UA jumpseat no more?

stultus

I was in Europe last month--tried to js on UA in the cabin (omc in ua speak) and was told at the check-in counter that they weren't able to list jumpseaters any more. After about 1/2 an hour of trying I gave up--luckily I had a zed ticket that got me home on UA. I had js'ed out of this station before without problem, so I figured this was an isolated incident. However I'm in Asia now and was denied the jumpseat out of 2 different stations all of the gate agents I talked to were very clear in stating that UA does not allow jumpseaters in the cabin at all anymore (at least on intl flts.) even if the plane is empty, you have to use a pass or you're not getting on. Can anyone confirm this?

I never trusted them to begin with though they have been nice to me as an international jumpseater.

I think what they told you is wrong. I was just on NRT-BKK last month.

You need to list on the phone, 1-800-UAL-LIST.

Once you are listed for the flight as an OMC the agent can do what they need to do, it seems.

I've never used United before. Is that the number to list domestic as well? I tried a different number I had for them once, was a main reservation line. They had no idea how to help me.

I was in Europe last month--tried to js on UA in the cabin (omc in ua speak) and was told at the check-in counter that they weren't able to list jumpseaters any more. After about 1/2 an hour of trying I gave up--luckily I had a zed ticket that got me home on UA. I had js'ed out of this station before without problem, so I figured this was an isolated incident. However I'm in Asia now and was denied the jumpseat out of 2 different stations all of the gate agents I talked to were very clear in stating that UA does not allow jumpseaters in the cabin at all anymore (at least on intl flts.) even if the plane is empty, you have to use a pass or you're not getting on. Can anyone confirm this?

I jumpseated IAD-DXB UA B777 in April, paid $30USD for taxes.

Woah, WHAT? Umm...as a gate agent who deals with United's passangers everyday at an airline that flies from SFO to 3 cities in Canada, you think they'd tell us this.

First I heard now if you're OMC and theres seats in the back, you pay ID90 but if the back is full, you can ride up front for free. A VX guy jumpseated to YYJ last week on a flight I was working, I gave him a seat in the back, the ID90 is only on mainline as far as I've been told not on Skywest/Mesa/Shuttle America, ect, you all still ride free on us. I've heard nothing saying I can't do that. And yes, we can list you at the gate unless theres something weird in the system at Asian stations.

Is YYJ not "international"? You pay taxes, you need a passport, if you can do it to Canada, why not HKG? United never makes sense to me.

First I heard now if you're OMC and theres seats in the back, you pay ID90 but if the back is full, you can ride up front for free. A VX guy jumpseated to YYJ last week on a flight I was working, I gave him a seat in the back, the ID90 is only on mainline as far as I've been told not on Skywest/Mesa/Shuttle America, ect, you all still ride free on us

So you are saying that we are not allowed OMC on UA mainline anymore unless the flight is full, and not at all on int'l flights? Why don't they let us know in advance if this is really the case?

UA used to be great to jumpseat on!

I just jumpseted out of SYD today on UA and had no problems. The contract agents said that it was fairly common to have jumpseaters out of there. Had to pay the taxes once they knew if I was going to get on. No word on a charge for jumpseats and no one at UA mentioned it.

As far as listing in advance goes, OMC jumpseaters can only be listed the day of departure however if you call UAL LIST they will list you and put it in the comments. Its easy for the agent to list you on the flight though. Its an option when making a listing in fastair.

I had extreme difficulty getting listed out of Tokyo and Singapore. Going from Tokyo to Singapore I sat at the customer service counter for 30 minutes and after many phone calls in Japanese the guy got me listed. Coming back from Singapore they couldnt figure it out and had almost all the gate agents at the computer, same goes for leaving Tokyo. Luckily I have UA benefits so I just went the non rev route to get home.

I think it has alot to do with the agent knowing how to do it. Its clearly possible considering the guy did it in Tokyo to Singapore.

Woah, WHAT? Umm...as a gate agent who deals with United's passangers everyday at an airline that flies from SFO to 3 cities in Canada, you think they'd tell us this.

First I heard now if you're OMC and theres seats in the back, you pay ID90 but if the back is full, you can ride up front for free. A VX guy jumpseated to YYJ last week on a flight I was working, I gave him a seat in the back, the ID90 is only on mainline as far as I've been told not on Skywest/Mesa/Shuttle America, ect, you all still ride free on us. I've heard nothing saying I can't do that. And yes, we can list you at the gate unless theres something weird in the system at Asian stations.

Is YYJ not "international"? You pay taxes, you need a passport, if you can do it to Canada, why not HKG? United never makes sense to me.

I did a SFO-YYJ standup last month on the 70. That was a fun trip. Although the whole customs tango is annoying.

I had extreme difficulty getting listed out of Tokyo and Singapore. Going from Tokyo to Singapore I sat at the customer service counter for 30 minutes and after many phone calls in Japanese the guy got me listed. Coming back from Singapore they couldnt figure it out and had almost all the gate agents at the computer, same goes for leaving Tokyo. Luckily I have UA benefits so I just went the non rev route to get home.

I think it has alot to do with the agent knowing how to do it. Its clearly possible considering the guy did it in Tokyo to Singapore.

It cannot be emphasized enough, how much listing in advance as an OMC on 1-800-UAL-LIST makes the whole thing easier!

Got a reply back from our jumpseat guys who got a reply from UA. Apparently UA is now denying all international jumpseat requests from UAX carriers for the time being until a "computer issue" is resolved. So a Mesaba guy can go but not Skywest. So much for captains authority!

Maybe I wasn't clear. A UAX carrier cannot now jumpseat internationally, a pilot from any other carrier can.

Got a reply back from our jumpseat guys who got a reply from UA. Apparently UA is now denying all international jumpseat requests from UAX carriers for the time being until a "computer issue" is resolved. So a Mesaba guy can go but not Skywest. So much for captains authority!

Who do you work for? UAX pilots can no longer jumpseat in the cabin. We may only jumpseat in the actual when there are no cabin seats available. To sit in the cabin, you must pay your yearly Skynet activation fee or purchase a ZED/ID90 whatever. UAL pilots are still free to do whatever they want on OUR planes for free.

THANK YOU UNITED! We love you so much!

Maybe I wasn't clear. A UAX carrier cannot now jumpseat internationally, a pilot from any other carrier can.

Why would that affect you??

Who do you work for? UAX pilots can no longer jumpseat in the cabin. We may only jumpseat in the actual when there are no cabin seats available. To sit in the cabin, you must pay your yearly Skynet activation fee or purchase a ZED/ID90 whatever. UAL pilots are still free to do whatever they want on OUR planes for free.

THANK YOU UNITED! We love you so much!

Welcome to the club. We are the same way on Delta.

Back