Question about this type of flying

Tangodelta29

Please Watch (I can now embed perfectly) :)

[YT]OUw5fHlC5eU&feature=email[/YT]

I don't get how this flight is legal. He/she seems really close to the clouds at times, and are you not supposed to have visual reference to the ground when VFR?

I was told its not IFR twice by "people on youtube"

Thanks!

Could have been a number of things: block altitude, Class G above 1200 AGL, VFR-on-top, and a lot of people don't quite understand the difference between VFR and VMC or IFR and IMC either. Could be a number of things, but more than likely it was legal.

Could be in Class B airspace. 3 miles and clear of clouds is all you need. Here's a (big) good chart of that stuff.

I had a "friend" who flew some charter between Florida and the Islands and that looks pretty much like what they saw as VFR every day.

Who said it had to be legal?

and are you not supposed to have visual reference to the ground when VFR?
Not that I'm aware of. At least not in the US. Perhaps things are different overseas.

It's probably legal... Maybe class B airspace... Some of those youtube comments are real gems.

It says 9600ft on the Altimeter u cant fake that noob . ur not a real pilot anyways go shoot ur self

noob pilots!

It's probably legal... Maybe class B airspace... Some of those youtube comments are real gems.

noob pilots!

hahaha

Yeah I actually feel a little rusty now:(... I should have been able to figure out at least one of those possibilities.

And thanks Bob... I made that my desktop background :laff:

Who said it had to be legal?

Not that I'm aware of. At least not in the US. Perhaps things are different overseas.

How else would a non instrument rated pilot navigate?

"Yet another tool that pilots acquire is training in emergency flight solely by reference to instruments. When all else fails, this tool may save the day during an escape from an inadvertent cloud penetration, or during a loss of visual reference to the ground above a solid cloud deck."

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/ft_magazine/fullstory.cfm?id=6016&issue_title=August+2007

Please Watch (I can now embed perfectly) :)

I don't get how this flight is legal. He/she seems really close to the clouds at times, and are you not supposed to have visual reference to the ground when VFR?

I was told its not IFR twice by "people on youtube"

Thanks!

No

radio navigation or gps. It could be good ole point in the direction I calculated and time it.

yeah I just thought those were aids and couldn't be relied on solely unless the airplane and pilot were IFR certified.

Since GPS and VOR are not required

Maybe I'm getting confused with my FBO's rules...

Well I don't know why I got so confused, but I get it. I cant figure out why my mind always tells me its a no no though...

You need to maintain visual reference to the ground as a solo student pilot.

With a private or higher license, all you need to do is maintain the VFR could clearances from 91.155. Chances are these guys were in Class B or even in another country. They may have also been on an IFR flight plan with VFR on top, etc. etc. Lots of possibilities, but as said earlier, it was probably legit.

You need to maintain visual reference to the ground as a solo student pilot.

With a private or higher license, all you need to do is maintain the VFR could clearances from 91.155. Chances are these guys were in Class B or even in another country. They may have also been on an IFR flight plan with VFR on top, etc. etc. Lots of possibilities, but as said earlier, it was probably legit.

Thank you!

Groundspeed, time and direction. These are trusty means of navigation.

Besides, as far as the flight being legal-anyone with a yard stick? Looks like a fun flight to me.

In reference to the youtube comments....
youtube.png

IFRC, Recreational pilots are also required to "maintain visual contact with the surface", but who actually gets that certificate anyway? Probably sport pilots too. But if you have a private, you can go over the top of an overcast layer perfectly fine, as long as you're able to make your descent at your destination VFR. It certainly helps to be IFR rated, though. One time I did exactly that and got "trapped" above the coulds overhead destination because the clouds were forecast to move out of the area but didn't. Picked up IFR in the little C150 and shot a LOC/BC :D

FWIW, at around 29 seconds, you can clearly see terra firma in the not-to-far distance, so they probably found a pop-up cumulus to poke around. Given the altitude, I would hazard a guess that they were in CO, WY, NM, AZ, UT or NV on an ontherwise sunny afternoon in the spring when pop-up cumulus clouds abound.

Back