Flight plan filing

Turbine

After filing an IFR flight plan it stays in the system for 2 hours correct?
Is this the same for VFR flightplans?

Also when filing IFR ,often times the first leg as well as the return is filed. However VFR flights not so much. How often have you filed both VFR flightplans at the same time. I normally do one at a time so i can get the ETD right and not have to worry about meeting the off time of the second.

You could always just revise your ETD prior to departing i suppose.

your thoughts..?

when I file VFR I do it one leg at a time. That way incase the wx, people your with, etc delay you, you can get all your times and briefs right.

Another question somewhat related if someone cares to answer...

If you're filing an IFR flight plan and your route of flight takes you through the bravo (say you're leaving a sattelite airport underneath the shelf of the brvao) and you know you will receive radar vectors, do you include this in the flight plan, or just file your route of flight and wait for the magic words of "cleared to xyz via radar vectors".

Probably a pretty stupid question but I'm not up to par on my instrument stuff.

I say just file, whether you get clearance airborne, or receive a clearance void time, ATC will fit you in without having to enter "vectors" in your flight plan.

I say just file, whether you get clearance airborne, or receive a clearance void time, ATC will fit you in without having to enter "vectors" in your flight plan.

What happens if you lose radios will you still be getting radar vectors...

well if your flying a DP then there should be lost comm procedures published. Often times in your clearance ATC will say cleared via radar vectors to XYZ then as filed. If you lose communications on departure, i believe the standard procedure would be to proceed to the cleared point on course, if you are not flying a DP or it is not noted.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I think it would seem more wise to squawk 7600 and return to the departure airport, rather then continue on course with no comm capability.

This has sort of drifted. IFR and VFR fligts in system for 2 hours right?

If you have VFR flight on file for 10:30 departure and you do not depart until 11:00, ETD revision required, yes?

I know i do.

IFR is more file, leave within the valid time period, and your fine.

After filing an IFR flight plan it stays in the system for 2 hours correct?
Is this the same for VFR flightplans?
Yes it is the same. According to the briefer I talked to on the phone a couple weeks ago.

If you're filing an IFR flight plan and your route of flight takes you through the bravo (say you're leaving a sattelite airport underneath the shelf of the brvao) and you know you will receive radar vectors, do you include this in the flight plan, or just file your route of flight and wait for the magic words of "cleared to xyz via radar vectors".

Not sure. Good question. I wish I was more current on my instrument stuff.

You can also get radar vectors in many places outside the Bravo. You can fly the entire northeast and much of the west coast without ever being told to intercept an airway.

There is a school of thought (one that I subscribe to) that argues that you always file a flight plan that you can navigate without radar coverage and then accept all the vectors and shortcuts that you are offered.

There is a school of thought (one that I subscribe to) that argues that you always file a flight plan that you can navigate without radar coverage and then accept all the vectors and shortcuts that you are offered.

I subscribe to it as well, but it doesn't really work that way when you are flying entirely within a Bravo.

I generally file direct, get cleared as filed, and then take the vectors. You are always going to be vectored in a bravo, I see no point filing any particular routing. If you are NORDO going direct probably causes fewer problems than the alternatives anyway.

I subscribe to it as well, but it doesn't really work that way when you are flying entirely within a Bravo.

I generally file direct, get cleared as filed, and then take the vectors. You are always going to be vectored in a bravo, I see no point filing any particular routing. If you are NORDO going direct probably causes fewer problems than the alternatives anyway.

I'm assuming you generally file /G?

well if your flying a DP then there should be lost comm procedures published. Often times in your clearance ATC will say cleared via radar vectors to XYZ then as filed. If you lose communications on departure, i believe the standard procedure would be to proceed to the cleared point on course, if you are not flying a DP or it is not noted.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I think it would seem more wise to squawk 7600 and return to the departure airport, rather then continue on course with no comm capability.

This has sort of drifted. IFR and VFR fligts in system for 2 hours right?

If you have VFR flight on file for 10:30 departure and you do not depart until 11:00, ETD revision required, yes?

I know i do.

IFR is more file, leave within the valid time period, and your fine.

If you lose your comm's under IFR and you are in VMC, you would squawk 7600 and you could go back to your departure airport. If you lose comm's under IFR in IMC you would go direct to the point that you are being radar vectored to then fly either your filed or assigned route.

What happens if you lose radios will you still be getting radar vectors...

no longer receiving vectors, so.......

A. ssigned
V. ectored
E. xpected
F. iled

right?

VMC, I'd just squawk 7600 and head back home, or to an uncontrolled field that could handle the aircraft that was nearby.

At the risk of putting on the "cowboy" hat, filing a VFR flightplan is pretty much a waste of time and a headache unless you're flying from wyoming to montana or something. If you biff it in on takeoff or landing, chances are someone's going to see it and get their picture in the local yokel times. Otherwise, just get flight following. I assure you when some controller has "lost" an airplane, they're going to start looking for you a whole lot faster than if they think you just forgot to cancel your VFR flightplan.

no longer receiving vectors, so.......

A. ssigned
V. ectored
E. xpected
F. iled

right?

VMC, I'd just squawk 7600 and head back home, or to an uncontrolled field that could handle the aircraft that was nearby.
True.
But if you are filing "Radar Vectors" for a segment of your IFR flight plan what happens when your lost comms and you get to that segment.
Kind of along the same lines as what Boris just said, when i'm filing IFR the only thing I'm thinking about is how this will pan out/help me if i lose comms. ATC will change it to whatever they want, no point in trying to read their mind unless there is a preferred routing published.

True.
But if you are filing "Radar Vectors" for a segment of your IFR flight plan what happens when your lost comms and you get to that segment.
Kind of along the same lines as what Boris just said, when i'm filing IFR the only thing I'm thinking about is how this will pan out/help me if i lose comms. ATC will change it to whatever they want, no point in trying to read their mind unless there is a preferred routing published.
They should be telling you "Fly heading 090 vectors to MYFIX" or "...090 i'll have you on course to ABC in 15 miles".

If you lose radio comms, you do just that. (go to "MYFIX" or "ABC" in 15 miles)

-mini

They should be telling you "Fly heading 090 vectors to MYFIX" or "...090 i'll have you on course to ABC in 15 miles".

If you lose radio comms, you do just that. (go to "MYFIX" or "ABC" in 15 miles)

-mini
But if you file radar vectors, on your clearance you are cleared as filed then you don't get to the RV part yet and your radios fail.

I wouldn't.... but read the third post.
Same team same team lol..

I think I'm catching up, but I still don't know how in the hell you'd file "RADAR VECTORS" in the flight plan.

Maybe in the remarks? "Please vector me!"

Still, if you left the "route" section blank and got cleared "as filed", that would be direct...not radar vectors.

Nope...I'm confused again.

*edit*
Yeah...definitely confused again. I'm gonna go make a sammich...someone help me out here.

-mini

I would file a route, or you could leave it blank and get whatever ATC gives you (as previously stated).

I've never heard/thought about filing "Radar Vectors".

If you are flying a trip that is of reasonable length, im sure you would not just enter "radar vectors".

Therefore perhaps if you are flying a quick hop and leave the routing blank, ATC would clear via vectors or direct. If you lose comms and are in VMC, heading back or to a nearby uncontrolled airport would be the best choice.

Now if you are in IMC, perhaps you could proceed to a fix on an instrument approach to that airport, then inbound. your thoughts?

Best thing to do is file at least one fix, or direct.

Back