Flying right seat as PIC

atomic20v

I've never flown anything but left seat since I started training and passed my checkride (checked out in C152 and PA-28). Is there any issue flying the plane PIC from the right seat without prior instruction? It makes me kind of nervous - I'm assuming they teach this in the instructor courses. I'd like to take my friend for a flight in a 152 and let him sit left seat (although never giving him the controls). Anyone done this before or is this a really horrible idea?

I would do it with an instructor first. It's not a big deal, but low time and with a friend is a bad time to try something new for the first time.

I've never flown anything but left seat since I started training and passed my checkride (checked out in C152 and PA-28). Is there any issue flying the plane PIC from the right seat without prior instruction? It makes me kind of nervous - I'm assuming they teach this in the instructor courses. I'd like to take my friend for a flight in a 152 and let him sit left seat (although never giving him the controls). Anyone done this before or is this a really horrible idea?
Being new to the game, and just having done your checkride, I would say to go up with an instructor at least once and fly from the right seat. At your experience level, you might have a hard time. I was a Commercial Pilot with 250+ hours when I started flying right seat for my CFI, and it was disorienting.

Also, I know, you know, and everybody here knows you are going to let your friend fly some. that would be just cruel to take him up and never even let him touch the controls. Everybody here who has taken friends up has let them fly. The key is in a very controlled environment and with lots of altitude. I would only let them do straight and level and shallow bank turns.

Remember, if they lock up on the controls, there are two tricks that work as a last and final resort...covering their eyes, and a karate chop across the throat. Both will get their attention and get them to loosen up on the controls.

Congrats on the license to learn and enjoy being up in the air!!

The vulcan death grip works too.

I went up with my CFI to learn to fly right seat after getting my instrument, so that I could do a lot of my time building from the right seat and be really comfortable with it when it comes time for my CFI. It wasn't too bad but looking over to the left for the gauges was really odd. I think after getting my instrument i could fly a little bit more by feel that I could have right after my private.

The vulcan death grip works too.

I went up with my CFI to learn to fly right seat after getting my instrument, so that I could do a lot of my time building from the right seat and be really comfortable with it when it comes time for my CFI. It wasn't too bad but looking over to the left for the gauges was really odd. I think after getting my instrument i could fly a little bit more by feel that I could have right after my private.

The only part that concerns me is flying the approach with pitch and power on opposite hands. Day VFR local class-E I don't even really need any gauges besides the tach, which is on the right side :).

The only part that concerns me is flying the approach with pitch and power on opposite hands. Day VFR local class-E I don't even really need any gauges besides the tach, which is on the right side :).
You should try flying patterns with ALL instruments covered...it's liberating. The plane really "talks" to you.

-mini

I would do it with an instructor first. It's not a big deal, but low time and with a friend is a bad time to try something new for the first time.
I agree with this advice. Some pilots take to the different visual picture and controls sort of reversed quickly; others need more work. Alone or with a non-pilot friend is not the way to find out which you are.

Yeah, definitely a good idea to have a qualified pilot in the left seat if your learning the right, especially if you are newly minted. It doesn't take very long to get it but when the hands are switched and you get flustered, going from muscle memory will only aggravate it. As stone cold said, your gonna let him fly, so give yourself at least some kind of a fighting chance...
:)

:yeahthat:if that's because you wouldn't feel safe if something got out of hand while you were in the right seat that should tell you something.

Some flight schools/clubs REQUIRE a right seat checkout too. You might want to look into that if you are still considering it.

This brings up a good question.

What if the POH restricts you to the left seat?

22144934.jpg

That's a very easy one. It's in the Limitations section of the POH. The pilot must be in the left seat.

I brought it up because I had never seen that in anything I have flown before. I was hoping someone would have some insight as to why a manufacture would even make that a limitation.

This brings up a good question.

What if the POH restricts you to the left seat?

Notice thought it says Minimum Flight Crew is one pilot in the left seat. Doesn't restrict the PIC to the left seat though.

As far as why, maybe it has something to do with the layout of the cockpit.

edit: Found this picture. I think the reasoning might now be clearer.

attachment.php

Attachments

• matrixcockpit.JPG
    matrixcockpit.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 253
Notice thought it says Minimum Flight Crew is one pilot in the left seat. Doesn't restrict the PIC to the left seat though.

As far as why, maybe it has something to do with the layout of the cockpit.

edit: Found this picture. I think the reasoning might now be clearer.

That's the exact layout as the POH I listed. So you're saying because no PFD panel on the right side? I don't know about that. What about all the GA aircraft with only a six pack on the left side?

And dosn't it restrict the PIC to the left side if the POH specifically says "in the left seat"? Seems like a silly limitation but who am I to argue with the manufacture.

Back