Checkride Discontinuence

poser765

OK so I have student finishing a checkride he had a discontinuence on a couple of weeks ago. Do I need to make up a new 8710 and issue new endorsements? Never ran into this before, and just sort of didn't even think about it. Now it's the last minute and I am starting to panic a bit about it.

Thanks.

A letter of discontinuence and the 8710 are given back to the student. He then "re-presents" them to the examiner when he goes back.

DISCLAIMER. Found that on a faq for some indie flight instructor somewhere. Twas like the first google hit when I typed in "Does a student need a new 9710 for a discontinuence" so it's not the most official source.

However, the answer is correct.
Reassurance is good. Thanks. Kind of nervous for this guy. He got sort of bum deal. Flew up to the feds and did ground. The then cancelled because it "was to windy." Rescheduled, Before the checkride, mx was holding the plane because it only had 10 hours left on the 100 hour. So went to go get the logbooks the day before and realized in their looking at the 100 hour the forgot about the annual. Expired THE EXACT day of his ride. Rescheduled. Fed called to cancel...Rescheduled. So now it's tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

I should know this but I don't. How long are endorsements good for?

Unless the endorsement states it has an expiration then it usually doesn't. In the case of this sign off I don't think it expires but what does is the 3 hours in the last 60 days, maybe that is what he is referring to?

I'm not 100% clear on the question, so if I miss the mark, please let me know.

An endorsement is good forever (sort of). For example, a high performance, complex, high altitude, or tail wheel endorsement may be used fifty years after it is made. (Which, is certainly something to think about when putting pen to log book.)

An endorsement for a flight review is good for 24 calendar months. A solo endorsement is good for 90 days UNLESS (and I highly recommend this) a limitation is written into the endorsement.

I'm not 100% clear on the question, so if I miss the mark, please let me know.

An endorsement is good forever (sort of). For example, a high performance, complex, high altitude, or tail wheel endorsement may be used fifty years after it is made. (Which, is certainly something to think about when putting pen to log book.)

An endorsement for a flight review is good for 24 calendar months. A solo endorsement is good for 90 days UNLESS (and I highly recommend this) a limitation is written into the endorsement.
Ok gotcha...that was kind of what i thought you were getting at. No I'm just concerned with a recomendation for practical test.

I'm not 100% sure but as long as he has the 3 hours within the preceding 60 days you should be good. I had an LOD on my private checkride because of weather and I did NOT have to do another 8710.

I had an LOD on my private checkride because of weather and I did NOT have to do another 8710.

Yep. I just had an LOD for my CFI checkride with the feds and I didn't have to do a new 8710. The inspector just reminded me to bring the LOD. And the letter does state that it doesn't extend the expiration date on knowledge tests , etc.

Well I appreciate all the responses...turns out he had to wx cancel anyway. Starting to feel pretty bad for the dude.

"Does a student need a new 9710 for a discontinuence" so it's not the most official source.

9710?

This sounds like my commercial check ride. 1. fly to the field to meet examiner, did the oral get in the plane and the mag (key) switch breaks. 2. big front moves in and I'm still stuck at airport for the night on couch. Instructor flies other plane to the airport I'm at next morning. 3. I set up to meet the examiner that day at another airport chasing him all over and the weather moves in again for one more night on the some couch. I smelled like crap for the checkride an looked like it too. On the way back after ride the alternator goes out and was not able to transmit to the tower. What a weekend! :insane:

9710?

This sounds like my commercial check ride. 1. fly to the field to meet examiner, did the oral get in the plane and the mag (key) switch breaks. 2. big front moves in and I'm still stuck at airport for the night on couch. Instructor flies other plane to the airport I'm at next morning. 3. I set up to meet the examiner that day at another airport chasing him all over and the weather moves in again for one more night on the some couch. I smelled like crap for the checkride an looked like it too. On the way back after ride the alternator goes out and was not able to transmit to the tower. What a weekend! :insane:
Yeah not sure about the 9710 thing. Fat fingers. That's a crappy story. Pain in the butt. I'm scared my kid is going to very rapidly run into his 60th day...

Back