Where do people go after flying a C208

hotice

Where do people get jobs after flying for a FEDEX feeder in a Caravan with gobs of single engine turbine time?

Is this the beginning of a joke?

The 208 pilots I've met used the 208 as a stepping stone to great careers.

I thought this was going to be a poll. I was going to vote for the bar. That's where I go after flying just about any type of plane.

Where do people get jobs after flying for a FEDEX feeder in a Caravan with gobs of single engine turbine time?

It depends. Some guys enjoyed the job so much, they stayed doing that. Other guys moved up normally to anything else.

CFI in a 172 to 1200TT.

135 freight in a 208 for about 1-2 years and 1000 TPIC.

Regionals, 135 Pax, jet 135 freight for 2-3 years for the multi/jet time.

Apply at SWA.

Many people have done it.

The Caravan is a great plane to earn some real world experiance in what is really a simple airplane. Vs learning to fly a jet while also learning how real world schedulaled IFR ops works.

I'd hire a feeder pilot in a heartbeat, if I were a hiring official and they had the right attitude. The most important things to me would be:

1. Attitude
2. Trainability
3. Attitude

The only reason I could think to be concerned about having a minimum amount of twin time or total time would be for insurance or an aircraft or operation that definitely needs a very experienced multiengine pilot. There are a ton of different types of flying jobs out there with people that have different preferences. Some only want the most experienced. Some only want the one who fits in the best and can be trained. It all depends. I've found that not meeting mins has failed to get me in the door with people who don't know me from "Adam". If we're aquainted and I meet insurance, mins weren't as important.

A lot of corporate or other companies may like to see your turbine time. It helped me get my current job flying the pilatus/tbm. A little bit quicker than the van too I may add.

A little bit quicker than the van too I may add.

She's a great and versatile plane to fly God bless 'er, but I like to equate flying a van through a headwind at company cruise settings to driving through a construction zone during rush hour in Philly.

Sometimes when ATC vectors another 'faster-moving' aircraft in front of you, you can actually feel yourself reaching for the missing horn on the yoke. :D

I went from the van to an Aero Commander.

Like some other said, I used it as a stepping stone in my career progression.

I went from flying the Van to the Lear 60...YMMV. I also built up time in the Barons and 'Jo's, so I had about 500 ME time when hired into the 60.

I was just gonna say, I bet Stone Cold has some ideas on this subject. How you been?
Doing good..."living the dream"!! :D I'm headed out to Germany here in a few hours and thought I'd see what was new with JC. How's life treating you? Did I read you were talking about a furlough? Where are you at now, back in the Ditch? Last I heard you went back to the flight school...

Most of the "Air Spur" guys I run into are retired airline or military. And they are great folks with tons of experience and make nearly twice as much money flying the van.

Is this the beginning of a joke?

The 208 pilots I've met used the 208 as a stepping stone to great careers.

No it is not a joke. I am flying a part 135 job now. I was just wondering if I took a van job if it would be a step back. I have 2100+ TT, 600+ multi and 500+ turbine time. 0 pic turbine. If I stay where I am at, in a year or so they may type me in a metro. van jobs pay the same as i make here.

No it is not a joke. I am flying a part 135 job now. I was just wondering if I took a van job if it would be a step back. I have 2100+ TT, 600+ multi and 500+ turbine time. 0 pic turbine. If I stay where I am at, in a year or so they may type me in a metro. van jobs pay the same as i make here.

It all depends. I flew the Van, and it certainly didn't hold up any career progression for me or wasn't dead end.

I would think that the potential 1000 hours of PIC turbine will benefit you more over the next year, over SIC ME Turbine. Given your past experience in a crew environment that eliminates any concerns about no crew experience, and the PIC responsibility will look good also. Just my opinion.

Back