Flight plan filing

I would file a route, or you could leave it blank and get whatever ATC gives you (as previously stated).

I've never heard/thought about filing "Radar Vectors".

If you are flying a trip that is of reasonable length, im sure you would not just enter "radar vectors".

Therefore perhaps if you are flying a quick hop and leave the routing blank, ATC would clear via vectors or direct. If you lose comms and are in VMC, heading back or to a nearby uncontrolled airport would be the best choice.

Now if you are in IMC, perhaps you could proceed to a fix on an instrument approach to that airport, then inbound. your thoughts?

Best thing to do is file at least one fix, or direct.

No, do not file radar vectors. There is no such thing. Briefers will not take it. Duats will not take it. It does not make sense.

You don't file vectors on your flight plan, but you can certainly expect it inside Bravo. You should always have atleast one destination on your flight plan, whether it be a fix, VOR, or just plain direct. I've always thought of IFR filing as a formality in case you lost comm's. Otherwise, once you receive your clearance, ATC can request that you do anything they want.

True.
But if you are filing "Radar Vectors" for a segment of your IFR flight plan what happens when your lost comms and you get to that segment.
Kind of along the same lines as what Boris just said, when i'm filing IFR the only thing I'm thinking about is how this will pan out/help me if i lose comms. ATC will change it to whatever they want, no point in trying to read their mind unless there is a preferred routing published.

Ahh. I think I get where your comming from. I wouldn't file for radar vector's. But if I was still getting vectored, and I lost comms, I'd go direct to the next fix, and my highest altitude.

I think I'm catching up, but I still don't know how in the hell you'd file "RADAR VECTORS" in the flight plan.

Maybe in the remarks? "Please vector me!"

Still, if you left the "route" section blank and got cleared "as filed", that would be direct...not radar vectors.

Nope...I'm confused again.

*edit*
Yeah...definitely confused again. I'm gonna go make a sammich...someone help me out here.

-mini
I don't think you're confused at all.

People will file direct, expect radar vectors, and not worry about the lost comm routing issue on the theory (not mine) that (a) ATC just wants you to go the shortest way to your destination and will keep the area clear, and (b) that the real need to follow the planned route is small enough to not worry about.

They're not really filing "radar vectors." Heck, DUATS won't even take a flight plan with a vector-only SID in the route box.

I don't think you're confused at all.

People will file direct, expect radar vectors, and not worry about the lost comm routing issue on the theory (not mine) that (a) ATC just wants you to go the shortest way to your destination and will keep the area clear, and (b) that the real need to follow the planned route is small enough to not worry about.
I'll file direct when the situation warrants it, but it's not that I'm expecting vectors and not worried about the need to follow the planned route. If I lose comms and have been cleared "via radar vectors", then I can't very well go via an Assigned or Vectored route. I'd have to go via an Expected or Filed route of flight. More than likely, that means just pressing the D with the arrow through it and continuing on my merry way, whilst squawking 7600.

That's different than filing "radar vectors" though, which is why I was confused. At least filing direct you have a "route" to follow if you lose communications.

-mini

Back