Skywest to fly for Airtran

But that has nothing to do with your job being a non-entry level job either.

I think one could successful argue that United Airlines isn't an entry level job yet their pay has been cut by 50%, 60% if you include inflation, and their pensions were taken.

Same goes for US Air.

Same goes for Delta.

Same goes for Continental.

Sames goes for American, minus the pension comment.

But that has nothing to do with your job being a non-entry level job either.

I think one could successful argue that United Airlines isn't an entry level job yet their pay has been cut by 50%, 60% if you include inflation, and their pensions were taken.

Same goes for US Air.

Same goes for Delta.

Same goes for Continental.

Sames goes for American, minus the pension comment.

My segment of the industry basically has only two players and we successfully drove away the third who tried to be the low cost alternative (DHL). This duopoly allows us the pay and benefits we enjoy. Unfortunately, for the pax carriers there is too much capacity and too much competition.

Unfortunately, for the pax carriers there is too much capacity and too much competition.

Agreed on that point. That rings true at both the majors and the regionals. Personally, I think both A300F4 and wheelsup are correct in their assessment of our pay and benefit issues. It's not only because we're viewed "entry level," but also because we have no leverage. It's not just one reason, but rather a combination of reasons that all continue to put downward pressure on our compensation.

My segment of the industry basically has only two players and we successfully drove away the third who tried to be the low cost alternative (DHL). This duopoly allows us the pay and benefits we enjoy. Unfortunately, for the pax carriers there is too much capacity and too much competition.
How was the pay and benefits when you started? How long ago?

I remember back in the day (circa 2006) when regionals WEREN'T entry level jobs. You actually had to have SOME sort of experience either towing banners, CFIing, survey work etc to get hired at a regional, even.....

It seems to me that this codeshare means SkyWest will ,in effect, have their own branded airline, sans reservation system. The SkyWest name will be all over the aircraft and cabin. When the customer purchases the ticket on AirTrans website they can clearly see that their flight is on "SkyWest Airlines" and not "AirTranny Express." SkyWest purchases the fuel, schedules the flights, manages the seat inventory, sets the price, etc...

My segment of the industry basically has only two players and we successfully drove away the third who tried to be the low cost alternative (DHL).

Who is we? UPS?

How was the pay and benefits when you started? How long ago?

1985 flying canceled checks, PA-60 Aerostar, $23,000/yr. Decent benefits.

...and that was for UPS itself?

OK when did you start at UPS?

Well, this is good news that we have found homes for ALL the midwest planes but it isn't that big of a deal. I would have been happier if skywest had gotten those 14 rjs for UAL rather than asa.

Well, this is good news that we have found homes for ALL the midwest planes but it isn't that big of a deal. I would have been happier if skyest had gotten those 14 rjs for UAL rather than asa.

As a SkyWest pilot, I'd like to say that I'm happy that ASA was able to get that flying to prevent any further furloughs.

Well, this is good news that we have found homes for ALL the midwest planes but it isn't that big of a deal. I would have been happier if skywest had gotten those 14 rjs for UAL rather than asa.

Keep looking out for #1 only and let me know how that goes for you.

My job pays better than yours because mine is not an entry level job.

Yeah I would say, "that isn't the case either," but Wheelsup has been doing a great job so far.

Anyhow, it's interesting to watch you run yourself in circles. You've got some great insight into some things, but obviously not into why things are the way they are on the regional level.

Yeah I would say, "that isn't the case either," but Wheelsup has been doing a great job so far.

Anyhow, it's interesting to watch you run yourself in circles. You've got some great insight into some things, but obviously not into why things are the way they are on the regional level.

Cliffnotes-wise, why are things how they are at the regional level then, if not a supply/demand type issue?

RFP's and whipsawing results in little leverage to raise wages significantly.

This seems much more logical to me MikeD.

A-300F4-622R has proven to be a very wise man (he's got only 104 posts and they are, nearly all, exacting and lucid) and theres a lot of things I've seen him say that have educated me and he is very good at expressing himself. I'm just lost when he talks on this thread, maybe I'm just not smart enough to see it on his level.

With respect to A-300F4-622R, it seems like he's just ignoring Wheels points when Wheelsup is asking great questions about his hypothesis. It's disconcerting to me.

Looking out for other pilots will help you not be a large d-bag and maybe be part of the solution instead of the problem. There is a world outside of your own and it doesn't revolve around you.

Back