How to log solo time

AOPA has clarified that students pilots can log their solo time as PIC, but should it be logged as both SOLO and PIC?
What does AOPA have to do with it? 61.51 has said it pretty clearly since the 1997 FAR Part 61 revision.

==============================
61.51(e)(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the student pilot -
(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft or is performing the duties of pilot of command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember;​
(ii) Has a current solo flight endorsement as required under § 61.87 of this part; and​
(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.​
==============================

Yes you log both.

You will find as you pursue your certificates and ratings that the requirements for the private and commercial (and yes, you can look those up in part 61 also) include a certain amount of solo time and that all post-private certificates and rating require a certain amount of PIC time.

It's really only at the student pilot level that solo = PIC = solo.

He never said that was the "only" time you could log PIC.

-mini
:confused:

No he didn't. He said "you can log anytime you are sole occupant as PIC" and that's what I answered.

The topic is student pilots and a student pilot who does not meet the other requirements in 61.51(e)(4) may not log legit PIC if he's the sole occupant of the aircraft.

:confused:

No he didn't. He said "you can log anytime you are sole occupant as PIC" and that's what I answered.

The topic is student pilots and a student pilot who does not meet the other requirements in 61.51(e)(4) may not log legit PIC if he's the sole occupant of the aircraft.

Sorry, I assumed we weren't talking about an airship and that the solo endorsement and training for a certificate or rating were implied. :rolleyes:

-mini

Not really. 61.51(e)(4) has more conditions than just sole occupant for student pilots.

They don't need to say it for anyone else right? If you have a private pilot license and you are flying solo then you fall under the sole manipulator clause.

Sorry, I assumed we weren't talking about an airship and that the solo endorsement and training for a certificate or rating were implied. :rolleyes:

-mini
I wasn't talking about an airship either, but I was not making the assumption of a solo endorsement for the flight...

... and inviting the curious to read the two "sole occupant" pieces in 61.51 and compare them. Weirdly enough, a private pilot who is =not= rated, endorsed or trained in the aircraft may log PIC when the sole occupant.

You may find the difference a "rolleyes" event. Others might not.

Yes, if you're a private pilot you are not a student pilot.

What I was getting at is when can you be sole occupant but not log PIC? So the statement "can log PIC anytime your sole occupant..." earlier is completely true. Sure there are other stipulations for students, but the statement as is would be true. :p

What I was getting at is when can you be sole occupant but not log PIC?

A flight sim guy climbs the airport fence and finds the keys to a C152 under the seat and goes flying. This pilot fails these tests:

(ii) Has a current solo flight endorsement as required under § 61.87 of this part; and
(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.

A flight sim guy climbs the airport fence and finds the keys to a C152 under the seat and goes flying. This pilot fails these tests:

(ii) Has a current solo flight endorsement as required under § 61.87 of this part; and
(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.
OTOH, a private pilot, ASEL, who climbs the fence and finds the keys to a Baron under the seat and goes flying, may log PIC under 61.51(e)(1)(iii), although it's generally considered bad form to put evidence of a violation in one's logbook :D

Back