pilot shortage looming?

Someone's got to tell me how there can be a shortage when there are thousands of people out on the street. Shortage would imply that there aren't enough bodies to fill the slots available.

That just ain't so.

Somewhere down the road, it may happen. The costs associated with training just can't be justified by the starting pay.

At some point, that may catch up with the industry. But until then, talk of a shortage is just ridiculous.

I didn't read anything about a looming pilot shortage. What I read was that people that want to fly for fun/occasional business are suffering. People that want to fly for a living are still continuing training and are finding ways to make it happen.

:yeahthat:

Nowhere in that article does AP say there's a pilot shortage looming. The article doesn't address professional pilots at all. In fact, what they DO say is there are no pilot jobs out there:
Richard Syrovy, of Kitchener, Ontario, has a private license and was pursuing a license to fly commercially in hopes of making aviation his career. But the economy made openings for pilots scarce, and the 22-year-old college student, who took a part-time job marketing knives to pay for his training, couldn't afford to continue. He last flew in June.

Analytical skills = FAIL.

I understand money being tight causing people to rethink their training but to say "Well, some crap regionals aren't hiring right now I better stop training. I'll wait until hiring is crazy go nuts again then then restart my training. Then I can get my Inst., Commerical, CFI, then build time until I can get hired!"

Which will simply cause them to miss the next wave of hiring. Those training and timebuilding NOW are the ones who'll ride it.

:yeahthat:

Nowhere in that article does AP say there's a pilot shortage looming. The article doesn't address professional pilots at all. In fact, what they DO say is there are no pilot jobs out there:

Analytical skills = FAIL.

It does not say there is one looming, however, it does say:
"The slumping economy has forced some student pilots to put their dreams of flying on hold, threatened to accelerate the decline of the U.S. pilot population, and put a financial chokehold on flight schools.
The number of U.S. pilots has fallen more than 25 percent from a 1980 peak of about 827,000 to about 590,000 at the end of 2008, according to the Federal Aviation Administration."

I'm sorry for reading between the lines.

"The slumping economy has forced some student pilots to put their dreams of flying on hold, threatened to accelerate the decline of the U.S. pilot population, and put a financial chokehold on flight schools.
The number of U.S. pilots has fallen more than 25 percent from a 1980 peak of about 827,000 to about 590,000 at the end of 2008, according to the Federal Aviation Administration."

You just read (between the lines) incorrectly. A shortage implies more demand than product. That is not the case here.

You still fail to comprehend that there are 1,000's of guys/gals out or work right now. The article only speaks of recreational fliers. It never speaks to the fact that people that want to fly for a living. If you go to any flight school in Florida you will see active training. Sure there may not be as many due to the tightness of credit but there is enough being trained to satisfy the demand for the market.
The future of GA is bleak. The future of the airlines is bleak. The number of people to staff the airlines/corporate/135 is however not bleak.

Where was a quote from Kit Darby?

Since Kit Darby folded his operation, it would seem his quotes aren't in high demand anymore. It's hard to constantly cry "pilot shortage" when there's hundreds of qualified pilots on the streets at not only the major level, but now at the regional level, too.

There never has been, and never will be, a pilot shortage.

I would define a pilot shortage as starting pay above 50K in today's dollars.

Will never happen. This is a career that has been proven to go from zero time to right seat in an RJ in less than a year.

Once upon a time...... in a land faaaar faaaaaar away:

I don't know what you guys had for breakfast - but there is a real shortage of pilots!!!!! Really! You can barely find one who wants to do it for free and a kick in the ass. I mean is that not enough?

Then academies popped up like mushrooms and that rule became, well............obsolete... :p.

Dear lord just delete this post...No offense to the OP, but I am guessing he missed the last 20 times someone posted a similar title. It gets folks here worked up to no end...fire and brimstone ensue.

There were posts like this in 2007 when the regionals were hiring 200 hour wonders as a staple diet and it still got no where.

Back