The people you meet

surreal1221

Today on an appointment I met a retired Delta Captain.

This gentlemen retired at 60 years in 2007. Following his retirement, he went to work for Kit Darby's AIR Inc. outfit. This gentlemen has a son who is now #13 from the bottom at ASA.

This gentlemen, during his time at Kit Darby's outfit, managed to provide career consultations to a number of his peers at the various other major/legacy companies within this country.

The reason I bring this up is that I had no expectation of meeting a retired Delta Captain today. I only planned to meet with a potential customer, find out their needs, and try to exceed them.

What he ended up telling me was that he would encounter on a regular basis fellow 58-59 year old heavy jet captains who didn't want to retire at Age 60 and were hoping and praying that they'd be able to stay on for another 5 years.

Now, he didn't seem to really subscribe to this thought much because he realized why he himself was able to achieve such success flying jets around. Because people left, retired, and/or died. If it wasn't for those who came before him leaving at their appropriate time, he wouldn't have achieved his own career goals.

He made it a habit of challenging those seeking to fly past 60. He informed them of the damage they have done to their body, and how it will get increasingly worse over the next five years. He informed them that it was their ill-fated financial decisions that have put the stress on their careers and their families.

He also asked them a simple question:

How did you get to your current seat?

The answer was simple and obvious. Because someone left.

It seemed that at the end of the conversation all he wanted to do was reaffirm the fact that these guys were able to reach the pinnacle of their careers because guys before them left, retired, got on that boat on the lake, and enjoyed the rest of their lives.

His end goal was to remind these individuals he provided consultations to that it wasn't the younger guy's/gal's fault that he/she had a second or third marriage, or bought the bigger house, or sent their son or daughter to that ivy league school they really couldn't afford. But, because of the nature of our business they were able to move on and get to where they were.

I left that conversation being very surprised. I've encountered perhaps one other Captain who joyously left his seat at 60 years old, without a complaint. What meant more to me than anything was that this guy knew where all of us are coming from - at least those of us who don't plan on sticking it out at our crap regional. He understood, and was willing to go to bat for us younger folks just trying to make a living doing what we love.

I sure as hell hope there are more guys like him out there.

Which brings up something else...

In the other thread, the FO from the Continental flight yesterday had a hire date of 1987, THAT IS 22 YEARS AS AN FO at a major airline. He has to be close to 60 himself and still has not made it to a captain seat!

In the other thread, the FO from the Continental flight yesterday had a hire date of 1987, THAT IS 22 YEARS AS AN FO at a major airline. He has to be close to 60 himself and still has not made it to a captain seat!

It was also a 777. Pretty sure he didn't start at Continental as a 777 FO in 1987 (plane wasn't even built then). He most likely was a captain of a smaller aircraft before upgrading, or stayed an FO for QOL purposes until he held enough seniority to "upgrade aircraft" and still have a desent QOL.

Just flew with the #19 FO in the ATL ER category. He used to be an -88 captain, but bid back to the right seat for QOL. He can hold the left seat on any piece of equipment at DAL he chooses, but doesn't want to.

the FO from the Continental flight yesterday had a hire date of 1987, THAT IS 22 YEARS AS AN FO at a major airline.

I don't know when the logjam at the majors will break. But, when it does it's going to be VERY interesting.

I left that conversation being very surprised. I've encountered perhaps one other Captain who joyously left his seat at 60 years old, without a complaint.

You need to meet my Dad. He retired at 57 years old and he thought that it was two years too late. I'm going to stay out of this conversation now because I can only imagine where it is heading...

You need to meet my Dad. He retired at 57 years old and he thought that it was two years too late. I'm going to stay out of this conversation now because I can only imagine where it is heading...

You're right, I sure do.

Once I get the new grill and back patio taken care of, JC Newnan/South Atlanta/Metro Atlanta member party at my place.

Once I get the new grill and back patio taken care of, JC Newnan/South Atlanta/Metro Atlanta member party at my place.

:beer:

Let me know when man ill be there. I talked to a couple of current 767 captains at delta over the weekend- Keeps the hope going deep down inside that one day ill be in the same seat.

Let me know when man ill be there. I talked to a couple of current 767 captains at delta over the weekend- Keeps the hope going deep down inside that one day ill be in the same seat.

