Which ATP location to attend?

bendhage

I am getting ready to graduate college in May and I have my private pilot license. I was just wondering which ATP location would be the best to attend in Florida or possibly Texas. If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appricate them.

Thank You

Arlington TX (KGKY). Great instructors, good facilities, towered airport, busy airspace, new aircraft.

$0.02

Anyone know where the Tampa location will be? They don't mention which airport on their website. I'm assuming VDF

I'm not sure if that field can handle a half dozen planes circling the pattern.
I don't think you'd have to worry too much about it... Most of the satellite locations used to have only one or two seminoles based there.

I guess that could change if it becomes a more popular training locale.

Bob

Not sure how SAC is these days, but when I went there 4+ years ago it was great. You didn't have the new fancy facilities or planes, but the instructors, area and flying made up for it. I was actually able to fly in real IMC for most if my instrument training. After visiting some of the other locations, I'd say PHX would have been nice too, minus the heat, but the ASU girls made up for it:)

i second that! that rob guy is nuts. supposedly he slaps his students then cries. :)

i kid i kid he is a great guy.

I am getting ready to graduate college in May and I have my private pilot license. I was just wondering which ATP location would be the best to attend in Florida or possibly Texas. If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appricate them.

Thank You

Why just Florida and Texas?

No reason why I'm looking at Florida or Texas, just trying to narrow my choices down to get better answers. Thank you everybody for the help. Please let me know if you have anymore advice in choosing a location or just any advice in general about attending ATP

Well, here's some advice I've given in the past... hope it helps:

Regarding choosing a site for your training... quite frankly... just pick one that appeals to you. Doesn't matter how many aircraft are based there... you will still get done in within the 90 day time frame +/-.
Seriously... it's up to you. Here's a few examples of how people have chosen:

1. Some folks who live right next to a location actually chose a location several hundred miles away so that they wouldn't have any distractions from friends and family while they focused on their training.

2. Folks who live up north... chose the sunny south for a change of pace.

3. Folks who live down south... have chosen the north in the winter time to get some real time winter weather flying experience.

4. Folks who haven't flown in congested airspace... have chosen PHX, DFW, ATL, etc... to get used to flying in and around the Bravo... and flying SIDS and STARS.

5. Folks who live in relatively flat areas of the country have chosen locations that allow them to gain some mountainous terrain experience.

6. Those that live where it's primarly "Clear blue and a million" have chosen other locations where the weather is a bit more challenging.

7. Those who live in small towns... have chosen larger town locations to spice up their life a bit...

8. Folks who live in Kansas... may want to train at a place where they can study on the beach.

9. Some folks have chosen a more centrally located location in the hopes of getting to both coasts in the cross country phase.

10. Some folks have chosen the closest possible location to them so they can go home as often as possible...

Regardless... it really doesn't make that much of a difference. Like you said... you are going to ATP to fly your butt off!
wink.gif
Everything else is secondary. To me... this is one of the coolest bennies to training at ATP. You are not limited to just one or two locations... you can go anywhere you want.

Personally... if I didn't have a daughter at home when I was going through the program... then I would have liked to have trained somewhere that would be have been different from anywhere else I've lived/flown. I've lived in Texas... the MidWest... and New England. So... I'd have probably picked something like the beach, mountains, or the west coast. Remember, housing is included no matter where you go.

Anyway... don't know if that helped or not... but it should provide some perspective for you.
smile.gif

Back