probably worth it to some people.

Not a total waste of money, and there is some useful info on their website.

My 40% pay raise over the past two years belies your claim that ALPA doesn't "accomplish anything."

And ALPA created the merger between ATN and SWA how exactly?

I'm not knocking the organization as a whole, but I don't see how they can take credit for that one.

And ALPA created the merger between ATN and SWA how exactly?

I'm not knocking the organization as a whole, but I don't see how they can take credit for that one.

We haven't gotten the SWA contract yet. Doesn't happen until 2015. Our pay raises were negotiated with AirTran for our own CBA. Had nothing to do with SWA.

And when was the last time you flew a general aviation airplane?

Well, a mad dog is more or less the Cessna of the skies. And Cessnas are known as general aviation airplanes, I would say five years? Perhaps six? :)

Edit for more:

I grew up when I would literally ride my bike down to the airfield, look at a handful of planes that were for sale that were, at the time, affordably priced that anyone with a middle class income could probably afford to buy or at least form a partnership to do so.

Nowadays, even renting an aircraft is cost prohibitive.

Even though I haven't flown GA for 12 years, way too damned long, I don't want to do the typical airline pilot thing of "I'm onboard the professional boat now, pull up the rope" on GA. One day I would like to own an aircraft, perhaps fly it around VFR, chase a few cows and land on a dirt strip some where to tool around for a few hours before flying back.

AOPA is probably the only institution besides the EAA that's still looking out for the gentleman aircraft owner.

Are they perfect? Nope.

Do they do some annoying things from time to time, Y-E-S!!!! But so does my cat.

Back