You will man. Keep your head up, and it's a much better one than some of your (our) peers. Complete any of those instructor certifications yet?

Maybe he was a 737 Capt that bidded down. Happens more often than you think. Had a retired Delta Capt on my flight say his son used to be a DC9 Capt for NWA but it was way too much work for him and he bidded to 747 FO where he does one 12 day trip a month.

Well I can tell you're a lazy son of a gun... so you need some help with that or what???

:D

haha - with which? ;)

Father's Day is tomorrow and my birthday is next month. While my wife is better at keeping secrets and managing surprises. . .I'm expecting the new grill soon.

As far as the patio expansion, it's really just laying down extra concrete which I'm not skilled at by any stretch of the imagination. We have a family friend who does home landscaping and builds decks and huge patios up in Atlanta. We're convincing him to come down to take care of this project for us.

Its amazing how priorities change. I used to want nothing else but to have this job. But now that I'm here I've learned there are more important things in life. Things that can't be enjoyed while you're at work.

This job is better than most, but for me it has become a means to an end. Work long enough to be able to set myself up to work as little as possible and enjoy the more important things in life.

I'll be more than ready to retire by the time I hit age 60. Probably well before then.

Its amazing how priorities change. I used to want nothing else but to have this job. But now that I'm here I've learned there are more important things in life. Things that can't be enjoyed while you're at work.

This job is better than most, but for me it has become a means to an end. Work long enough to be able to set myself up to work as little as possible and enjoy the more important things in life.

I'll be more than ready to retire by the time I hit age 60. Probably well before then.

Very good post!

As long as I can enjoy my life with my family and be able to lift some pints with friends every one in a while, I'm a happy camper for right now.

I remember 10+ years ago when I stared flying all I wanted was to fly around the world in a GV, but now I could fly the King Air the rest of my life and be fine with it. Hell, most of the time I fly its a 30 minute leg to the Ranch where I ride four wheelers, fish, and shoot skeet all day. Then I go to bed in a guest house that is twice the size of my house. Its a hard couple days of work. :)

My retirement plan: My kids grow up and I go fly Twotters on floats in the Maldives for a few years, then who knows...

See, most people dream of flying the wide bodies and all I want is to fly floats, wear flip-flops, throw away my razors, and go on a beersaltlime diet.

It was also a 777. Pretty sure he didn't start at Continental as a 777 FO in 1987 (plane wasn't even built then). He most likely was a captain of a smaller aircraft before upgrading, or stayed an FO for QOL purposes until he held enough seniority to "upgrade aircraft" and still have a desent QOL.

Probably right. At the station I work at, there is a CAL 777 FO that commutes. He could hold captain, but chooses to remain as an FO. He said he makes as much as a 737 CA, but his seniority is such that he only flies about twice per month, doing a Tokyo turn. He is almost 60, and from what I understand, plans to retire at 60.

Everybody loves to blame the other guy for their own difficulties. How about the guys who've gone through lost pensions, wages, furloughs; people who have mil and combat experience who are at the top now and need a few more years to regain what they lost in the last decade. They are under no obligation to anyone other than themselves and their families. The last thing they should be thinking about is industry newbies who want to fly something big, too.

Everybody loves to blame the other guy for their own difficulties. How about the guys who've gone through lost pensions, wages, furloughs; people who have mil and combat experience who are at the top now and need a few more years to regain what they lost in the last decade. They are under no obligation to anyone other than themselves and their families. The last thing they should be thinking about is industry newbies who want to fly something big, too.

No excuse. If you have to continue working thru age 60 for financial reasons you have no one to blame but yourself.

As spoken by someone who's probably nowhere near 60 and thinks your good fortune will last forever. Would you REALLY expect someone to budget not for themselves, but essentially for YOU, so that YOU can take their seat a few years sooner??

Look I have no intention of working a day longer than I absolutely have to. But just as you don't pull the ladder up behind you, don't throw stones at the top.

... and I go fly Twotters on floats in the Maldives for a few years, then who knows...

See, most people dream of flying the wide bodies and all I want is to fly floats, wear flip-flops, throw away my razors, and go on a beersaltlime diet.

Dude, Maldivian Air Taxi is my retirement plan too. My wife thinks I'm joking but I am dead serious - I have that once pic from a.net as my background to remind me everyday....I think I'll go look at it now.

Back