Question about this type of flying

I dont think its Class G though... because the only time you get clear of clouds is 1200 feet or less.

Correct me if im wrong, but from what I understand you don't need nor could you get an IFR clearance in class G airspace. Therefore you could fly as close to clouds or even in them in class G without breaking a reg. I would imagine you would at least need an instrument rating and an IFR equipped airplane. Not smart though.

I think that you can never fly in them, unless your on an IFR plan. The lowest minimums would be 1sm Visibility and remaining clear of clouds, and even then its only at 1200' or lower during daylight in class G.

I think that you can never fly in them, unless your on an IFR plan. The lowest minimums would be 1sm Visibility and remaining clear of clouds, and even then its only at 1200' or lower during daylight in class G.

In class G, you can legally fly in the clouds without a clearance if you and the airplane are appropriately rated/equipped. There aren't many/any areas of class G > 1200 AGL in the Eastern US, but out West there are some large areas of uncontrolled airspace. I'm pretty sure you can't even pick up an IFR clearance if you are in class G. (When you depart a class G airport, that is different, but even then you likely aren't in RADAR contact until you are above 700 or 1200 AGL.)

I commonly ask this question when interviewing candidates...

G

In class G, you can legally fly in the clouds without a clearance if you and the airplane are appropriately rated/equipped. There aren't many/any areas of class G > 1200 AGL in the Eastern US, but out West there are some large areas of uncontrolled airspace. I'm pretty sure you can't even pick up an IFR clearance if you are in class G. (When you depart a class G airport, that is different, but even then you likely aren't in RADAR contact until you are above 700 or 1200 AGL.)

I commonly ask this question when interviewing candidates...

G

Oh okay thanks for clearing that up, I'm talking from a private only standpoint so I had no chance. Interesting to know though!

Back