How much of the "workings" should we know

poser765

So, something I've been thinking about recently is how much detail should we be knowledgeable concerning systems of a 150-182 sized airplane? Take for example a constant speed prop.

I could diagram this system and tell you in detail how it works with flyweights and speeder springs and all that fun stuff...but how much of that do I need to know as a pilot? Would it not be sufficient to know how and when to operate the system?

OK I really ask because i got into a debate with a friend of mine last night over impulse couplers. He is the mechanic type and things that every pilot should be able to do maintenance on the airplane. He is one extreme, so I naturally took the other extreme. His position was that knowing what this "thing" did was fundamental to a pilot being able to safely fly an airplane. My extreme opposite positions was that an impulse coupler is about as relevant to me as the as the inner workings of a starter for daily piloting operations.

What do you guys think? Is this another one of those weird and campy dichotomies?

It's a balance. You don't need to know how to build it from scratch, but you also shouldn't be a mindless button-pusher who knows nothing but "when X happens do Y".

I agree. My normal stance is not the extreme stance i took in the above example. I feel we should know enough about the systems to operate them safely and without risk of harming them. Also, we need to have some BASIC understanding of the systems in order to educatedly inform a mechanic of any trouble.

ie "the shimmy damper is out i believe" opposed to "hey lots of noise and shaking...fix it plz"

There's a difference between knowing the principles and operation of a particular system, and knowing the mechanics of it. Is it interesting to know the detailed mechanics of it...to the level of an A&P? Sure. Is it always necessary? Depends. Normally, no IMO.

When I flew the A-10, one of the weapons we carried was the AGM-65 Maverick missle. Some guys with the electrical engineering degrees got really into how all the thinking algorithms of the weapon worked, far beyond just understanding how to use those for employing the weapon.....to the point of darn near being engineer -like. For me, Mr. Grog-the-GED-holder, I could care less how to build or work on the missile, I need to know how to best employ it. To do that, I needed to know it's strengths and limitations, not how the seeker head specifically, mathmatically computes it's launch transient assist, for example. If it's not something I can operate or fix from the cockpit, then I don't get too wrapped up about it....it either works as advertised, or doesn't. Nothing I can do to fix one that's broken from the cockpit, nor am I going to work on it on the ground.

Kind of an extreme example of working knowledge (operating it) vs intricate mechanical knowledge (building it); but you get the point.

exactly like the impulse couplers. I can't do anythng from a pilots standpoint. If they broke they broke. Also if i tried to take a screw driver to it i would probably get a firm talking to by the real A&Ps. Granted there are some areas in aviation where pilots are also mechanics...just think they are few and far between.

Just as an aside...this guy also thinks that fire bombing aircraft make up at least 50% of GA. Just saying for giggles and laughs.

Just as an aside...this guy also thinks that fire bombing aircraft make up at least 50% of GA. Just saying for giggles and laughs.

Consider the source's credibility then.....with the subject of this thread too.

You should know just enough about a system to know when that system is not working properly.

EDIT: I don't mean that in such a simple way as to say "Hmm the wing fell off, the plane must not be working properly today"

It's a balance. You don't need to know how to build it from scratch, but you also shouldn't be a mindless button-pusher who knows nothing but "when X happens do Y".

I'm in complete agreement. Like Clocks said, I don't think we need to know how to build the thing, but we need to have at least a basic understanding of what things do, so we can avoid making a situation worse. I find having a decent knowledge of systems not only can help you be safer in the air, but it can also help you describe a problem to a mechanic so they can fix the problem, or give them an idea when a component may soon need to be replaced.

Knowing as much as possible on the systems. Do you need to know how to fix it. No (IMO) but you should have a good understanding of what is going on. A good example is the fuel system on a twin Comanche. Fairly simple set up, easy to discuss on an oral. 4 tanks, selectors, manual, and aux fuel pumps, fuel flow indicator. Sounds simple. Let’s take the fuel flow gauge. Shows the amount of fuel flow to the engines correct? NO. It really just shows fuel pressure. It shows fuel flow based on the fuel pressure. So lets say your applying power for take off and during scan you see a very high (above normal) "fuel flow". It’s really not a high fuel flow at all; it’s most likely a restriction in the system, causing high pressure. It's probably something I would rather trouble shoot on the GROUND!
So knowing what the airplane is doing is really important!

Learn as much as you can.

Just like everything else, it's a building block system.

If you understand how stuff works on a relatively simple airplane, then as stuff is added and new systems are introduced, you will have an easier time learning all the new stuff, IMO.

The entire airplane is made of matter. Unless you have an extensive background in quantum mechanics, you really have no business being in the air.

I could diagram this system and tell you in detail how it works with flyweights and speeder springs and all that fun stuff...but how much of that do I need to know as a pilot? Would it not be sufficient to know how and when to operate the system?

Well, I have a complex endorsement and I've logged enough time as PIC in a Cardinal RG to make the insurance companies happy.

And I couldn't for the life of me tell you how the constant speed prop works. All I know is that I can change the pitch of it by pushing in or pulling out a knob, and that's all I need to know.

Does knowing that pushing the knob in does something to a flywheel and engages a different gear (I have no clue if that's the case or not and am just putting it out there) make me a better pilot?

I don't think so.

Believe me, having an in depth knowledge of systems can become quite handy. You might not need to know everything on a good day, but when stuff stops doing what it should, thats when you need the smarts.

Know as much as you can. When the stuff hits the fan, it helps you understand what you can and can't do about it. It also MIGHT alert you to a much bigger issue when a seemingly small problem pops up.

But I'm an A&P talking here and an enormous nerd who loves learning how airplanes work.

I'd say learn more than is required.

Whenever I've had a full-on, "holy crap get out the POH, you work the radios and I'll work the problem", systems knowledge always saved the day.

The accountants that design training programs don't realize that there are a lot of events that can happen in a cockpit that don't correspond to a checklist and you've got to get all "Scotty" on the situation.

I'd say learn more than is required.

Whenever I've had a full-on, "holy crap get out the POH, you work the radios and I'll work the problem", systems knowledge always saved the day.

The accountants that design training programs don't realize that there are a lot of events that can happen in a cockpit that don't correspond to a checklist and you've got to get all "Scotty" on the situation.

To add to this eggsalad advice. Be very, VERY careful on how much you improvise, even when going into a situation that is "off checklist". Obviously do whatever is needed to get the airplane on the ground with minimal metal bending and no one getting hurt, but don't try to be "Scotty" and get a little more out of her.

As a pilot, should I know what kind of bolts to use when changing a window? No, but it helps to know that you can put the wrong kind of bolt in there and that can affect the free swinging compass. People use the wrong bolts quite frequently.

Learn as much as you can.

Just like everything else, it's a building block system.

If you understand how stuff works on a relatively simple airplane, then as stuff is added and new systems are introduced, you will have an easier time learning all the new stuff, IMO.

I agree 100% with that...

Also know the systems as much as possible will help you troublshoot in flight, especially when the QRH is lacking on a problem or its a compound problem.

Especially the way certain manufacturers work. Knowing how to "virtually build" a 727, it made 737-200 ground school that much easier primarily because there are different corporate philosophies that go into building an airplane.

Back