How to Remember VFR Cloud Clearances

When I was flying for a Part 135 operation, we were required to file. But I suppose it's something I should know. Has anyone ever HAD to use this info??
It came up on my recurrent written. VFR requirements for a night flight in class G airspace. Talk about blowing my mind. It was a great question though, something I hadn't even thought to review.

From the AIM:

Visual approaches are an IFR procedure conducted under IFR in visual meteorological conditions. Cloud clearance requirements of 14 CFR Section 91.155 are not applicable, unless required by operation specifications.
For Part 91, this is true. However, under 135 the op specs require you to maintain VFR cloud clearances on a visual approach.

C077 Terminal Visual Flight Rules, Limitations and Provisions

b. Terminal arrival IFR - Visual approach or a Charted Visual Flight Procedure (CVFP). The flightcrew may accept a visual approach or a CVFP provided that all of the following conditions exist. The flightcrew may not accept a visual approach or a CVFP unless the limitations and provisions of subparagraph f. of this operations specification are met.

(3) The flightcrew must maintain the basic cloud clearances as specified in Section 91.155

-mini

AFAIK, Op Specs are identical from one operator to another if you have them. The trick, is getting them issued. While you may or may not have C077 issued, if you do, it's probably worded exactly how it was worded at my last operator and exactly how it is worded at my new operator.

Do you have some evidence to the contrary? Stick with 135 op specs, if you please. For all I know, 121 just says "please don't hit anything when accepting a visual or CVFP".

-mini

Back