Where do people go after flying a C208

If I read you correctly, you're flying PIC in a multi piston now, and would be flying PIC in a multi turbine in a year. All other cosiderations aside (the important ones like location, QOL, etc), if the pay is the same, I would hang out where you are, unless you think the van operator would also afford you multi turbine pic in the same timeframe. It's my impression (just an impression, I don't know, I am not on a hiring board, etc etc) that van time is not viewed as "real" turbine PIC. Not saying that's right or wrong, just what I've heard. On the other hand if the van job is a lot better, I'd still be tempted, especially if it's one of those cakewalk hour out hour back sleep all day feeder routes...

LOL! That sounds like something George W. would say... haha
Yeah, I know my spelling sucks. I do the best I can, but I don't always catch every word.

My point was:

Flying IFR recreationly or even instructing where you can just wait out the storms, fog, ect. is very different than flying on a defined scheduale where you are paid to get the job done in spite of the weather.

It's my impression (just an impression, I don't know, I am not on a hiring board, etc etc) that van time is not viewed as "real" turbine PIC.
Southwest counts it as "real" turbine PIC. Plenty of peeps there got their start in the van, which helped them with their Turbine Time.

It's my impression (just an impression, I don't know, I am not on a hiring board, etc etc) that van time is not viewed as "real" turbine PIC. Not saying that's right or wrong, just what I've heard.

I've been told/heard the same. I can see it, a Van is a slow airplane, has a hershey bar wing and is not complex. there is a very big difference between that and flying a multi crew jet. But I don't think having Van time has ever really held anyone back.

I've been told/heard the same. I can see it, a Van is a slow airplane, has a hershey bar wing and is not complex. there is a very big difference between that and flying a multi crew jet. But I don't think having Van time has ever really held anyone back.

You may not be able to prove that you can remember to put a gear down, but with enough van time in the North you could prove that you know how to handle weather and you can figure out how to operate a turbine engine. That's plenty for some operators. It can be all about the type of operation you're applying for.

I fly a straight wing, single pilot twin turbofan made by Cessna. Is my only saving grace that the gear go up and down?

-mini

You may not be able to prove that you can remember to put a gear down, but with enough van time in the North you could prove that you know how to handle weather and you can figure out how to operate a turbine engine. That's plenty for some operators. It can be all about the type of operation you're applying for.

i would think the high speed aerodynamics associated with flying a jet has more to do with it then remembering to drop the gear.

On a side note, Ive heard the same thing about van time "not counting," but this is always from people that have never flown the caravan, much less that have gone out and applied for a job with caravan time. Everyone that i know personally that has flown the caravan has never had their turbine looked down on by an employer, and they've all done pretty well. I'll take first hand info any day rather than some kid comin up to me and sayin "lolz ur gear dont get down, wtf you wastin your time for dude?"

I think the only reason most corporate places require turbine time in the first place is for insurance requirements. AFAIK theres no insurance company out there that doesn't accept van time as turbine time.

On a side note, Ive heard the same thing about van time "not counting," but this is always from people that have never flown the caravan, much less that have gone out and applied for a job with caravan time.
I'd be willing to bet 99% of them aren't in a position to make a decision on hiring either.

-mini

The majority of people flying specifically Fedex freight in a Caravan want to do it for life. Most of them have a life at an outstation that is only serviced by a 'Van and a UPS feeder of some form and realize that if they want to continue living there, they most likely have one of the best flying jobs with the best schedules that does not involve a commute. The majority of the Caravan pilots (in the midwest at least) seem to be quite content with their pay and QOL and have little desire to move into bigger and faster airplanes. Personally, I don't understand why people want to fly a Caravan for life, but I'm used to the Metroliner and like being able to climb out of the ice and climb high enough to see the thunderstorms. That may be just me though.

Back