Chance of going UAVs

comstsa

I'm kind of torn between AD and the reserves and it was brought to my attention that the Airforce is handing out alot of UAVs/predator slots, something I'm not at all interested in. Does anyone know the probability of me landing an actual flying slot after UPT in AD? I'm pretty confident in myself but I dont know if I can graduate in the top 2 of a 100 person class in order to make a pilot slot. I would hate to get stuck with UAVs, is there anyway to insure that does not happen? Thanks to the guys who have been answering my questions over the last few months, very helpful.

I'm kind of torn between AD and the reserves and it was brought to my attention that the Airforce is handing out alot of UAVs/predator slots, something I'm not at all interested in. Does anyone know the probability of me landing an actual flying slot after UPT in AD? I'm pretty confident in myself but I dont know if I can graduate in the top 2 of a 100 person class in order to make a pilot slot. I would hate to get stuck with UAVs, is there anyway to insure that does not happen? Thanks to the guys who have been answering my questions over the last few months, very helpful.

IF you don't get one out of UPT, you'll likely get one later chances are.......

IT all depends. Depends on what's needed at that particular point in time when you would be there. No one can really predict.

In the Navy --- 0% get UAVs, we let computers and the computer masters take care of that.

When I was at API, all the Air Force guys were worried about that scenario.

In the Navy --- 0% get UAVs, we let computers and the computer masters take care of that.

There's a difference between what people get when graduating initial pilot training, and what will happen over the course of that guy's 10-year career.

The USN is not far behind the USAF with respect to UAVs.

Depends on what track you go for phase 3. Out of 6 guys in 38s, 1 is going to get a UAV, and out of say 15 dudes in t-1s, 1 is going to get a UAV

When I was at API, all the Air Force guys were worried about that scenario.

Word is that some P-3 dudes are getting tasked with this.....

Word is that some P-3 dudes are getting tasked with this.....

Really. Did not know that, sounded like every UAV we were getting was automated (RQ-8, BAMS, X-47). When the brass came to NASP for the NA Symposium, they made it sound like we weren't the Air Force and sending winged aviators to fly UAVs was waste of resources and training.

What are the details? Are they IA tours? Cause that wouldn't be that bad of an IA tour compared to some.

Out of 6 guys in 38s, 1 is going to get a UAV, and out of say 15 dudes in t-1s, 1 is going to get a UAV

So close. I thought you would select before you moved into anything other than T-6. Is the Air Force ever going get rid of that route for pilots and use somebody else...enlisted? Cause they would probably get a huge number of motivated applicants from that pool.

You should probably ask yourself the question "do I want to serve my country." Once you are in, it is no longer about you but rather about the mission and you should be ready and willing to do anything they ask of you including flying a UAV.

So close. I thought you would select before you moved into anything other than T-6. Is the Air Force ever going get rid of that route for pilots and use somebody else...enlisted? Cause they would probably get a huge number of motivated applicants from that pool.

They are doing tests now with it. I'd say within a year there will be a dedicated UAV track that doesn't involve UPT at all.

The USN is not far behind the USAF with respect to UAVs.

News to me. As an IP who just left primary flight training, not a single Navy/MC pilot is going UAV. Not going to happen anytime soon either. Same with advanced. I know a few guys who fly them but they took it as opposed to being voluntold.

You should probably ask yourself the question "do I want to serve my country." Once you are in, it is no longer about you but rather about the mission and you should be ready and willing to do anything they ask of you including flying a UAV.

So says the non military aviator :dunno:

News to me. As an IP who just left primary flight training, not a single Navy/MC pilot is going UAV. Not going to happen anytime soon either. Same with advanced. I know a few guys who fly them but they took it as opposed to being voluntold.

I didn't mean next week or next year.

I was more speaking within the scope of what a future naval aviator might face during the duration of his service as an aviator.

Does anyone know the probability of me landing an actual flying slot after UPT in AD?

No, that depends on you.

Did you get that off a bumper sticker? Sounds like somebody's been drinking the kool-aid. :D

What are the details? Are they IA tours? Cause that wouldn't be that bad of an IA tour compared to some.

Last I heard they were being training @ Beale AFB ~ 5-6 months ago "flying" the RQ-4N. Haven't heard much about it since then, but I can only imagine it must be either disassociated or IA.

I didn't mean next week or next year.

I was more speaking within the scope of what a future naval aviator might face during the duration of his service as an aviator.

Ah, you might be correct on that one. They are coming down the road.

Um? Yeah...You get what you get when you select, but that doesn't mean you have no choice (which comes from grades, not being a DB/willing to learn if you have prior flight time, and trying to stay off of the IP radar...knowing EPs verbatim also helps). Also probably knowing the detailer and his favorite beer will always help, especially if you are trying to get that really good set of orders into something else flying/non-flying.

Um? Yeah...You get what you get when you select, but that doesn't mean you have no choice (which comes from grades, not being a DB/willing to learn if you have prior flight time, and trying to stay off of the IP radar...knowing EPs verbatim also helps). Also probably knowing the detailer and his favorite beer will always help, especially if you are trying to get that really good set of orders into something else flying/non-flying.

I wouldn't bet on that detailer thing, friend or not. This comes from 16.5 years of experience :)

Although I agree that studying and being prepared for briefs/flights is a big help, a lot of primary/UPT is luck and timing. They say fate favors the prepared, and I think that applies here, but you just can't be in control of your destiny with any certainty. As for the detailer, I have never spoken to mine (I don't know if I even have one as a student) and things still worked out for me.

I hate when people make stupid comments like that. You're giving the service years of your life that you can't get back - you better be doing something you enjoy and in that have dedication, willingness to serve and pride.

It comes in that order. I haven't posted anything in a long time but that just pissed me off.

I hate when people make stupid comments like that. You're giving the service years of your life that you can't get back - you better be doing something you enjoy and in that have dedication, willingness to serve and pride.

It comes in that order. I haven't posted anything in a long time but that just pissed me off.

What I think he's getting at is how the military looks at you, in this case the AF. They're not hiring you to be a pilot, but an officer. In that realm, you're expected to take whatever assignment given you during your active duty service committment, flying or not. That's how they look at it. Sucks sometimes yes, but that's all I believe was being said. I agree you should be as happy as can be, but also don't roll the dice if you're not willing to pay out all possible outcomes vis-a-vis joining the military.

Remember:

There are no guarantees.
Life isn't fair.
Timing is everything

Back