How to Remember VFR Cloud Clearances

dcramer16

I'm doing some reviewing today, and just "discovered" I don't remember any of my VFR cloud clearances. I've been flying IFR for the last year and half, and haven't needed to remember them. Crap!:D I never did have an easy time remembering them anyways. Does anyone have some tricks to help remember them??

Only memory aid I know is the 123 - 1000 above, 2000 side, 500 below. Doesn't apply to all airspace, but most.

I used to be able to remember the numbers, but not which one went where till I thought about IFR traffic. Assume a jet is in the cloud layer. He's fast so 2000 horizontal gives both of you some (not much, I know) time to see and avoid. Next, jets climb pretty fast, but not as fast as cruise, so 1000 above. Last, jets usually descend slower than they climb so 500 below.

Hope that helps some.

I've used "1,2,3" for Class E below 10,000 and "5,1,1,1" or "5,1,1" for Class E > 10,000.

The "1,2,3" isn't perfect because it doesn't contain all the clearances and it's kind of out of order depending on how you think about it. But it stands for 1,000 above, 2,000 horizontal, 3 mi vis. You have to remember the 500' below on your own.

"5,1,1,1" or "5,1,1" is 5 mi vis, 1000' above/below, and 1 mi horizontal. Again, you have to remember which is which. The daytime Class G < 1200AGL is pretty simple, so I don't have anything to remember that one, but remember that daytime Class G above 1200 AGL still has 1 mi vis. Hope this helps.

Screw it...keep filing. VFR is WAY over rated!:D

Amen to that! But for the purposes of reviewing, I'm trying to get them memorized again.

edit: By the way, in the 3 years I have been a commercial pilot I have never had to know them. They have never come up in an interview. When I was flying for a Part 91 operation, if the weather was bad, I would file, I perfer to file anyways. When I was flying for a Part 135 operation, we were required to file. But I suppose it's something I should know. Has anyone ever HAD to use this info??

Agreed, IFR is the best!

I use the 3152 rule

3 miles visibility

1000 above

500 below

2000 horizontally

< 10k 3 152's
> 10k 5 111's

And then you just need to memorize Class B and G.

Class B is 3-COC

<grumble picks="" up="" ppl="" oral="" exam="" guide="" class="" g....=""> [grumble --digs for PPL oral exam guide]
DAY
<=1200' 1sm COC
>1200' < 10,000 1-512
>10,000 5-111
NIGHT
<=1200 3-512
>1200 <10,000 3-512
>10,000 5-111
</grumble>[/grumble]

So the only brain power is required on G.
I used G day like B except use '1' instead of '3'
G-night 3-152
10K rule still holds.

b.

I've got a kneeboard with them all on there, as well as other common information (Crusing altitudes, light gun signals, equiptment codes etc.) that makes it very simple, even when flying IFR. :nana2: The only time I ever memorize them is for a checkride.

This is going to show my age, but I always thought "512K? BAH!"

500 Below
1000 Above
2000 Horizontal

That's from the 'way back file' so it probably doesn't apply anymore.

Yeah it's an IFR clearance but you still have to maintain VFR cloud clearance on a visual approach.

From the AIM:

Visual approaches are an IFR procedure conducted under IFR in visual meteorological conditions. Cloud clearance requirements of 14 CFR Section 91.155 are not applicable, unless required by operation specifications.

From the AIM:

Visual approaches are an IFR procedure conducted under IFR in visual meteorological conditions. Cloud clearance requirements of 14 CFR Section 91.155 are not applicable, unless required by operation specifications.
N/M then, you only have to be clear of clouds.

So the only brain power is required on G.
True that.

With G the thing I really have to remember is both nights < 10k are 3-1,5,2
Both days are only 1SM. I can easily fill in the blanks from there.

This is going to show my age, but I always thought "512K? BAH!"

500 Below
1000 Above
2000 Horizontal

That's from the 'way back file' so it probably doesn't apply anymore.

Yes! Thats what i used. People would always do the 3 152 and i said NOOOO 512 BAH!

32 1/5

(draw the 1/5 out as an elementary school fraction sign with 1 then a _ over 5. Treat the fraction as the cloud. So 3sm vis, 2000 horizontal, 1000 above, 500 below.

As far as Class G goes... just memorise it.

Back